Carl Everett

Dick Allen

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
I would be all over that deal. However, if the Sox were to pick up the tab on El Duque, and ship Marte and Sweeney over for Blalock, they might bite. El Duque still might be able to get something, I really beleive that.

Either way, we should be on the phone with Texas this off-season.

Or you deal Duque and a guy like Sean Tracey for another starting pitcher (one thats more attractive to Texas) and give Texas the pitcher we got for Duque/Tracey and than Sweeney.

But I agree, they could consider Marte, Duque, Sweeney, but I have my doubts. I just don't think Duque is that good.

Maybe get the Dodgers involved and snag Odalis Perez and let him be the centerpiece.

Sweeney, Marte, and Contreras for Blalock I'd do in a heartbeat.

But we still will need one more starter next year (not counting El Dookie) as I will assume that BMAC will win out the #4 starter's slot.

If we can find a fifth, we're sitting pretty, Cruddy will be gone (and Blalock plays SOLID at third, so don't give me the defense s***, people), and something tells me that we will still need one more big bat, and we're set.

For the "gamer" this guy was cracked up to be, check out his .161 average with 16 strikeouts in September. He's all talk. Talk with your bat, #8.

Agreed. It's almost time for the Sox to cut loose Mr. Neanderthal so that he and his Bible can find employment elsewhere...

Put Borchard in. He seems to have finally figured it out.

QUOTE(Rich McKinney @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
Agreed. It's almost time for the Sox to cut loose Mr. Neanderthal so that he and his Bible can find employment elsewhere...

Put Borchard in. He seems to have finally figured it out.

Absolutely. This is the one guy in that clubhouse who seems to be nowhere near the same attitude and demeanor as the rest of the team. He has a history of off-the-field and on-the-field maturity problems, despite his bible-beating. And oh yeah, he isn't really all that great a hitter (certainly not a 3-hole guy).

Cut him loose, get anything you can for him. Let Borchard/Anderson battle it out.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
For the "gamer" this guy was cracked up to be, check out his .161 average with 16 strikeouts in September. He's all talk. Talk with your bat, #8.

everyone has bad slumps from time to time. they can last a long time (remember konerko's?). you are probably one of those people who was calling for paulies head earlier this season and is praising him now.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Sweeney, Marte, and Contreras for Blalock I'd do in a heartbeat.

But we still will need one more starter next year (not counting El Dookie) as I will assume that BMAC will win out the #4 starter's slot.

If we can find a fifth, we're sitting pretty, Cruddy will be gone (and Blalock plays SOLID at third, so don't give me the defense s***, people), and something tells me that we will still need one more big bat, and we're set.

i dont see us getting rid of crede. you can rant and rave all you want about it, but i dont think hes going anywhere. i very well could be wrong, however. but look at it from texas' perspective- why would they get rid of blalock? trade him for crede? theres no way that is happening.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
i dont see us getting rid of crede. you can rant and rave all you want about it, but i dont think hes going anywhere. i very well could be wrong, however. but look at it from texas' perspective- why would they get rid of blalock? trade him for crede? theres no way that is happening.

Well, if we trade Texas, it would be for a pitcher, a solid one. JC's value is pretty high right now.

They need to move a piece to get a good arm, and they know it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 06:05 AM)
Well, if we trade Texas, it would be for a pitcher, a solid one.  JC's value is pretty high right now.

They need to move a piece to get a good arm, and they know it.

They have needed to move a piece to get a good arm for a couple years now, and each year they've chosen not to do it. This year they even traded away a pitcher to get another bat.

It would be very smart of them to talk to someone like Chicago or Minnesota about grabbing one of their young bats, but thus far they've just been unwilling to do it. I think they're just scared about trading any player the fans like for pitching and having it blow up in their face.

