FINALLY...A Stand-Up Guy

Rich McKinney

How about Contreras!

This guy has been ripped on every Sox board there is and was nearly run to the bullpen and out of town...

This isn't a guy fading down the stretch and coming up empty against the better teams (Buehrle and Garcia).

The pressure was on Contreras and he responded!

Good for him. I say he's our ace now!

QUOTE(Rich McKinney @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
How about Contreras!

This guy has been ripped on every Sox board there is and was nearly run to the bullpen and out of town...

This isn't a guy fading down the stretch and coming up empty against the better teams (Buehrle and Garcia).

The pressure was on Contreras and he responded!

Good for him. I say he's our ace now!

He has been our best starting pitcher in the 2nd half. Hell, he's been close to best in baseball in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
W L  ERA  G  S CG SHO IP   H  R ER HR HBP BB SO  
9 2 3.23 13 13  0  0 86.1 78 36 31  6  2  26 64

Those are his numbers Post All-star Break. The speak for themselves.

And the AJ Burnett whom we all wanted to trade for at the expense of Contreras:

In his last five starts 0-5 with a 7.40 ERA

Contreras, I'm sorry I have doubted you! :crying

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
And the AJ Burnett whom we all wanted to trade for at the expense of Contreras:

In his last five starts 0-5 with a 7.40 ERA

Contreras, I'm sorry I have doubted you! :crying

Most people actually wanted to trade for Burnett to replace Duque. At one point, there was a rumor that it would only take Marte and a pretty good prospect to land Burnett.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Most people actually wanted to trade for Burnett to replace Duque.  At one point, there was a rumor that it would only take Marte and a pretty good prospect to land Burnett.

That prospect being Brandon McCarthy. We know how that's turned out.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Does anyone miss esteban loaiza?

We're the definite losers in that trade, right peter gammons?

JOSE, way to step it up big guy

Meh, he'd probably be better than El Duque, but he ain't too good away from RFK.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
I'd still take Burnett over McCarthy.  I think the experience he has would be more helpful at this point.

Burnett walks to Detroit on a 4 year $48M deal at the end of the off-season. Still do that deal?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
Burnett walks to Detroit on a 4 year $48M deal at the end of the off-season. Still do that deal?

Here's the thing, there were some of us who wanted Burnett here to be the 4th starter for the playoffs, right now he doesn't even crack the playoff rotation, in other words that would have been a bad deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)

I wouldn't be making a deal for the future. It would have been for this year. It's easy to say you wouldn't do the deal now that McCarthy has actually done well in his recent starts and Burnett has faded. KW held off and that might turn out to be a good move, but we'll never know what Burnett would do had he been traded here. I'll always take a proven talent over a mystery.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Mark Buerhle said after that game that he doesnt care what anyone says, the count should start game one in the playoffs.

That comment pretty much describes my opinion of if Mark should start game one of the playoffs...he obviously doesn't want the ball, so by all means give it to the count.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
That comment pretty much describes my opinion of if Mark should start game one of the playoffs...he obviously doesn't want the ball, so by all means give it to the count.

I took the quote a different way. I am sure he wants the ball in game one, but for the ace of the staff to put his ego aside to put the best pitcher(hotest in the 2nd half) on the mound in game one is pretty amazing.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
I took the quote a different way.  I am sure he wants the ball in game one, but for the ace of the staff to put his ego aside to put the best pitcher(hotest in the 2nd half) on the mound in game one is pretty amazing.

Both interesting views, that quote can definitely be taken either way. I know for me though I'm giving Jose the ball game 1 if we get in.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I took the quote a different way.  I am sure he wants the ball in game one, but for the ace of the staff to put his ego aside to put the best pitcher(hotest in the 2nd half) on the mound in game one is pretty amazing.

Well I guess you could be right...call me negative nancy :P

Buerhle has had me befuddled by most of his comments in the past few weeks so I just take everything he says the wrong way. Either way, I pretty much echo his sentiments.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I wouldn't be making a deal for the future.  It would have been for this year.  It's easy to say you wouldn't do the deal now that McCarthy has actually done well in his recent starts and Burnett has faded.  KW held off and that might turn out to be a good move, but we'll never know what Burnett would do had he been traded here.  I'll always take a proven talent over a mystery.

First time I've seen that for a topic regarding the trade deadline :lol:, but anyways the way Burnett is pitching now, no he wouldn't be in our playoff rotation, and the Cell is definitely more of a hitters park than Pro Player Stadium. And with Contreras pitching the way he is, and JG and FG, I doubt he would of made it anyways.

Quite simply, the need wasn't as great as others that we have.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
First time I've seen that for a topic regarding the trade deadline  :lol:, but anyways the way Burnett is pitching now, no he wouldn't be in our playoff rotation, and the Cell is definitely more of a hitters park than Pro Player Stadium. And with Contreras pitching the way he is, and JG and FG, I doubt he would of made it anyways.

Quite simply, the need wasn't as great as others that we have.

Eh, I don't know about that. I tend to think that he'd have a great run while he faced most AL teams for the first time. Something like Clement had for a while in Boston. A new pitcher with great stuff facing teams that have hardly ever seen him could have been very tough to beat.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Eh, I don't know about that.  I tend to think that he'd have a great run while he faced most AL teams for the first time.  Something like Clement had for a while in Boston.  A new pitcher with great stuff facing teams that have hardly ever seen him could have been very tough to beat.

Burnett right now is doing exactly what he's done his whole career. Right around the trading deadline he was unbeatable...now he's getting beaten around.

Moving leagues does not change who a pitcher is. AJ Burnett is a clone of Kerry Wood. He has dominating stuff at times, but at other times he just gets knocked around. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. And every time he goes up, he comes just as far back down.

There's no reason to assume that somehow switching leagues or teams would make him a totally different pitcher in 2 months.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Does anyone miss esteban loaiza?

We're the definite losers in that trade, right peter gammons?

JOSE, way to step it up big guy

I always liked Esteban Loaiza and was sorry to seem him traded. If we had him in the #5 spot right now rather than El Duque things might be better off for us. However, El Dugue gave it his all. I wonder if he isn't hurt or something. I also would rather point the funger at Ozzie for not going with McCarthy a couple starts ago.