Buerhle's comments, regardind Indians Series

Bias

Anybody else bothered by him saying they could get swept? I think that's poor leadership....while it may be reality I don't like the mood and him saying that leads me to believe he doesn't think they can get it done.

Am I making too much of it? I hope it's a wake up call, but I don't think it is.......

I think this team is as pissed off as all us fans are, and Buehrle just spoke his mind. This 2nd half of the season, he's lost control of his mouth and his change-up. He's still one of my favorite players, and it's better to see this than the bulls*** some of the other members of the organization were saying up until a week ago.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Anybody else bothered by him saying they could get swept?  I think that's poor leadership....while it may be reality I don't like the mood and him saying that leads me to believe he doesn't think they can get it done.

Am I making too much of it?  I hope it's a wake up call, but I don't think it is.......

It depends whether you prefer the team to sound pessimistic or delusional.

The LAST thing I'd want to hear is "Everything's going to be all right" until I SEE something that shows me everything is going to be all right.

I didn't see or hear his comments, so I'd need to know the context. I'm assuming it's along the lines of "if we don't play the way we're capable of playing, we could get swept", and that to me is perfectly acceptable. If he were to say "Oh, man, those guys can MASH!!! We could get swept, no problem!!!", then I'd say he went overboard.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
It depends whether you prefer the team to sound pessimistic or delusional.

The LAST thing I'd want to hear is "Everything's going to be all right" until I SEE something that shows me everything is going to be all right.

I didn't see or hear his comments, so I'd need to know the context. I'm assuming it's along the lines of "if we don't play the way we're capable of playing, we could get swept", and that to me is perfectly acceptable. If he were to say "Oh, man, those guys can MASH!!! We could get swept, no problem!!!", then I'd say he went overboard.

Well, I prefer them to be realistic but I don't want to hear a player talking about getting swept. I mean that's pretty obvious, but I don't want the players thinking/feeling that way. I just don't think it bodes well. Of course I could be wrong.

I feel you Bias. We all know the situation and the possiblilities, we just don't want to hear it coming from a player's mouth. Of course a player should be aware of possibly losing, but it should be the last thing on your mind. First comes thinking about it, then accepting it and then it sometimes actually happens.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
I feel you Bias. We all know the situation and the possiblilities, we just don't want to hear it coming from a player's mouth. Of course a player should be aware of possibly losing, but it should be the last thing on your mind. First comes thinking about it, then accepting it and then it sometimes actually happens.

The question is this...is Buehrle "accepting" that they might lose, or is he trying to come up with some motivation by realizing they're not playing well, in the hopes that the realization that they're screwing up will help them not lose?

I think it's the latter. I don't think he's resigned to losing to them at all, I think he's trying to give the other players the swift kick in the arse that they need.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
I think the collar is tightening around the collective necks of the White Sox players, not no mention that they weren't as good as they played in the 1st half.

I strongly disagree with this statement. This team could even have played better in the first half, especially if they could figure out the Oakland enigma. Top to bottom, this is a very good team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
The question is this...is Buehrle "accepting" that they might lose, or is he trying to come up with some motivation by realizing they're not playing well, in the hopes that the realization that they're screwing up will help them not lose?

I think it's the latter.  I don't think he's resigned to losing to them at all, I think he's trying to give the other players the swift kick in the arse that they need.

I doubt that. If at this point, this team needs to still 'realize' that they're playing poorly, they're done.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Thought I read somewhere that they'll miss Cliff Lee, too.

That's OK by me.

It should be discouraging news. The fact that we miss C.C. and Lee is bad because we cannot hit right-handed pitching. Lefties are the only reason our offense isn't worse (imagine that).

Believe it or not, NOBODY on this team is hitting above .280 against right-handed pitching. That is horrid.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Instead of someone trying to motivate the team by making saying some vague statement, I'd prefer Ozzie (or anyone, really) to start throwing chairs around in the clubhouse and flipping out and hyping these guys up.

Do we know for a fact that he isn't?

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
God I hope he isn't. Cuz if he is, it's not working and I'm out of ideas.

I agree. I think he's very late in deciding to play his opening day lineup for the stretch run. Like 2 weeks late.

If I'm Ozzie and Kenny I chew this team out completely. I want thrown chairs and Gatorade, broken doors, bent steel and cracked bats.

If this team chokes it away, I want to see it completely blown up. There is no excuse for this s***ty play.

I see MB as a leader on this team, whether I'm right or not is another story, but that's my perception.

A leader, be it in business, sports, or politics, should NEVER let the concept of defeat flow out of their mouths. Mark, if you wanna think in your head that we could get swept, fine, think it. But, as a leader, he should have NEVER said a word about the Sox getting swept. Hell, he's already failed on the "lead by example" front considering he can't seem to pitch a quality start, and now the word "sweep" is coming out of his mouth? We all know how baseball works, the fans and the players. We all know that a sweep is possible, especially considering the way they've been playing. But for a leader to confirm those suspicions is unacceptable, IMO.