McCartney Concert Review

FlaSoxxJim

Just got back from this weekend's Sir Paul show across the state in Tampa. I did not see the last world tour that everybody still raves about, but I did see the two tours in the 90s that were quite excellent.

This show blew both of those away hands-down. Get out and see this tour if you can.

My wife and i took our 7 and 6 year old kids with us, who mysteriously and unexpectedly have turned out to be big Beatles fans. :D I was going to be alright with a fairly standard set list for this show because my kids know the big Beatles/Wings/Paul songs and I wanted it to be something special for them even if I would have wanted some more obscure stuff.

Turns out, everybody went home happy. I can't say enough about how strong Paul's voice was - whether he was 33, let along 63. He seemed in great spirits and really seemed like he was energized. Probably helped that it was only the second night of the tour, and we'll see how he's doing in a month. The band was also stellar. Keyboardest and musical director "Wix" was the only holdover from the 90s touring bands, but the young guys in this new lineup blow the old lineups away in my opinion.

He played for 2 hours and 15 minutes, including seven songs worth of encores. Getting back to the car after the concert I quickly scribbled down the set while it was fresh in my mind. The next morning I looked back over it and was amazed to find out he played an amazing 37(!) songs. For the one or two of you who may care to see the set list (and don't mind spoilers if you're going to see him) here it is in approximate order (based on song groupings played as Paul moved from bass to acoutic guitar to piano to electric guitar, but possible some inverted order withi those mini-sets):

Paul on Bass (Hoffner violin, natch):

Magical Mystery Tour (was hoping for a Venus and Mars/Rock Show to start off, but it's cool)

Flaming Pie

Jet

I'll Get You (whoaa - an obscure one from the very first Beatles UK LP!)

Drive My Car (My 6 year old's favorite Beatles Song, which he sang right along with)

Paul on solo acoustic guitar:

In Spite of All Danger (the first song John, Paul and George ever recorded together, at a corner studio in Liverpool).

I Will (from the White album. Paul flubbed the words in the middle 8 and stopped to joke about it "Hey, I wrote it a LONG TIME AGO. . . But at least you know it's not a tape!" Then he picked up at the bridge again and finished it off)

'Til There Was You (with guitar solo by other guitarist)

Paul at grand piano:

(Actually a scary moment here, when Paul stepped back and fell into a hole in the middle of the stage where the piano was supposed to have already risen up out of its hidden recess but hadn't yet. He barely missed a beat, and joked about it for much of the night - "I think I'll have them put a little picket fence around that hole tomorrow," but I bet he was a little bruisd up the next morning)

Fine Line (single from the new album)

Maybe I'm Amazed

For No One

Fixing A Hole

With band on acoustic guitar:

I'll Follow the Sun

Eleanor Rigby

On solo acoustic guitar:

Jenny Wren (great song from new album - sound like "Junk" or one of his great old acoustic fingerpicked songs)

Blackbird (with an intro talking about how the song evolved from George and him playing a Bach song incorrectly on the guitar years earlier)

Paul on electric guitar (orange sunburst Les Paul):

Let Me Roll It (one for the Wings fans - the ended with a 30 second or so vanp of the Hendrix "Foxy lady" riff, which I'd like to think was an insider's homage to Jimi based on yesterday being the 35th anniversary of his death).

Band on teh Run (More Wings Greatness)

Back at the piano:

Any Situation (new album)

Long and Winding Road

English Tea (new album)

Back on bass (Unsure of the exact song order here):

Got to Get You Into My Life

Too Many People (wow!)

I've Got a Feeling (w/segue into...)

She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

Get Back

Back in the USSR

Penny Lane

Good Day Sunshine (with intro talking about him being honored the song was used to wake up the shuttle crew on the last day of the recently completed return to flight mission, including audio of the conversation between Houston and the shuttle crew :headbang :headbang )

Hey Jude (with 25,000 backing singers handling the Na Na Nas).

-- End of Regular Set--

2 Encores included: (Paul came out for teh encores with a 'No More Landmines' shirt, hilighting the important work wife Heather is doing on that front):

Yesterday

Please Please Me :headbang

Live and Let Die (with loud fireworks and pyrotechniques that my exhausted kids managed to sleep through)

Helter Skelter :headbang :notworthy

Let It Be

Sgt. Pepper Reprise (w/Paul on Les Paul), segue into

The End (with 2+ minutes of Paul and the two guitarists trading licks in the trio solo section, and Paul holding his own fairly well).

And so ended a great, great night. I'm kind of depressed it's over.

To paraphrase Paul paraphrasing Twain, "The reports of Pauls' death have been greatly exaggerated." :snr :snr :headbang

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show as much as I did a couple of years ago. One of the things that amazed me is how vibrant he still is at 63. The rest of us can only hope we have half of that energy, and that is without mentioning the ability to preform.

He did change around something since I went, and one of the songs that wasn't played was "Here, There and Everywhere" which was the song my wife and I danced to for our first dance. From now on I'll just assume that he played it just for us :)

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
OK, FlaSoxxJim, et. al.  The Dallas show is this Sunday.  I'm stoked.  I can't wait!!  I've read this thread like 15 times now... wondering what the show will be like here.

:)

I can't wait to hear the review. I wish I was going to see him again.

Now that he actually has done the space station wake up song live, I bet he'll mention that. I've seen a few reviews during of other shows on the tour and they've all been quite glowing. he's mixed some songs uup here and there to keep things interesting, but the core setlist has remained pretty intact.

Have fun!

Oh yeah you think you all are funny now, but when Paul comes across the universe, looking for you all here there and everywhere, and then comes through the bathroom window with Maxwell's silver hammer to take out the fool on the hill, you'll be wishing you could get back to where you once belonged.

Dig it?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Oh yeah you think you all are funny now, but when Paul comes across the universe, looking for you all here there and everywhere, and then comes through the bathroom window with Maxwell's silver hammer to take out the fool on the hill, you'll be wishing you could get back to where you once belonged. 

Dig it?

Two of those titles don't belong, but which two??

Tick... tock...

P.S. A certain package is going off in today's mail. . .

(Actually a scary moment here, when Paul stepped back and fell into a hole in the middle of the stage where the piano was supposed to have already risen up out of its hidden recess but hadn't yet. He barely missed a beat, and joked about it for much of the night )

"I'm missing a hole where the piano has been

And into it I'm stumbling......

Where did Paul goooooooooo.........."

:D