Have We Been Spoiled?

GoRowand33

Think About

We've already won five more games than last year

Jon Garland has pitched better than any one expected

no one thought the offense would be good at the beginning of the season anyways

dustin hermanson wasn't supposed to be one of the leagues best closers

so i say we enjoy the pennant race and hope for the best

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Think About

We've already won five more games than last year

Jon Garland has pitched better than any one expected

no one thought the offense would be good at the beginning of the season anyways

dustin hermanson wasn't supposed to be one of the leagues best closers

so i say we enjoy the pennant race and hope for the best

We haven't won a World Series since 1917. How exactly are we spoiled?

This team doesn't inspire me in the least. It cannot and will not win deep in the postseason. The 03 team at least had a shot if we made it there. That team had its flaws but had a superior offense along with less pitching depth but 1-3 it was as good or better. I bought into Ozzie-ball after some skepticism but now I feel foolish for thinking that this is how you win games.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
This team doesn't inspire me in the least. It cannot and will not win deep in the postseason. The 03 team at least had a shot if we made it there. That team had its flaws but had a superior offense along with less pitching depth but 1-3 it was as good or better. I bought into Ozzie-ball after some skepticism but now I feel foolish for thinking that this is how you win games.

Count me in on that one. I stopped believing in Ozzieball about 3 months ago, though.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)

What is Ozzie ball anyway? I have no idea what kind of ball he is trying to get his team to play at this point. I'll take the bashing and the heat if it comes. Or the yawns and crickets for that matter. Ozzie is a train wreck of a Major League Baseball manager.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
What is Ozzie ball anyway? I have no idea what kind of ball he is trying to get his team to play at this point. I'll take the bashing and the heat if it comes. Or the yawns and crickets for that matter. Ozzie is a train wreck of a Major League Baseball manager.

Several months ago I could have given you a definition of "Ozzieball." I would have said sacrificing yourself for advancing a runner or automatically scoring a RISP with less than 2 outs was Ozzieball. I would have said solid defense, superb pitching combined with timely hitting ultimately defined this concept.

Now, it appears Guillen is done preaching his philosophy to anyone within an ear shot. Perhaps Guillen has realized his philosphy doesn't work well with a team uncapable of consistently producing runs. It was easy to accept the ideals of some magical concept termed "Ozzieball" when the club held the best record in Major League Baseball. Now, I don't give a f*** what the name is for our style of play. Whether that's "corpseball," or "smartball," this team needs to pull itself together and win this division. After which, we'll hope the pitching pulls itself together in a possible playoff series.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
Care to explain?

sure

lets ignore the espn expectations

but honestly who here thought we would dominate the entire american league

I was hopeful of a divison run and I thought the team was improved

but no one was expecting this, so thats how were spoiled

even with the loss today i'm hopeful we can win the division

:gosox3:

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Ozzieball is a hoax.

It is a hoax and we know it is a hoax when Hawk stops buying into is. Hawk used to be th biggest supporter of ozzieball, remember all of the "OZZIEBALL --ITS AND ATTITUDE!!" Hawk hasnt said anything about it in months. THat when you know it is not working because Hawk finds things to blow ozzie about and it isnt happening any more.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
If the White Sox blow this lead and don't make the playoffs, this season will have harmed this organization a lot more than any 81-81 season could have ever done.

You think the recent home crowds against KC were disappointing? Wait till next year if this meltdown continues.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)

You got that right.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
The worst thing about this is, IF the worst-case scenario plays out we can never trust ANY lead the Sox might ever have again.

...and I'm not even sure how much I'm kidding about that....

You are right. If they don't make the playoffs this will be a more damaging season than if they lost 100 games.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
You are right. If they don't make the playoffs this will be a more damaging season than if they lost 100 games.

Much in the same way a 9th inning one-run loss can be much worse than a 10-0 drubbing sometimes.

What would next year's slogan be if El Choke-O Grande comes to pass?

"....at least we died trying...."?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
No.

We haven't been spoiled.

14 straight division titles - THAT's being spoiled.

Half a great year followed by even the HINT of a choke = being TEASED.

Only having one World Series in 14 straight years is kinda being teased too. But at leas they have one.