Ozzie Guillen

aboz56

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
I think he may go for an incentive laden deal much like nomar considering he will only be 31 at the start of next season. That will give him plenty of time to still get a 3-4 year deal down the road.

Yeah exactly what I thought. Speaking of Nomar, he's probably headed to the Dodgers or somewhere else, but if he is going to play 3B, could possibly be an option, but I doubt people would be for it.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
What makes blaylock's .765 ops so appealing to you? I would make that trade for the 2003 and 2004 blaylock, but for the 2005 version? They can keep him. Rather sign mueller ( one year contract with an option) and go from there. He will be cheaper in the terms of salary and what it takes to get him talent wise ( draft picks).

Better than Crede's .727 OPS :P

I agree with you. Hank doesn't look like much of an upgrade over Crede with the way Blalock has looked this year. Teixiera is another story though. I can dream.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
FWIW, I had no clue how crappy Blalock was doing during this 2nd half of the season.  Could be a good buy low type of risk.

I'd agree, but I can't go past those HOME / AWAY splits. I wouldn't give up what you've suggested (El Duque and Marte would be what I'd offer for starters), but I'd be open to acquiring him still, if the price was right.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
I'd say Adrian Beltre could be had, although I know most here probably wouldn't be in favor of that. Shea Hillenbrand's another. If you just look at the position, only about 8 or 9 players who play 3B everyday, have an OPS over .800. It's hard to find a good hitter there.

Shea's not a 3b anymore. I'd be all for an Iguchi for Beltre trade, as 2nd baseman are easier to find. The Mariners might be interested in boosting their Japanese market some more. It will be interesting to see if Crede can continue hitting well with his new hand adjustment. Sometimes I think that if we can boost our offense at DH, etc., that we should bring him back for one season. I don't really mind a 7-8-9 of AJP, Uribe, and Crede. We have got to find a legit number 3 hitter.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Yeah exactly what I thought. Speaking of Nomar, he's probably headed to the Dodgers or somewhere else, but if he is going to play 3B, could possibly be an option, but I doubt people would be for it.

I'd be all for it. It won't happen though. From what I've heard, he's not exactly a White Sox fan.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Shea's not a 3b anymore.  I'd be all for an Iguchi for Beltre trade, as 2nd baseman are easier to find.  The Mariners might be interested in boosting their Japanese market some more.  It will be interesting to see if Crede can continue hitting well with his new hand adjustment.  Sometimes I think that if we can boost our offense at DH, etc., that we should bring him back for one season.  I don't really mind a 7-8-9 of AJP, Uribe, and Crede.  We have got to find a legit number 3 hitter.

We need two hitters in the 3/4/5 group if we are serious about next season... and that is with re-signing konerko. I see us signing mueller and trading for another hitter, either a three hole hitter or a clean-up man.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
We need two hitters in the 3/4/5 group if we are serious about next season... and that is with re-signing konerko. I see us signing mueller and trading for another hitter, either a three hole hitter or a clean-up man.

And I think Chad Tracy is going to end up being that guy, and I hope so, because I'd take over Lyle Overbay who I know most people want as the replacement 1B/DH.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
And I think Chad Tracy is going to end up being that guy, and I hope so, because I'd take over Lyle Overbay who I know most people want as the replacement 1B/DH.

It's too late for me to look up stats, but from what I observe, Overbay is a terrible 2nd half player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Tracy will cost us Contreras.

I don't know about that. I'd say Arizona would prefer good young pitching, than to established pitching right now, considering they have Vazquez, Webb, Ortiz, Halsey and Vargas in there. For instance, a Marte, Bajenaru, Haigwood package may look appealing to them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
I don't know about that. I'd say Arizona would prefer good young pitching, than to established pitching right now, considering they have Vazquez, Webb, Ortiz, Halsey and Vargas in there. For instance, a Marte, Bajenaru, Haigwood package may look appealing to them.

Can't Vazquez make himself a FA this offseason? Also, I'm pretty sure that the package you suggest wouldn't be enough to get such a promising hitter like Tracy. I guarantee the DBacks could get a better deal than that. Remember, the DBacks have been close a couple of times to acquiring Contreras. Also, the DBacks don't have a lot of good outfield prospects in their system. They might be very interested in the likes of Sweeney or Young.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Can't Vazquez make himself a FA this offseason?  Also, I'm pretty sure that the package you suggest wouldn't be enough to get such a promising hitter like Tracy.  I guarantee the DBacks could get a better deal than that.  Remember, the DBacks have been close a couple of times to acquiring Contreras.  Also, the DBacks don't have a lot of good outfield prospects in their system.  They might be very interested in the likes of Sweeney or Young.