Plus, my money says Soriano is the first one to move from that team out of anyone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
If the Sox continue to slump and not make the playoffs, I think it's safe to say that PK won't be back.  If that's the case, then I don't want to see Everett and Thomas brought back.  Rather, a new batch of players could be brought in with that freed up money.

My sentiments exactly....Giles and Overbay with Jermaine DHing...

Do we actually want to give up Contreras? Blalock is a stud and I love him, but Jose's turned into something special this second half. We can't fill his shoes on the FA market. Not next year's FA market. Personally, I'd much rather sign Mueller, and make our usual one trade for Overbay. Would it be too much to ask for the Sox to sign Mueller and Giles, trade for Overbay, and DH Dye?

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Do we actually want to give up Contreras?  Blalock is a stud and I love him, but Jose's turned into something special this second half.  We can't fill his shoes on the FA market.  Not next year's FA market.  Personally, I'd much rather sign Mueller, and make our usual one trade for Overbay.  Would it be too much to ask for the Sox to sign Mueller and Giles, trade for Overbay, and DH Dye?

Do not forget 2 things about Jose...

1. He is a free agent after next year. Which means it is entirely possible that if we don't use him as trade bait, he'll disappear and we'll have nothing to show for it.

2. He is also getting up in years. We don't know exactly how old he is (Cuba again), but he has a lot of mileage on that arm. Who is to say that his arm won't finally give out one of these years?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
They have needed to move a piece to get a good arm for a couple years now, and each year they've chosen not to do it.  This year they even traded away a pitcher to get another bat.

It would be very smart of them to talk to someone like Chicago or Minnesota about grabbing one of their young bats, but thus far they've just been unwilling to do it.  I think they're just scared about trading any player the fans like for pitching and having it blow up in their face.

Plus, my money says Soriano is the first one to move from that team out of anyone.

Calling Chan Ho Park a pitcher, is like calling El Duque's second half solid.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Do not forget 2 things about Jose...

1.  He is a free agent after next year.  Which means it is entirely possible that if we don't use him as trade bait, he'll disappear and we'll have nothing to show for it.

2.  He is also getting up in years.  We don't know exactly how old he is (Cuba again), but he has a lot of mileage on that arm.  Who is to say that his arm won't finally give out one of these years?

But still, taking him out of this rotation would create a major hole. No one on the FA market would fill it. BMac in all probability can't fill it either. Where would we be this second half without Jose Contreras? When there are offensive players that can fill our needs on the FA market, I would hope we'd go that route instead of trading away important talent.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
But still, taking him out of this rotation would create a major hole.  No one on the FA market would fill it.  BMac in all probability can't fill it either.  Where would we be this second half without Jose Contreras?  When there are offensive players that can fill our needs on the FA market, I would hope we'd go that route instead of trading away important talent.

Jarrod Washburn (3.35 ERA)

Kevin Millwood (3.02 ERA)

Paul Byrd (3.62 ERA)

Are all FAs after the '05 season and could all fit the #4 hole with BMAC taking over the #5 for El Duque.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Jarrod Washburn (3.35 ERA)

Kevin Millwood (3.02 ERA)

Paul Byrd (3.62 ERA)

Are all FAs after the '05 season and could all fit the #4 hole with BMAC taking over the #5 for El Duque.

Millwood and Washburn yes, but Byrd I don't think so. Are you prepared to give Millwood or Washburn a 4 year deal worth around 9-10 million per?

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Does crede even have some value?

He's a young 3rd baseman with decent power, very good defense, a cheap contract, and a lot of room for improvement if your coaches do their jobs.

Yes, he has some value. Could be higher of course (a great postseasonw ould help), but certainly non zero.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Carl Everett

GS   AB   HR   RBI   AVG  OBP  SLG 

Before Frank    43  158    6    30  .234 .300 .392

With Frank      25  106    8    26  .311 .327 .594

After Frank  46  178    8    26  .230 .305 .382

It's a good point, but just remember 1 thing...correlation does not necessarily prove causation.