1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

- - - - - - - - - - - -

JACKSONVILLE 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 7 0

BIRMINGHAM 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 x 3 6 1 FINAL

WP - ENEMENCIO PACHECO (3-0)

LP - SCOTT PROCTOR (1-2)

SAVE - ROYCE RING (6)

HOME RUNS: JAC - REGGIE ABERCROMBIE (4) OFF ENEMENCIO PACHECO IN THE 5TH

TIME: 2:23 ATT: 7,967--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extended Box

JACKSONVILLE (2) AT BIRMINGHAM (3)

JACKSONVILLE AB R H BI BIRMINGHAM AB R H BI

J Feliciano LF 4 0 1 0 C Durham CF 3 2 1 0

M Collins SS 4 0 2 0 D Sandoval 2B 3 1 2 0

D Detienne PR 0 0 0 0 R Hankins 3B 2 0 1 1

J Repko CF 4 0 0 0 D Ingram LF 3 0 1 2

T Brock DH 3 0 0 0 J Piniella PR 0 0 0 0

V Diaz 2B 4 0 1 0 S Bikowski RF 2 0 1 0

D Michaelis 1B 4 0 1 0 C Maldonado C 4 0 0 0

B King 3B 4 0 0 0 G Alvarez 3B 4 0 0 0

T Socarras C 3 1 1 0 E Battersby 1B 0 0 0 0

R Abercrombie RF 3 1 1 2 J Acevas 1B 3 0 0 0

R Ring P 0 0 0 0

J Shaffer SS 3 0 0 0

TOTALS 33 2 7 2 TOTALS 27 3 6 3

JACKSONVILLE 000 020 000 -- 2

BIRMINGHAM 100 010 10x -- 3

E--J Acevas. DP--JACKSONVILLE 1.

LOB--JACKSONVILLE 5, BIRMINGHAM 8. 2B--S Bikowski,

C Durham, R Hankins, D Michaelis. HR--R

Abercrombie 1 (4) (off E Pacheco). CS--D Sandoval,

J Feliciano, V Diaz. S--D Sandoval. SF--R Hankins.

IP H R ER BB SO HR

JACKSONVILLE

E Jackson 5 5 2 2 4 4 0

S Proctor (L,1-2) 2 1 1 1 2 1 0

W McCrotty 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

BIRMINGHAM

E Pacheco (W,3-0) 7 2-3 6 2 2 1 6 1

J Meyer 1-3 0 0 0 0 0 0

R Ring (S,6) 1 1 0 0 0 2 0

WP--E Jackson. BALK--S Proctor. SO--JAC: B King

3, J Feliciano, D Michaelis, R Abercrombie, V

Diaz, M Collins. BIR: G Alvarez 2, D Ingram, R

Hankins, S Bikowski. BB--JAC: T Brock. BIR: S

Bikowski 2, D Ingram, J Acevas, C Durham, R

Hankins. T--2:23. A--7,967.</pre>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Story

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (Ticker) -- Darron Ingram drove home two

runs and Enemencio Pacheco pitched 7 2/3 strong innings as the

Birmingham Barons squeaked past the Jacksonville Suns, 3-2.

Ingram opened the scoring with a run-scoring single in the

opening inning before tying the score at 2-2 with an RBI

groundout in the fifth. Pacheco (3-0) allowed two runs, six hits

and struck out six to win his third straight decision. Royce

Ring notched his sixth save of the year with a scoreless ninth

inning. Ryan Hankins lifted a sacrifice fly to break a 2-2 tie

in the seventh inning for Birmingham, which won its fifth

consecutive game. Reggie Abercrombie gave Jacksonville a 2-0

lead in the fifth inning with a two-run homer, his fourth of the

year. Scott Proctor (1-2) surrendered one run and a hit over

two innings to take the loss for the Suns, who lost their sixth

straight game to drop to 16-18 on the season.

Damn HSC, a day late again.... Am I going to have to take over? ;-)

On a technical note...... I think you have to put your on the next line after the end of the box info. Not sure, but try it tonight and see if that doesn't work.

On a baseball note.... Yofu on the hill Sunday for the Barons.