Wrong on the OF prospects. They've got Carlos Quentin, Jon Zeringue and Josh Kroeger who are in their top 5 prospects.

Vazquez can only make himself a FA by demanding a trade and by all reports he hasn't done anything to think he'll do that.

Haigwood's an Arizona native, so he's probably be appealing to their fan base. Brian Anderson would too, but they're stocked with OF's as it is at the moment. Depends on what teams will give up for Tracy, but that package would be a start. Sub in Liotta for Bajenaru, and it's a little more appealing. They haven't got 1 pitching prospect in their top 6.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
Wrong on the OF prospects. They've got Carlos Quentin, Jon Zeringue and Josh Kroeger who are in their top 5 prospects.

I was just going off the fact they have S. Drew and Connor Jackson in the infield in the years to come, as well as the possibility of Justin Upton in the outfield. Since we lack any big time infield prospects to trade, our best minor league chips are either Sweeney/Young or Gio. I'm definitely more interested in Tracy than Overbay.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Say no to Vazquez, Would get murdered in USCF. How about Troy Glaus? Would like a left handed hitting Firstbaseman. Overbay would help some. What's the tracey love fest? Don't sweat it guys. Reinsdork ain't gonna spend

1 - We never floated the idea of trading for Vazquez.

2 - Troy Glaus is a 3rd baseman. He's going nowhere, since he's really the only D-Back who can field at 3B effectively and contribute really good offensive numbers.

3 - Tracy is younger than Overbay, can play more positions, and doesn't have 2nd half slumps.

4 - What's with the increases in payroll over the past few seasons then?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Yeah, but there's not a great need for Vazquez right now with a rotation of Buerhle/Garcia/Garland/Contreras/B-Mac in 2006.

Oh yeah, I agree. Anyone think the Sox might try and see if Cotts can become a starter again? I've heard rumors of it, and it might be worth a try. If he fails, then put him back in relief again. Whatever we do, we need to get a few cheaper pitchers for the next few years. Our big 3 will cost a ton.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Oh yeah, I agree.  Anyone think the Sox might try and see if Cotts can become a starter again?  I've heard rumors of it, and it might be worth a try.  If he fails, then put him back in relief again. Whatever we do, we need to get a few cheaper pitchers for the next few years.  Our big 3 will cost a ton.

I'd say it's a possibility, I know people like YASNY think that could happen, but as for me personally, if the shoe fits, stick with it. He should be our top LH guy out of the pen next season and main setip guy with Politte. And with the likes of Haigwood, Gonzalez etc. coming up in the minors, Cotts might not ever get the chance with us, but we'll see.

I have never seen such a turn around of the attitude towards a manager, but I have to partially agree, in teh sense I'm not losing my mind. I do wonder why he's doing things lately, though. Marte in a 1 run situation? That was the only thing I was nervous about, but I think it was enough. Well, that and Vizcaino, but HE didn't f*** everything up.

I just really hope Ozzie can figure his s*** out a bit better.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I have never seen such a turn around of the attitude towards a manager, but I have to partially agree, in teh sense I'm not losing my mind. I do wonder why he's doing things lately, though. Marte in a 1 run situation? That was the only thing I was nervous about, but I think it was enough. Well, that and Vizcaino, but HE didn't f*** everything up.

I'm obviously not speaking for myself, but I think a lot of people were willing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt for some of his questionable decisions when this team was playing good baseball and on top of the baseball world. 12.5 games later in the standings, I think a lot of people are realizing that this guy is basically clueless when it comes to in-game situations. When a team is struggling, they need EVERYONE to focus just a little better. Ozzie failed this team last night, and far too often in the last month or so.

I've seen this before, and it never makes sense to me. Cotts comes in, looks great, and then gets pulled after a batter or two.

When he pulled Cotts last night (I was there) and trotted out... Marte, we were all like "WTF"? It wasn't a rightie that was coming out, and even if it were, I really agree with a lot of people here: since when can relief pitchers not get out people who bat from either side?

Yes, this matchup thing is ridiculous now. I don't blame Jenks--so a guy gets a hit once in a while off him. A single should not have been the end of us last night.

And Freddy was so-so. It wasn't the worst I've seen him, but he certainly didn't dominate them.

Oh well. These next two weeks cannot end fast enough.