Why is nobody pitching inside??

Bias

I don't think Boone would've turned on Jenk's heat had he busted him inside instead of trying to stay away. It is so damn frustrating to watch them pitch like they are afraid.

How many times does Marte have to suck ass before Ozzie stops using him in critical situations??

At least they played more like the first 1/2 team than the bums they played like recently. I thought they showed some sack coming back to tie it and take the lead.

Even though they lost, I feel better about their chances than I have recently. They finally looked like they actually cared. Hopefully, they'll take the next 2 and then get hot to end the season........... :gosox3:

Our pitchers, especially relievers, aren't very good at pitching inside. In case you haven't noticed, whenever our catchers set up inside late in the game, they either hit the batter or come close to hitting them. Jenks put that pitch in the one place Boone could hurt him. A fastball up in the zone would have been a K or a weak pop up. A good curve, and Boone's likely a K also.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't think Boone would've turned on Jenk's heat had he busted him inside instead of trying to stay away.  It is so damn frustrating to watch them pitch like they are afraid. 

How many times does Marte have to suck ass before Ozzie stops using him in critical situations??

At least they played more like the first 1/2 team than the bums they played like recently.  I thought they showed some sack coming back to tie it and take the lead.

Even though they lost, I feel better about their chances than I have recently.  They finally looked like they actually cared.  Hopefully, they'll take the next 2 and then get hot to end the season........... :gosox3:

Jenks never got a fastball up to Boone. Boone has been a dead pull hitter all season and I'll bet the book on him is to stay away, away away. The difference between Jenks striking out Boone and giving up that hit was six inches. Had that ball been elevated in the strike zone he would've grabbed some bench.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Our pitchers, especially relievers, aren't very good at pitching inside.  In case you haven't noticed, whenever our catchers set up inside late in the game, they either hit the batter or come close to hitting them.  Jenks put that pitch in the one place Boone could hurt him.  A fastball up in the zone would have been a K or a weak pop up.  A good curve, and Boone's likely a K also.

So the entire staff can't pitch inside??? What about Freddy? He was throwing meat all night and maybe came inside one time. That was their m.o. the last few years, earlier this year they were coming inside a ton.

I just don't see them coming inside too often and whether or not it's reality it appears they are afraid of throwing strikes...at least to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Jenks never got a fastball up to Boone. Boone has been a dead pull hitter all season and I'll bet the book on him is to stay away, away away. The difference between Jenks striking out Boone and giving up that hit was six inches. Had that ball been elevated in the strike zone he would've grabbed some bench.

They never have jenks elevate the ball.

On two strikes how hard is it to catch up to above belt heat.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
So the entire staff can't pitch inside???  What about Freddy? He was throwing meat all night and maybe came inside one time.  That was their m.o. the last few years, earlier this year they were coming inside a ton.

I just don't see them coming inside too often and whether or not it's reality it appears they are afraid of throwing strikes...at least to me.

Garcia has never thrown inside this year. For someone that can throw 94 mph, his fastball rarely causes a swing and a miss. He's basically become a fastball/slider pitcher, and hangs a lot of sliders to righty batters now. His arm is nowhere near as electric as it was a few years ago.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

I really like Jenks and his attitude, but I've noticed that on 2 strike pitches, he will lose his mechanics and just try to throw 150 mph. That type of composure is something he'll get with experience.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)

If Jenks, AJP and anyone who is calling pitches can't figure out a high fastball when you throw 100 mph is an effective pitch doesn't deserve to be on the field. You can throw 85 mph and get fastballs by people upstairs.

As for pitching inside, with two outs and two on you don't go inside to a dead pull hitter who is obviously looking in there. That fastball got too much of the plate plain and simple. Instead of blaming Jenks, what about Marte who walked yet another lefty? Or Ozzie who left him in to face another batter after the Hafner walk? The list can go on and on.

JUST WIN TONIGHT!!!!!! As long as we take one game in this series all is not lost....

I didn't blame Jenks, but he did give up the hit. If you read my original post you'll see how I feel about Gas Can....err Marte.

He (Boone) might be a dead pull hitter, but I still don't believe he'd turn on high cheese on the fists.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
I didn't blame Jenks, but he did give up the hit.  If you read my original post you'll see how I feel about Gas Can....err Marte.

He (Boone) might be a dead pull hitter, but I still don't believe he'd turn on high cheese on the fists.

I was at the yankee game when he had the bases loaded and nobody out earlier in the season. I was walking toward the exit leaving my outfield seats early. As the inning progressed I got closer saw the sacks packed with yanks and watched Jenks get 3 straight outs. I said to my girlfriend we just found us a new pitcher. I was also at the yank game in which Buerle allowed 9 runs to the yanks in the first inning. Next game he won and looked good the rest of the year. MB time to show why they picked you to start the All star game.. THe rest of the team needs to stop sandbagging and win a few in a row. :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
If Jenks, AJP and anyone who is calling pitches can't figure out a high fastball when you throw 100 mph is an effective pitch doesn't deserve to be on the field. You can throw 85 mph and get fastballs by people upstairs.

I don't feel as if our catchers have done a very good job over the last few months calling pitches in crucial situations. Of course, that has a lot to do with our pitchers just not executing. However, when I see Hermanson allow a game tying homer to Cuddyer, and Hermanson questions why he threw an inside slider, I just don't get the feeling that there's a great chemistry between the pitcher and our catchers now like there was earlier in the year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I don't feel as if our catchers have done a very good job over the last few months calling pitches in crucial situations.  Of course, that has a lot to do with our pitchers just not executing.  However, when I see Hermanson allow a game tying homer to Cuddyer, and Hermanson questions why he threw an inside slider, I just don't get the feeling that there's a great chemistry between the pitcher and our catchers now like there was earlier in the year.

When you're winning...it's amazing how good your chemistry seems.

When you're losing...well...that chemistry that was working so well? Yeah, bye bye.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Yeah, you never hear of a winning team with bad chemistry, and vice versa.

Yeah, that's probably one of my biggest concerns right now. With the losing comes the bad chemistry and with the bad chemistry comes the losing. It's all in all a hard hole to get out of, but we better get out of it soon.

I don't blame Jenks. Marte put those two guys on.

I did notice what the thread starter said though: in 1st half, it used to be great to watch all the broken bats caused by Garland's inside pitches--so many it was comical. Don't see that that much--from him at least.