Carl Everett

Dick Allen

He and Konerko sure are a potent middle of the order aren't they. I assume we'll hear of some injury that one has played through and how tough the other is on himself when he is struggling.

Should neither get out their slumps for the remainder of the year, at least this will allow Frank to return without any necessary thought as DH and 1B will be vacant.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
If the Sox continue to slump and not make the playoffs, I think it's safe to say that PK won't be back.  If that's the case, then I don't want to see Everett and Thomas brought back.  Rather, a new batch of players could be brought in with that freed up money.

Personally...my plan as it stands now (subject to revision depending on future events) would involve either picking up Everett's option and trading him or just letting him walk, also shopping Dye around for prospects now that he's had a fully healthy season, taking Timo Perez out into the middle of Montana and driving off when we stop the car so that he can use the bathroom...

Then, give Anderson a shot in right field/Center field, give Borchard a shot at the Everett DH/outfield backup role just because we've invested so much time and money in him, and figure out a way to keep #35 on this team in the 3rd roster spot.

This team needs to get younger and it needs to get younger soon. Otherwise we won't have the money to keep guys like Buehrle and Garland around.

You know, I'm not even sure I agree with that...I can't really think of any single stretch in this season where Everett has carried us. He's won us ballgames, he's had decent stretches where he's been useful, but even when he's been hitting well, he's only been 1 piece in a machine.

Konerko? He's carried this team for a period. Uribe...check. Dye? Check. Podsednik? Yeah, back in May, him and Iguchi. Crede? Check...2 weeks back in April. But Everett...when he gets going he's steady, but not a monster.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
You know, I'm not even sure I agree with that...I can't really think of any single stretch in this season where Everett has carried us.  He's won us ballgames, he's had decent stretches where he's been useful, but even when he's been hitting well, he's only been 1 piece in a machine.

Konerko?  He's carried this team for a period.  Uribe...check.  Dye?  Check.  Podsednik?  Yeah, back in May, him and Iguchi.  Crede?  Check...2 weeks back in April.  But Everett...when he gets going he's steady, but not a monster.

in April especially during the early Twins series.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Speaking of carl everett, does anyone else think it is really funny that his favorite catroon ever is the Flintstones? THey had it in last week's online newsletter.

Oh and i agree he needs a break from the line up. He is brutal!

That's impossible, there are dinosaurs in Flintstones.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
You know, I'm not even sure I agree with that...I can't really think of any single stretch in this season where Everett has carried us.  He's won us ballgames, he's had decent stretches where he's been useful, but even when he's been hitting well, he's only been 1 piece in a machine.

Konerko?  He's carried this team for a period.  Uribe...check.  Dye?  Check.  Podsednik?  Yeah, back in May, him and Iguchi.  Crede?  Check...2 weeks back in April.  But Everett...when he gets going he's steady, but not a monster.

Borchard won't be around next year.

Everett was a vital cog early when we were cruising to wins every night.

Remember some pundits thought it was a shame Frank was returning when he did if it would take any at bats from Everett.

He's sucked of late.

I've never really been a fan of the guy, but if he can help us hold off the assholes then he'll be one of my favorites.

Everett needs to kick ass this series somehow.

I wish the guys would just stroke the baseball vs. Cleveland's good pitching and not try to jack 'em all out.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Everett was a vital cog early when we were cruising to wins every night.

Remember some pundits thought it was a shame Frank was returning when he did if it would take any at bats from Everett.

He's sucked of late.

I've never really been a fan of the guy, but if he can help us hold off the assholes then he'll be one of my favorites.

Everett needs to kick ass this series somehow.

I wish the guys would just stroke the baseball vs. Cleveland's good pitching and not try to jack 'em all out.

When Carl was hitting and KOnerko wasn't Konerko would play everyday . Carl would be substituted a lot and at one time Carl and Konerko were almost tied with about 63 and Carl had I think about 100 less at bats. NOw that Carl is slumping we never see him out of the line up?????

The Sox can not afford to not resign Konerko. Unless they plan on trading for 2-3 major bats. Since I find that unrealistic, I expect and hope Konerko is brought back. He probably should be in the 5 spot (with the Sox finding a new 3 and 4 hole hitter).

I would like to see the Sox make a serious push at Hank Blalock. Try to work out a 3 way deal with another team where that other team gives up a good starter, the Sox give up Duque, and 3 TOP TOP prospects (not named Chris Young or Bmac). If not Blalock, make a push at Tex. Both are going to be on the block and can be had for a frontline starter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Rangers will want Contreras, and not Duque.  El Duque has absolutely no trade value this offseason. 

I would do Contreras, Marte, and Sweeney for Blalock and another player.  That would significantly upgrade our offense, and we'd be getting maximum value out of Contreras.

I'd do that as well.

I should mention that Marte would be going as part of the deal with another stud pitcher. He would not be the stud pitcher. You are probably right on them preferring Contrers. Regardless, I'd like to make it a 3 team deal with the other team giving up a pitcher for prospects (obviously you would have one team thats in rebuilding mode, the Sox and the Rangers).

Marte and Contreras would have them thinking though (along with Sweeney) and I think I'd do that deal, but only if the Sox are willing to pick up another starter (and send Duque elsewhere for a loogy).

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
It's too bad we're not in the NBA, as the NY Knicks would sure love to take Duque's contract off of our hands.

I wish Steve Phillips were still GM'ing. He loves ugly ass contracts.

Maybe the Yankees, with their rotation as ugly as it's ever been, could think they'd be able to find life in Duque. It's happened before.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I wish Steve Phillips were still GM'ing.  He loves ugly ass contracts.

Maybe the Yankees, with their rotation as ugly as it's ever been, could think they'd be able to find life in Duque.  It's happened before.

Yeah I could see the Yanks being interested in bringing him back, or even someone like the Dodgers who were interested in him in the last off-season.