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh sooooo sorry rex please foregive me... you know how hard it is to juggle work, kenny rumors and keep the peace all at once...not to mention have some "me" time in there..........im such a busy gal these days........ :rolleyes: i promise to do better....really i do. ill give the pre thing a try...its not been cooperative for the past coupld of days...... :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1
Damn HSC, a day late again....  Am I going to have to take over?  ;-)

On a technical note...... I think you have to put your </pre> on the next line after the end of the box info.  Not sure, but try it tonight and see if that doesn't work.

On a baseball note.... Yofu on the hill Sunday for the Barons.

didnt work lol i emailed jas about it cause i was having problems with that and the quote thing too...........

oh sooooo sorry rex please foregive me... you know how hard it is to juggle work, kenny rumors and keep the peace all at once...not to mention have some "me" time in there..........im such a busy gal these days........ :rolleyes:  i promise to do better....really i do. ill give the pre thing a try...its not been cooperative for the past coupld of days...... :huh:

Eliminate the "me" time. I don't see a problem here. :nono

Guest hotsoxchick1
Eliminate the "me" time.
ahh my fair man.. if i did that then there wouldnt be any "you " time in there either....... :o lol ;)

I'll start a new thread on this one, if you don't mind.........

Well, baggs, I decided to go ahead and answer you here since after thinking about it for a minute and looking at some numbers to back up my thoughts, the answer came up NO.

The only guy that could be considered a prospect would be Guillermo Reyes and it is hard to figure him to be one based on his start. I am not only talking about numbers, but the fact that he opened the season not even playing the position at which he was thought to be a prospect.

He is only hitting .204 and has played just 16 of his 26 games at SS. He walks about once every 10 AB's which isn't bad, but is certainly not great for a speed guy and especially for one only hitting around .200.

He is hitting .187 in 76 at bats against righties, so hitting from the left side isn't his strength. Last year he was .330 RH and .265 LH.

All that said, he is in AA and is only 21 years old. He has pretty good speed (30 SB in 2002) and has been solid defensively from what I have seen. The current problem is that he is on the DL with a knee injury so it is unsure how long he will be out. Knee injuries do not mix well with SS/speed guys.

Other than that, I don't see any other position players on the Barons roster that are prospects unless you count Gabe Alvarez. The only problem with counting him is that he was a prospect in 1997 and 1998, not 2003.

Guest hotsoxchick1

so basically what your sayin is after trip a we are screwed unless its a pitcher were lookin for...did i read that right????? dang this is wonderful......all pitching and no positions........yeah haw.....thats another white sox winner......... :headbang lol :rolleyes:

so basically what your sayin is after trip a we are screwed unless its a pitcher were lookin for...did i read that right????? dang this is wonderful......all pitching and no positions........yeah haw.....thats another white sox winner......... :headbang lol :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so fast to discount some of the position players in Class A. There are just no position players in AA even masquerading (sp?) as prospects.

Guest hotsoxchick1
SO out of curiousity what do you think of the Sox drafting philosophy the last few years to go after pitchers almost exclusively in the first few rounds?

i think it sucks.... you can have all the pitching in the world..(and i do realize that pitching wins games so dont go there)......but if you dont have position players and let me bump it up a bit... position players who can actually provide you with good offense too.. then your pretty much screwed.............all the pitching in the world isnt gonna win you games without any defense and offense to back it up.......... we need position players...........

i think it sucks.... you can have all the pitching in the world..(and i do realize that pitching wins games  so dont go there)......but if you dont have position players and let me bump it up a bit... position players who can actually provide you with good offense too.. then your pretty much screwed.............all the pitching in the world isnt gonna win you games without any defense and offense to back it up.......... we need position players...........

I disagree. I think there are plenty of hitters out there that can be obtained.

The Sox have had Borchard, Crede, Rowand among other position players. The Sox AA squad is just full of veteran guys right now. I think it is much more important to stockpile arms, especially since many end up with arm injuries. Hitters come much cheaper than pitchers. Pitchers can also be used to obtain hitters.

If there is a strong position player out there, then the Sox will draft him. But the past few years, the draft has been pretty weak as far as position players unless you are at the top of the draft.

There are still several in Class A that look good. Webster is a legit prospect. Several other guys such as Spidale, Gonzalez, Reed, Yan, Schnurstein, and Thomas Brice are worth keeping an eye on.