Bears Vs Detroit

Kyyle23

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Thomas Jones might kick some ass against a defense like this, but let's not forget that he's slightly above average at best.  Would he make a Top 25 list of RBs in this league?  Perhaps, but barely.  Now, Cedric Benson?  There is a good possibility that he could be Top 10 in his prime.

Oh, and Soxfan101, I consider Wilkinson to be merely adequate at this juncture (why he's not listed despite the fact that he starts over Bell), and I believe that Bly can sniff out big plays, but he's nothing more than adequate on coverage.

you see, Jones is above average, which is better than we can say for the receivers and O-line (which has improved, it seems). drafting Mike Williams would give Orton two quality receivers to throw to, thus improving the run game and passing attack because defenses would have to worry about a receiver not named Muhammad. look at the stats for today, Muhammad caught 6, nobody else caught more than 2, and only Gage had more than 10 per catch, while Jones ran wild.

and Wilkinson is a head-case, but when he's on his game he's All-Pro caliber.

Edited by AirScott

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
you see, Jones is above average, which is better than we can say for the receivers and O-line (which has improved, it seems).  drafting Mike Williams would give Orton two quality receivers to throw to, thus improving the run game and passing attack because defenses would have to worry about a receiver not named Muhammad.  look at the stats for today, Muhammad caught 6, nobody else caught more than 2, and only Gage had more than 10 per catch, while Jones ran wild.

Good receivers come a dime a dozen in this league. There are more than just a few teams with 3 or more capable receivers in this league. Let's see, there's St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc.

Now, good RBs on the other hand? Precious commodities. That's why you go for the horse when he's available. There is absolutely no argument. You always grab the potential franchise back and hit the FA market for good WRs, who are everywhere. You don't waste a high pick on one.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
and Wilkinson is a head-case, but when he's on his game he's All-Pro caliber.

Well, he's only been in the league for 13 years now. All-Pro Caliber? Yeah, back in 1998. He is nowhere near what he once was.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
I've been saying that since April.  going into the draft, we had bigger worries than RB, if we draft Mike Williams we'd be drafting the receiver we thought David Terrell would be.

When Jones does this for a whole season, against a defense that's just a wee bit better than Detroit's, then tell me he's a good back.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Good receivers come a dime a dozen in this league.  There are more than just a few teams with 3 or more capable receivers in this league.  Let's see, there's St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc. 

Now, good RBs on the other hand?  Precious commodities.  That's why you go for the horse when he's available.  There is absolutely no argument.  You always grab the potential franchise back and hit the FA market for good WRs, who are everywhere.  You don't waste a high pick on one. 

Well, he's only been in the league for 13 years now.  All-Pro Caliber?  Yeah, back in 1998.  He is nowhere near what he once was.

I'm just saying that a RB was the least of our worries going into the draft. 6-5, 230 pound receivers with great hands and good speed aren't a dime-a-dozen in this league, though. Mike Williams will help this team out more this year than Benson, but now that I think of it, keep starting Jones, raise his trade value and bring in some WR help for next year.

and read my post about Wilkinson again. I said when he's on his game, which, unfortunately for Lions fans, is about 2-3 games a year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
When Jones does this for a whole season, against a defense that's just a wee bit better than Detroit's, then tell me he's a good back.

he was doing this last year, even when he was the only threat because teams knew Jonathan Quinn couldn't hit any receivers, and the receivers sucked. remember, there was no Marty Booker, our "#1" was Justin Gage last year.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
he was doing this last year, even when he was the only threat because teams knew Jonathan Quinn couldn't hit any receivers, and the receivers sucked.  remember, there was no Marty Booker, our "#1" was Justin Gage last year.

Where was he last week? He's never going to hold up for a whole season. If he does this year, and runs for 1300+ yards, then you can rub it in my face all you want.

Until then, he's just an average back who's been a bust as a top (he was picked in the top ten, right?) pick.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Detroit to hold the Bears under 100 yards rushing, and Detroit to win 17-10.

Well, they did hold them under 100 yds rushing in the first half..they had like 91..

:P

Good solid game by the Bears..The D came out today with a chip on their shoulder after last weeks crapfest. Fun game..next week looks like a really tough one..Bengals offense looks likes last years Colts..

Edited by GASHWOUND

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Where was he last week?  He's never going to hold up for a whole season.  If he does this year, and runs for 1300+ yards, then you can rub it in my face all you want.

