BBC Katrina coverage 'full of hatred of America'

KipWellsFan

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media/story...1572747,00.html

Tony Blair has denounced the BBC's coverage of Hurricane Katrina as 'full of hatred of America' and 'gloating' at the country's plight, it was reported yesterday.

Blair allegedly made the remarks privately to Rupert Murdoch, chairman and chief executive of News Corporation, which owns the rival Sky News.

Murdoch, a long-standing critic of the BBC, was addressing the Clinton Global Initiative conference in New York. Chuckling, he said: 'I probably shouldn't be telling you this' before recounting a recent conversation with Blair. He said the Prime Minister was in New Delhi when he criticised BBC coverage of the catastrophe in New Orleans: 'He said it was just full of hatred of America and gloating at our troubles.'

Bill Clinton, the former US President who was hosting the conference, also attacked the tone of the BBC coverage at a seminar on the media. He said it had been 'stacked up' to criticise the federal government's slow response.

Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony Corporation and a former head of CBS News, said he had been 'nervous about the slight level of gloating' by the corporation.

Charles Wheeler, the veteran former US correspondent for the BBC, said: 'I don't believe Murdoch actually said that. It doesn't sound like Blair to me. The coverage I saw was extremely good and got better and better. Matt Frei was very good. He got quite angry, which is what might have annoyed people.

hmmmm

more at link

Hate is a very strong word, I bet if you watched the BBC you'd have a hard time finding hatred directed towards the States.

I agree. And as an added bonus, they don't spend 50% of their time covering the latest young white American woman gone missing.

Seriously, when I want a quick video overview of what's going on in the rest of the world, I check out the BBC and the CBC.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
I agree.  And as an added bonus, they don't spend 50% of their time covering the latest young white American woman gone missing.

Seriously, when I want a quick video overview of what's going on in the rest of the world, I check out the BBC and the CBC.

I miss having CBC, best news coverage I've ever watched.

Murdoch is such a shrewd business man. We watch the BBC & have never found that to be the case. But of course he wants Sky News to be #1 there just like Fox News is in America.

No doubt Sky News has a fair & balanced angle to it. A great tool in marketing that angle is to use anything you can to paint your rival as being unjusty unfair & biased.

Aside: BBCAmerica is a pretty cool channel. Big fan of Benny Hill :)