White Sox Hitters

DBAHO

Having a look at the stats (and because SnB wants a nice new different thread) :P, one thing that instantly strikes out at me is of course the K/BB ratio. To put it simply, for the Ozzieball mold, this needs to be improved next season. Here are some examples;

Aaron Rowand - Now this season, Rowand has a 112/28 K/BB ratio compared to last season of 91/30. It's gone from just over 3 to 1, to 4 to 1 in a season. Now I know everyone loves A-Row's defence and clutch hitting, but this ratio and his power numbers MUST improve next season.

Tadahito Iguchi - 3 K's last night. So he's got 109/45 now. Still next season, that will probably come down, since he'll be more used to the pitching, and possibly hitting in the 3 hole, putting himself in less sacrifice situations etc.

Joe Crede - He gets a bad rap on here, but this season he has a 61/25 K/BB ratio. Granted it doesn't look good, but it's better than his last 2 seasons, and he the least K's over a season, although he's played in less games. At least it's progress.

A.J Pierzynski - One of my issues with A.J this season, he has 35 more K's than last season in 15 less games. Due to the swinging for the fences mentality, this is probably why. K/BB ratio of 62/22. So I'd like to see this under 50 for next season.

And what about our FA targets;

Furcal - 74/57. Pretty good indeed, round about career norm.

Mueller - 67/54. One of the main reasons people are for him (oh he has about a .8 higher OPS than Crede too).

Durazo - Injured all season, so I won't use his numbers. But in 2003 he had a ratio of 105/100, and in 2004 where he had a great year it was worse, 104/56, yet he had a higher OBP.

Giles - Amazing. 112/61. Almost 2 to 1. That's all you can say. I wish we had him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
If we miss the playoffs, forget about FA targets.

I'll be advocating total destruction.  And a total rebuilding effort.

Considering the way KW has built this team up, I don't think that's going to happen. To put it simply, our hitters in the minors besides Anderson aren't really ready at the moment.

If they blow this and dont make the playoffs, Brooks will have a hard time marketting this team for tickets.

So sad, if they had kept winning, cruised into the playoffs and won a series they would of had more season ticket holders. If they blow this, it will be tumbleweed city out there.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
If they blow this and dont make the playoffs, Brooks will have a hard time marketting this team for tickets. 

So sad, if they had kept winning, cruised into the playoffs and won a series they would of had more season ticket holders.  If they blow this, it will be tumbleweed city out there.

Oh man, I can't even imagine how empty that place will be if they choke this away. Hell, they'll probably have trouble if they only get the WC or stumble into the playoffs and get pissed on.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
I just find it odd that if the Sox make it into playoffs by 1 game, and go 3 and out, this team IMO will look for some pieces to add, and hopfully be better for next season.

If we miss the playoffs by one game, we are going to re-build?

Yep, I think Jenks Heat said it perfectly. We've won over 90 games. We should be adding the final piece or two to try and win a world series, not a re-building process. We already went through that a few years ago, and believe or not, we HAVE made progress this season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Yep, I think Jenks Heat said it perfectly. We've won over 90 games. We should be adding the final piece or two to try and win a world series, not a re-building process. We already went through that a few years ago, and believe or not, we HAVE made progress this season.

A lot of money will have to be spent to upgrade this team significantly in the offseason. The Sox are nearing a time where they have a lot of young guys on the cusp of making the big leagues. I'd really like to see a guy like Anderson get a chance to prove what he can do before he's 26 or 27 and a year away from free agency.

Afternoon folks. I'm an Indian fan here to just chat, and not cause trouble. I for one am happy with the way things are going because I am a tribe fan, but am still not convinced that the Sox are dead. The problem with this team as I see it is their manager. Man this guy has got to piss off players with some of the bulls*** that he spews in front of cameras. The statement that he made the other day about he'd rather be playing with his kids than watch these guys lose games is just nuts. I don't know anybody who'd want to play for a guy like that. Instead of publicly cutting the balls off his players, he ought to be looking for ways to shore up this leak. I like this deal that's happening right now. It's been a while since the Tribe has really contended, and no matter how it turns out, it's felt good to have that pit of the stomach worry ache like back in the 90's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
A lot of money will have to be spent to upgrade this team significantly in the offseason.  The Sox are nearing a time where they have a lot of young guys on the cusp of making the big leagues.  I'd really like to see a guy like Anderson get a chance to prove what he can do before he's 26 or 27 and a year away from free agency.

The pieces are there for that to happen. Aaron Rowand could be moved. So could Orlando Hernandez or Jose Contreras. Damaso Marte will probably be moved. So KW will be active on the trade market this off-season no doubt.

In terms of a lot of money, besides Konerko, it only really needs to be an upgrade at third, DH and another lefty reliever perhaps.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
The pieces are there for that to happen. Aaron Rowand could be moved. So could Orlando Hernandez or Jose Contreras. Damaso Marte will probably be moved. So KW will be active on the trade market this off-season no doubt.

In terms of a lot of money, besides Konerko, it only really needs to be an upgrade at third, DH and another lefty reliever perhaps.

- Rowand could be gone, replaced by Anderson. More likely would be Dye being gone in my view and put Anderson in RF.

- Marte moved for, well, whatever he could yield. Hopefully more than a one armed man.

- Konerko gone via FA. Thomas gone via FA. Everett gone via FA. Rogowski or Gload gets a shot or you go get Tracy or Overbay.

