Don't Look Now Volume 2

The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Anyone else notice that the Sox are only 4 games ahead of the Yankees for the AL Wild Card?

This is getting f***in' serious now.

Sox gotta get some goddamn wins and put this s*** to rest already.

Seems like recently neither the Yanks or Indians will lose, only us.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Seems like recently neither the Yanks or Indians will lose, only us.

Not trying to be a prick or anything ( Lord knows I don't have to try ), but that's what Cub fans say to this day about the '69 Mets.

....it doesn't make them feel better, and it won't make US feel any better either....

Well, I guess the other bit of good news is that we're also ahead of Boston...which means that there are 4 teams in the hunt for 3 playoff spots, and we have a head start on all 4 of them.

If we win our next couple games...all this concern and talk immediately will go away.

(I feel like I need to be drinking to remain this optimistic)

I would not be happy to settle for a Wild Card spot in the playoffs. Tis team has led its division ALL year long and now are in such a tail spin as to lead to talk of finishing as the Wild card team. It wouldn't matter if we did make it to the playoffs as the WC becasue we would blow that too. These veterans had better get their stuff together and our manager had better find a way to motivate and lead this team to some wins. That's his job for crying out loud and he sticks with pitchers that can't make it out of the 3rd or 4th inning when he has a rookie that has shut down two of the big powerhouse offenses in the league in Boston and Texas and won't start him. I guess we are all expected to look back on this season after we blow it and say Ozzie stuck by his players even when it costs us a chance for a pennant. Ozzie and company you need to WAKE UP!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
FWIW, Wild Card teams have won the World Series the past 3 years.

Angels, Marlins, and the Red Sox each fought their way into the postseason by winning. Sox, on the other hand, appear on the verge of backing themselves into a Wild Card birth.

Only saving grace from the White Sox if they blow this division lead is to win a World Series. Might as well create two unbelievable feats in one year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I'll be happy anyway the Sox make the playoffs.  Even if they get swept and lose every game 10-0, it's better than not making it at all.

I disagree..if this team falls bass-ackwards into the playoffs and then gets its ass handed to it in round 1, the fact that we made the playoffs might work as an excuse for KW not to do any changes to this team that it's starting to become obvious we need to see next year.

If this team manages to wind up in the playoffs, I want to see a damn series win. Or at least something competitive. They're close enough to breaking my heart right now, to make it and then just roll over would snap the rest.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 06:57 AM)
I can't even walk outside without a Cubs fan pointing and laughing at me.  I would bring up 2003,  but this is so much worse.

You think you have it bad, I live in a house with two Cubs fans and a Indians fan. But who cares what all these other people say. We still have the best record in the American League. Let's not get premature here and start comparing this to the 2003 Cubs. We have six games against the Indians left, we still control our own destiny. If people here want to start believing we are going to blow this lead in the remaining 15 games, then fine, but please keep it to yourself. There is absolutely, positively no good in preaching that we are going to choke.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 06:57 AM)
I can't even walk outside without a Cubs fan pointing and laughing at me.  I would bring up 2003,  but this is so much worse.

This has nothing on the 2003 collapse by the Cubs. 5 outs away with a 3 run lead and a game up in the series from making the World Series is in a hell of a lot better position to have a "dream" season than the Sox this year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)

Cub fans are f***tarded. Their's is still worse. They were 5 outs away from making it to the World Series. They had two chances at home to put them away with their "aces" on the mound. However, none of that happened because goats are not extinct and a Marlin hit a foul ball. :rolly

Last I checked, our season's not done. It's far from it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Because that's what happens.  There were tons of us going nuts when the Cubs collapsed also.

Very true.

I know SOME Cub fans who have been waiting for something like this since October 2003.

I also know some decent, knowledgable baseball fans who happen to favor the Cubs, and these people are sympathetic towards Sox fans right now, because they've felt the pain.

I just want the Sox to pull out of the spiral for their own sake and for our sake. The avoidance of Cub troll trauma will be a happy side effect of that.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
i understand all that, but does it really need to come up in a thread like this?

One thing I've noticed during this potential collapse is that it really doesn't matter what the topic of the thread is, people will just post their doomsday beliefs anywhere.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
i understand all that, but does it really need to come up in a thread like this?

People are just venting. I think it's understandable. Almost every thread these days reverts somehow to the slump, so it's difficult for me to try to tell people where to vent.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
People are just venting. I think it's understandable. Almost every thread these days reverts somehow to the slump, so it's difficult for me to try to tell people where to vent.

You can count the people who are still overly optimistic on one hand now, it seems. When guys like Hawk, DJ, and Farmer seem to have lost hope, then you know it might be time to be worried.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)

yeah, i guess.

i'm been venting my frustrations elsewhere and been staying off soxtalk for the most part.