Until then, he's just an average back who's been a bust as a top (he was picked in the top ten, right?) pick.

I'd say he's a border-line bust as it is, he was picked 7th (?) by the Cardinals. he has shown he has the talent to be successful, but never really put it all together.

but last week the Redskins were keyed in on the run, they forced Orton to attempt to beat them. seemed to work, didn't it?

Edited by AirScott

Man, I was totally f***ing impressed today. We ran up and down that Detroit D. I'm still not sure about Waly's injury. Any updates? Vasher is such a ball-hawk it is amazing. Azumah is THE kick-returner and Wade is THE punt-returner. The LB's and D-Line dominated the Detoilet run game and they had Harrington all over the place. Mike Brown....WOW! Awesome game by the offense too. Orton is getting better, it was awesome to hear MOOOOOOOOSE and the run game was unstoppable. Let's win another next Sunday!

QUOTE(Wedge @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
the North looks absolutely horrible.  The Bears should finish no worse than 4-2 in the divisional play, but with that defense, they could probably go 6-0.  8-8 will probably win the division.

Yeah, obviously the Packers aren't what they used to be, the Vikings are having serious problems. Which leaves it to the Bears and the Lions. After what the Bears did to the Lions today that leaves the Bears in a great position. It's only after week 2 though but depending on how the Bears do at Minnesota and at Green Bay later on in the season will be key to see if the Bears will in it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Detroit to hold the Bears under 100 yards rushing, and Detroit to win 17-10.

This is why I said you shouldn't talk about the Bears, stick to the Cowboys and just forget the Bears exist. You're absolute bias toward the boys and against the Bears makes it impossible for you to make a logical prediction involving the Bears.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
This is why I said you shouldn't talk about the Bears, stick to the Cowboys and just forget the Bears exist. You're absolute bias toward the boys and against the Bears makes it impossible for you to make a logical prediction involving the Bears.

what a f***ing game! :cheers Us , Bear fans, were f***ing excited about this D for a reason!

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
what a f***ing game!  :cheers    Us , Bear fans, were  f***ing excited about this D for a reason!

I laugh thus far. All my friends laughed at me. I waited till the very end of the draft and snagged the Bears defense for my fantasy team. This week, 33 points for my defense after Daunte (sucks ass) put up another horrid week for me (man I was an idiot to draft him).

I :wub: the Bears and Sox and even those Bulls

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I laugh thus far.  All my friends laughed at me.  I waited till the very end of the draft and snagged the Bears defense for my fantasy team.  This week, 33 points for my defense after Daunte (sucks ass) put up another horrid week for me (man I was an idiot to draft him).

:wub: the Bears and Sox and even those Bulls

I snagged them at the end of my draft too and my league is with all Bears fans. Anyways, they got me 34 points this week. :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 04:00 AM)

Do you have some type of beef with DBAHO, lol?

He might know more about the NFL than anyone on this site. And besides, who on Earth can make a logical prediction when it comes to the Bears.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
Do you have some type of beef with DBAHO, lol?

He might know more about the NFL than anyone on this site.  And besides, who on Earth can make a logical prediction when it comes to the Bears.

I dont agree. I think his knowledge of the Bears is seriously lacking. Just look at the QB thread and see if he knows much about the bears.

Secondly, I was at the game this sunday, and what a game it was. Bear Down seemed to be coming over the loudspeaker every 5 min. Great weather, great game. Lets put two weeks together now.

Orton looked great BTW, great poise, made throws when he needed to, and ran the offense efficiently. He made some GREAT audibles at the line.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)

Could you have predicted the Bears would score over 30 points before yesterday's game? The Bears did exactly what they had to do to win games, theire defense has to create turnovers, and they have to get the running game going. When they get that going, and at home, they'll be tough to beat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
I dont agree.  I think his knowledge of the Bears is seriously lacking.  Just look at the QB thread and see if he knows much about the bears.

Because I'm not in love with Orton and am willing to give Grossman another chance?

Dbajo is a little cowboys biased but everyone is when it comes to their favorite team especially in the NFL when its any given sunday. As far as his knowledge of the Bears he seems to know them fairly well. Being Bears fans we should know more about our team but I too think Orton and Grossman should be open competition next season so dont know whats the problem with that.