To all who think the Sox don't make the playoffs

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
How old are you? Your acting like a 10 year old! Do you think you intimidate me? Do you think I am scared of you or something? Are you suppose to be cool because I don't want to make a bet? GMAFB dude. Take a break from SoxTalk why don't ya.

I'm saying that you are willing to cry about the sky falling without actually having the fortitude to quantify it. It's really not that surprising, dude. Don't take it personally.

And folks, the fundamental problem has got nothing to do with the talent on the field or the manager. We have a good team. We do not have a great team. This has been fairly evident throughout most of the year, even when we were building a sizeable lead. They were playing like crap and somehow winning.

You cannot expect to win consistently throughout a season with a second tier payroll full of mainly second-tier players. Sooner or later, hopefully, Sox management will figure that out and spend the appropriate amount of money to win. You need a .300 hitter. You need big free agent signings. Not middle-high free agents. I'm not saying that money guarantees success, but 8 of the last 10 world series winners had high payrolls relative to the rest of the league, so it follows that to win a world series, you have to have a high payroll in today's baseball environment.

But really, division title....WHO f***ING CARES???? What the f*** does "division winner" even mean. Equality with the 1998 Rangers? The 84 Padres? WOOO - f***ing - HOOO. No thanks. I'm not really that interested beyond the pat on the back night of. I don't care whether this team wins the division or the wild card. I wouldn't even be that shaken if we don't even make the playoffs. They are a good team. They are not a great team. They have had great team chemistry and stretched this concept about as far as it would go. They have done well this year. They must make some changes to become a serious contender.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
I'm saying that you are willing to cry about the sky falling without actually having the fortitude to quantify it. It's really not that surprising, dude. Don't take it personally.

I have no clue what you just said but I will answer with this: I have not given up hope on the Sox. If you think that I am not rooting for them or something anymore, you are wrong. I want them to win and I want them to win real bad. I stated my opinion and that is the opinion that this team does not deserve to make the playoffs no matter what anyone says and that is the truth. I'm sorry, but it is.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
I have no clue what you just said but I will answer with this: I have not given up hope on the Sox. If you think that I am not rooting for them or something anymore, you are wrong. I want them to win and I want them to win real bad. I stated my opinion and that is the opinion that this team does not deserve to make the playoffs no matter what anyone says and that is the truth. I'm sorry, but it is.

But why be needlessly negative? That's what I'm trying to get to the heart of.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
But why be needlessly negative? That's what I'm trying to get to the heart of.

Needlessly negative? It is the truth. Losing 12.5 games of a divisonal lead and play lik a pee-wee softball team is not worthy of a divisional title or wild card. Unless this team shaes up or gets hot, they dont deserve the playoffs. They got a big lead and lost their heart, motivation, and drive.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Needlessly negative? It is the truth. Losing 12.5 games of a divisonal lead and play lik a pee-wee softball team is not worthy of a divisional title or wild card. Unless this team shaes up or gets hot, they dont deserve the playoffs. They got a big lead and lost their heart, motivation, and drive.

I'd like to know exactly how many other teams 15 games out in the history of the majors have gone 33-11 over 44 games, because that seems just absolutely superhuman.

It's not like the Tribe were just treading water and the Sox lost 7 of every 10...

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
I'd like to know exactly how many other teams 15 games out in the history of the majors have gone 33-11 over 44 games, because that seems just absolutely superhuman.

It's not like the Tribe were just treading water and the Sox lost 7 of every 10...

I would also like to know how many teams held a 15+ plus game lead and had it dip under three at any point during the season... oh ya, that's right... the chicago f***ing white sox are the only one to do so.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
I would also like to know how many teams held a 15+ plus game lead and had it dip under three at any point during the season... oh ya, that's right... the chicago f***ing white sox are the only one to do so.

1976 Phillies.

I would attribute about 80% of the responsibility for that lead dipping to the miraculous run by the Indians and about 20% of the responsibiliy to the White Sox "choking".

Let's review, shall we?

We knew August was gonna be brutal. We knew that we'd be lucky to escape that month around .500. So we went 12-16. What is that, 2-3 games worse than we expected? Maybe 4 games worse than we realistically could've gone during that stretch if we would've played our very best baseball and gone 16-12?

And now we have an 11-8 record in September and had a 7 game winning streak. Really, you expected this team to go what, 18-1? 17-2? I didn't. I expected them to be right around where they are at record-wise for the month.

So in my opinion you can attribute maybe 5-6 games at the very most to the White Sox "choking" and the other 9-10 games that have been shaved off the lead to an unprecedented surge.

We've also lost about 5 games in the Wild Card lead in the last 10 games to the Yankees. Again, it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else says right now. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, the 2005 White Sox team will be as synonymous with the word choking as the 1919 White Sox were with gambling.

I've said it before. I'll say it again: knock on wood, winning this division, the way the Sox have played this year, SHOULD be easy. Are they playing now the way they've played earlier this year? Hell, no, but it IS the SAME TEAM. It can be turned around. Don't forget the 2000 Yankees, guys. Sure, we're no Yankees, but based on how good we've been overall this year, we sure as hell could be.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I've said it before. I'll say it again: knock on wood, winning this division, the way the Sox have played this year, SHOULD be easy. Are they playing now the way they've played earlier this year? Hell, no, but it IS the SAME TEAM. It can be turned around. Don't forget the 2000 Yankees, guys. Sure, we're no Yankees, but based on how good we've been overall this year, we sure as hell could be.

We were so good early in the year because of two main things that we don't have now: a leadoff man who can steal bases and a healthy Dustin Hermanson.

Yeah, Scotty's injury I think was what sparked this downside. Scotty hasn't been stealing or bunting, and whether anyone realizes it or not, that plays a HUGE role on this team. Ironically he's been swinging the bat better, but is it enough, and does it compare? Not quite, IMO.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Yeah, Scotty's injury I think was what sparked this downside. Scotty hasn't been stealing or bunting, and whether anyone realizes it or not, that plays a HUGE role on this team. Ironically he's been swinging the bat better, but is it enough, and does it compare? Not quite, IMO.

Without the ability to steal, Pods is a below average MLB player.