Stan, Tammy, Vince, and Wilma

Texsox

We're running out of hurricane names for 2005. And of the names left, doesn't hurricane Stan and Hurricane Vince sound bad ass? Getting wiped out by Vince sounds tougher than getting wiped out by Tammy, the first hurricane with giant eye makeup.

If I couldn't laugh, I would go insane.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
We're running out of hurricane names for 2005. And of the names left, doesn't hurricane Stan and Hurricane Vince sound bad ass? Getting wiped out by Vince sounds tougher than getting wiped out by Tammy, the first hurricane with giant eye makeup.

If I couldn't laugh, I would go insane.

Do they skip "U"? wino had to remind me that they don't do XYZ, since we never have to worry about getting down that far.

I may have to amend my earlier prediction that we would not get into the Greek alphabet. :huh:

Stay safe, everybody.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Do they skip "U"?  wino had to remind me that they don't do XYZ, since we never have to worry about getting down that far.

I may have to amend my earlier prediction that we would not get into the Greek alphabet.  :huh:

Stay safe, everybody.

Yep, they skipped U2. I guess they couldn't tell if Bono was a girl's or boy's name

But then how would they retire a "name" if they use the Greek alphabet?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)

Yep, they skipped U2. I guess they couldn't tell if Bono was a girl's or boy's name

But then how would they retire a "name" if they use the Greek alphabet?

My assumption is that all the name retiring stuff goes out the window.

They've never had to use Greek characters before, so this would be historic.

The largest number of named storms ever recorded was 21, in 1933, a record that will be broken if just seven more storms develop in the next 12 weeks. And if that happens, the hurricane center will run out of names for the first time since it adopted the system of assigning names to storms in 1953.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Hurricane Vince sounds appropriate.

Right. Hurricane Tammy? That's a joke. If I'm going to die in a hurricane make it sound tough. Buehla was the last really huge one to hit here. Rita isn't bad for a female name.

And there is the problem with these names. What we need are names like Hurricane Rip Your Frickin' Head Off. People hear Tammy is coming! Tammy is coming! and take their chances. They hear Rip Your Frickin' Head is coming! and they get out of Dodge. I am preparing a class action law suit on behalf of everyone in New Orleans who didn't flee because Katrina was not a tough enough sounding name.