Is this too good to be true?

YASNY

I'd seen something on this groups reseearch efforts about a year ago, and it's great to see they are getting somewhere.

I hope the can start to get the units into commercial vehicles soon and demonstrate the cost savings to other fleets so they get on board. Yeah, electrolysis as a means of splitting water has been around forever and it sure seems a no-brainer to get a unit into a combustion engine to increase burn efficiency.

The interesting thing about the article is William's thoughts on cashing in on Kyoto credits, and it was maybe the singlke biggest reason we should have ambraced Kyoto warts and all.

Furthermore, he would hope to get his hands on carbon credits promised by the Kyoto Protocol. The trade in carbon credits is predicted to be a multi-billion-dollar business as countries attempt to meet their 2012 obligations of cutting greenhouse gases to below 1990 levels. Those who fail to make the cuts will be fined or will have to buy credits from companies that have cut well below the agreed levels.

There is a lot of 'low hanging fruit' that our technology and capacity for innovation could have gone after, and now we're leaving it to others to do. The next climate change treaties to come down the pike will be much more stringent aand the low hanging fruit will be long gone, and we'll actually have to do something to curb our industrial emissions.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
The key to making this feasable of course will again be the battery - it takes some sort of charge in order to make the whole system work.  In other words, you need to be able to carry on board the automobile the power to drive the hydrogen production system.

I don't think that would be much of a problem with the battery storage capacity that is available today in hybrids.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
I don't think that would be much of a problem with the battery storage capacity that is available today in hybrids.

Hybrid batteries only are really effective because they are being constantly recharged as you're breaking and as you're idling the engine.

This is a totally different beast we're talking about here. You're talking instead about taking the battery and having it be the sole power source for the vehicle. The battery itself is driving the reaction of water into hydrogen. It seems to be a very efficient process, but the battery itself is still what is providing the energy to the whole system.

It seems to me like a different mode of electric car...hopefully a more efficient one.