Back to the 1940s - Sox vs Twinkies 9-17

knightni

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
Good, the Sox deserve it.  If they do blow this lead and miss the playoffs, they deserve to be the laughingstock of MLB.

Well...I bet the Angels will start really pulling for Cleveland any day...this could make people totally forget 1995.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh it will be. Even when the nation doesn't care about y ou...they always take delight in rooting for the underdog, and in watching things that have never happened before. Cleveland is the underdog now...and they've got a shot to do something that has never happened before.

On top of that...they have to cover the Indians because the Yankees are behind them for the Wild Card...and that just leads itself to coverage of the Sox collapse.

We do deserve the mocking we'll get.

The players deserve blame as does KW for not making a deal or 2.

At the time I agreed with KW to not break up the team at all.

My applause to you guys and/or girls on here who wanted us to make

a deal before the deadline.

How did you know it's what we needed?

I thought for sure we had the team that was gonna pull a Cardinals

and run away with the division maybe even for years to come.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
We're not the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, or Cubs.  Basically, that means that no one cares very much about the Sox.  I don't think the national bashing will be all that bad.

If the Sox fail to make the playoffs, they will have the distinction of being the team with the largest lead ever that did not make the playoffs....Brooklyn Dodgers in '51 were 13 up and didn't make it, and the Red Sox in '78 were 14 up and lost the one game playoff at the end of the year to the Yankees...

the Sox were 15 up on August 1....

it will be history in the making and you better believe BBTN, Sportscenter and all the sports blab radio statons will be all over it....

if it happens, I don't plan on listening to any sports blab radio or cable sports shows until Christmas...

Reinsdorf must be absolutely beside himself right now....I'm just glad I'm not KW, Ozzie, or any of the players and have to live it wherever I go....

I still think the right decision at the trading deadline was not to make a move...because no matter what happens this season, this team is going to need to get younger in the next few years. Trading away assets like BMac, Jenks, Anderson, etc, would have removed any chance we would have had to get younger. We would have wound up spending the next few years as a .500 team with a bunch of holes that we can't fill, just like the last few years.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
We do deserve the mocking we'll get.

The players deserve blame as does KW for not making a deal or 2.

At the time I agreed with KW to not break up the team at all.

My applause to you guys and/or girls on here who wanted us to make

a deal before the deadline.

How did you know it's what we needed?

I thought for sure we had the team that was gonna pull a Cardinals

and run away with the division maybe even for years to come.

I still don't think a deal was needed. The Sox players just need to remember how to do the basics, pitch/field/hit.