- El Duque moved for, well, whatever he could yield, similar to Marte.

- If you can move Jose Contreras for a good bat, you do it. Otherwise, you keep him and talk about an extension.

- McCarthy goes to the rotation.

There are other moves that can be done as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)

It will cost a lot of money to upgrade at 3b. I still have the two highest guys on my wish list this offseason as Adam Dunn or Hank Blalock.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
- Rowand could be gone, replaced by Anderson.  More likely would be Dye being gone in my view and put Anderson in RF.

- Marte moved for, well, whatever he could yield.  Hopefully more than a one armed man.

- Konerko gone via FA.  Thomas gone via FA.  Everett gone via FA.  Rogowski or Gload gets a shot or you go get Tracy or Overbay.

- If you can move Jose Contreras for a good bat, you do it.  Otherwise, you keep him and talk about an extension.

What FA SP are you going to give an enormous contract to? If Contreras is traded, that is...

I'm in favor of keeping Contreras and addressing the offense through either a trade that doesn't involve the rotation or free agency. There will be a mad dash for Washburn, Burnett, and Millwood, and the contracts they get will be absurd...Giles and Mueller...Giles and Mueller!

Edited by sircaffey

Does anyone actually believe we'll get into a bidding war for Giles, an aging player when we have some big time prospects in the minors? Highly doubtful. Also, I'm pretty sure that Giles wants to play for the Braves, and that the White Sox were not a team he wanted to get traded to a few seasons ago. I'd guess that the chances the Sox sign either Giles or Furcal is extremely, extremely remote.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Does anyone actually believe we'll get into a bidding war for Giles, an aging player when we have some big time prospects in the minors?  Highly doubtful.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Giles wants to play for the Braves, and that the White Sox were not a team he wanted to get traded to a few seasons ago.  I'd guess that the chances the Sox sign either Giles or Furcal is extremely, extremely remote.

You are probably right. I'd put a trade for, say, Dunn more likely, if it is even likely at all. However, Giles would be a perfect fit.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
- Rowand could be gone, replaced by Anderson.  More likely would be Dye being gone in my view and put Anderson in RF.

- Marte moved for, well, whatever he could yield.  Hopefully more than a one armed man.

- Konerko gone via FA.  Thomas gone via FA.  Everett gone via FA.  Rogowski or Gload gets a shot or you go get Tracy or Overbay.

- If you can move Jose Contreras for a good bat, you do it.  Otherwise, you keep him and talk about an extension.

I think I like basically every single one of those moves save 1...letting Frank walk.

If this team collapses, there will be exactly 1 reason to come out to the ballpark next year...to see Frank, if healthy, push 500.

A couple other I might toss in there would be giving Borchard the Everett/Timo backup outfielder role with the thought that he can't possibly put up worse numbers than Timo.

Trading Dye, who's value has gone significantly up this year since he actually stayed healthy the whole year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Oh man, I can't even imagine how empty that place will be if they choke this away.  Hell, they'll probably have trouble if they only get the WC or stumble into the playoffs and get pissed on.

Just the fact that the lead has been cut by so much is probably enough to keep a lot of people away. Not to mention, this current team ain't no dynasty in the 1st place. It's do in '05, or down the s***ter for a while.

Aaron Rowand - Now this season, Rowand has a 112/28 K/BB ratio compared to last season of 91/30. It's gone from just over 3 to 1, to 4 to 1 in a season. Now I know everyone loves A-Row's defence and clutch hitting, but this ratio and his power numbers MUST improve next season.

Tadahito Iguchi - 3 K's last night. So he's got 109/45 now. Still next season, that will probably come down, since he'll be more used to the pitching, and possibly hitting in the 3 hole, putting himself in less sacrifice situations etc.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad for ARow. That is horrible. Gooch needs to improve, too. As a team, working counts and taking walks is part of the philosophy. This needs to get better. Look at how it has helped Boston and Yankees in the past. They work counts and frustrate teams. We settle for too many easy one, two, three innings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Trading Dye, who's value has gone significantly up this year since he actually stayed healthy the whole year.

Alot of people may have a knee jerk reaction to this idea. But after awhile I thought it actually made some sense. I think we need to get a little younger at this point and see if our home grown talent can support our young pitching staff. Trade Dye put anderson in the OF. Keep Borchard as additional OF help. Use that money to grab a BP arm or possibly help in Kong's replacement. Getting rid of Carl, Kong's, Dye's and maybe Franks salary, oh and El Duque really frees up some serious payroll and maybe makes us younger and a little more hungry and ready for the long run?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Alot of people may have a knee jerk reaction to this idea.  But after awhile I thought it actually made some sense.  I think we need to get a little younger at this point and see if our home grown talent can support our young pitching staff.  Trade Dye put anderson in the OF.  Keep Borchard as additional OF help.  Use that money to grab a BP arm or possibly help in Kong's replacement.  Getting rid of Carl, Kong's, Dye's and maybe Franks salary, oh and El Duque really frees up some serious payroll and maybe makes us younger and a little more hungry and ready for the long run?

If you trade Dye, and have an outfield of Pods, Rowand, and Anderson, you're just asking for an even worse offense next season. Dye has a very solid contract for next season, and he's basically a lock to hit between 25 and 30 homers. Don't forget he's also a solid veteran who you'll never hear a single bad word about. I'd much rather get rid of Pods or Rowand.