It's Bobby Time

winninguglyin83

I think that's good news overall...especially that Marte actually seems like he may finally have found out whatever it was he was missing there for a few weeks.

Still...how sad is that for Hermanson? For about 3/4 of the season that guy was lights out...started the year with a 22 inning scoreless streak, had people here begging Ozzie to put him into the Closer's role, and now because of his damn lower back he's just not able to do the job any more.

Man, I feel horrid for Hermy. He's one of the reasons we even have a prayer this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
You can't argue with the results from Minnesota.

Nope, I can't. But I can argue with the results of.. oh.. well.. do you need me to post the times he's choked?

I'm not the biggest Marte fan :banghead

Oh boy. It looks like this is one of those situations we are just going to have to sit back and trust Ozzie. I'm sure after looking at the situation long and hard they've come to this decision. But, I ask you this: if Hermanson's back is too injuried to close ballgames, how is it he can come in and pitch in the seventh and eigth?

Is he just going to be a glorified mop-up guy at this point? An odd turn of events and one I really didn't see coming.

Next Jay Mariotti article: If Schilling's "red sock" was good enough for the Red Sox, why can't Hermanson cowboy up and deal with some back pain? That's the thing champions are made of...the staff should have seen this coming...blah blah etc.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Next Jay Mariotti article: If Schilling's "red sock" was good enough for the Red Sox, why can't Hermanson cowboy up and deal with some back pain?  That's the thing champions are made of...the staff should have seen this coming...blah blah etc.

If anyone actually does say that...there's a real beautiful response to it...the staff did actually see this coming, which is why "You can't Focking See that" has been in the big leagues for a couple months blowing people away.

And I'll bet if there was a risky nearly-surgical procedure that Hermy could undergo to make his back not bother him when he throws pitches, if we were in the playoffs, I bet you he'd do it in a heartbeat.

This might be a way for Oz to get Hermanson's confidence and his own confidence in him back. H's innings have been so inconsitant, what with the back injury, that he needs a couple outings in a row to demonstrate what you will get when you put him in.

It's great that Bobby is our new closer and hopefully will be for years to come, but I still don't know about Marte. If he would just throw some more strikes, I'd be a little more confident, but with the walks that Marte gives up in tight situations I don't know if I want him pitching in the 9th any more than he has too.

As for Hermy, it's really sad to see him leave the closer position :crying I really wish him the best as a set-up man and I think he'll be alright in the new position.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
No not in the playoffs.  Maybe to save his back for the games in October however Hermanson should be this teams closer.

Not the way Bobby's been pitching. I know Hermy's been great this season, but with the bad back, they have to go with the guy who gives them a better chance to win, which would be Bobby.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
No not in the playoffs.  Maybe to save his back for the games in October however Hermanson should be this teams closer.

In the playoffs most teams have a closer that make other team say '' oh s***'' Dustin hermanson? Not so much. I agree that he will be the closer but i dont really agree with it... he has not looked good for a long while now.

QUOTE(HeGone! @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Not the way Bobby's been pitching. I know Hermy's been great this season, but with the bad back, they have to go with the guy who gives them a better chance to win, which would be Bobby.

Agreed. It becomes especially hazardous come playoff time if you don't know whether or not your closer would be able to go. Hermy's back could act up at any time. It could be good at game time and then bad come the 9th inning. That s*** could kill us...

QUOTE(HeGone! @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)

like i said im fine with it for the rest of the regular season however once the playoffs hit i want Hermy on the mound in the ninth.