High Stakes: Williams Should Be Let Go . . .

Wealz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sox somehow collapse, except for Walker, noone will be fired. This team is just too close to be broken apart. The players love to play for Ozzie; therefore, Ozzie is safe. JR is very loyal to Kenny; thus, Kenny is safe as well.

During this offseason, if we can get two good hitters (3B and Overbay 1B; Konerko to be DH), the Sox will definitely be in the pennant race again next year.

GO SOX

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
For people thinking that KW should be fired after the season, barring a White Sox collapse....

We fire KW.  The end.  What exactly does that solve?

If the GM has no bearing on wins/losses why even have one?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
they rank near the bottom of the MLB in attendance however.  I dont think their payroll will increase significantly.

Secondly, we still have the best record in the AL, how many times has a GM or Manager been fired over that?  If we were in our division last year with this record, would you still be calling for the same thing?

I dont think KW will or should be fired. I think the only mistake he made was not having a vet on the bench to keep Ozzie "semi-grounded". Not having Nossek or someone like him on the bench is a big big f*** up. Torborg would of been nice on the bench next to Ozzie. This is something new for Ozzie this managing thing, and he has noone to lean on for advise or experience.

I would like to see our hitting coach fired. I would like to see someone who preaches a hit down on the ball, line drive approach over what we have. Everyone that comes here, magically has their power numbers jump and their BA goes down. I would like to see this come from outside of the organization. Get someone who can teach the mechanics of a line drive swing. The indians have nice line drive swings. You are less likely to slump with line drive swings that the dip your back shoulder and launch method we have had for the last few years.

Get rid of Walker, hire Torborg as a bench coach and let sleepy baines retire or sleep somewhere else in the organization.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
For people thinking that KW should be fired after the season, barring a White Sox collapse....

We fire KW.  The end.  What exactly does that solve?

Nothing, cause we would have the same awful manager that would have no clue how to handle his pitchers.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and the most historic calapse in the history of regular season MLB...A handful of reasons KW hasn't done his job.  He won't get fired, but by no means is he safe.  He has done absolutely nothing since taking over this job 5 years ago.

which puts him in pretty good company with white sox general managers say for oh, the past 45 or 50 years or so.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I dont think KW will or should be fired.  I think the only mistake he made was not having a vet on the bench to keep Ozzie "semi-grounded".  Not having Nossek or someone like him on the bench is a big big f*** up.  Torborg would of been nice on the bench next to Ozzie.  This is something new for Ozzie this managing thing, and he has noone to lean on for advise or experience. 

I would like to see our hitting coach fired.  I would like to see someone who preaches a hit down on the ball, line drive approach over what we have.  Everyone that comes here, magically has their power numbers jump and their BA goes down.  I would like to see this come from outside of the organization.  Get someone who can teach the mechanics of a line drive swing.  The indians have nice line drive swings.  You are less likely to slump with line drive swings that the dip your back shoulder and launch method we have had for the last few years. 

Get rid of Walker, hire Torborg as a bench coach and let sleepy baines retire or sleep somewhere else in the organization.

Well I can't argue much with this. If there's somebody that should be fired, I guess I'd start here. When you have, as I mentioned elsewhere, so many potentially good hitters who are just sucking, then yeah: I would look at the hitting coach.

With the exception of Uribe, who's made an adjustment, I haven't seen any great consistencies anywhere in the lineup all season.

The caveat being I don't know anything about hitting coaches and how they work, so I could be off the mark here.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
With the exception of Uribe, who's made an adjustment, I haven't seen any great consistencies anywhere in the lineup all season.

Uribe made that adjustment after they brought back Walt Hrniak who helped him get a new leg kick trigger . Walt was here for a short time, Uribe is much better. Imagine if they did this in April.

Lest anyone forget this team has won 90 games. Only Steinbrenner would fire someone with that type of success - a likley because they failed to get the 27th WS ring.

Cashman - probably gone.

KW - no way in hell.

If a collapse occurs you simply can't replace the GM immediately. KW had a plan. Bring in a new GM and you'll get a new plan. To put that plan into effect and begin to see results will take at least three seasons. The White Sox will not have that long to kiss and make up with an already dwindling and infuriated fan base. So who pays for a collapse?

Reinsdorf and the ownership.

Now I noted in another post how the White Sox organization has never had the mindset of a winner. But if this collapse happens (I still think it won't) then they will need to take a crash course or get out of the business completely. A collapse will bring about a fifth season of underachieving capped by the greatest exhibition of underachieving in the history of baseball.

If they miss in 2005, then the ownership needs to look at 2006 and beyond as an investment in the future of the franchise. They will need to open up wallets and pay to bring in and develop players to win a World Series regardless of how the bottom line may project out to the end of the season.

The fan base held up their end of the bargain in 2005 - they should reach 2.3 million fans come the end of the season. Best attendance figures since 1993. How were we rewarded in '93? With a strike whose primary champion was Jerry Reinsdorf. The fans will have NO goodwill left for this ownership group if the Sox fail to make the postseason in 2005. Reinsdorf and the ownership will have to make good to us. Whatever it takes to fill the holes in the 2005 team that will bring victory in 2006. Signing Konerko to an extension, bringing in bullpen reinforcements, buildling bench depth, aquiring Manny Ramirez, etc. They will have to do this until they either win the World Series or are forced to sell because they can no longer afford it.

To me - it is that serious for them. I doubt they see it that way, but if they "die trying" in 2005 and then trot the same club without seeking to significantly improve it in the offseason - it spells doom for attendance in 2006.

KW and OG FATAL error was the chemistry bulls*** and not getting more help at deadline, I not saying big names but to fill holes G.Blum is not what fans expected.KW and OG smug ass faces do not look the same as in late July, even if Sox make playoffs mistakes have been made time and time again.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
If the Sox pull the historic collapse Kenny Williams has to lose his job.

the sox had holes coming into the season. Every team with a payroll less than $100 has holes. But he's done a good job getting the right kind of players [mostly through Ozzie's prodding and style of play]

JR will not fire either Kenny or Ozzie. It isnt happening.

As far as JR is concerned this team is a success. 4th highest attendance, even if this team criples into the playoffs do you have a clue on how much more money that is to the team. This was a cash cow season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
they rank near the bottom of the MLB in attendance however.  I dont think their payroll will increase significantly.

Secondly, we still have the best record in the AL, how many times has a GM or Manager been fired over that?  If we were in our division last year with this record, would you still be calling for the same thing?

Two words: Grady Little.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
the sox had holes coming into the season. Every team with a payroll less than $100 has holes. But he's done a good job getting the right kind of players [mostly through Ozzie's prodding and style of play]

I'd say this current Indians team doesn't have very many holes. Good speed, good power, good average, deep starting pitching, great relief.

LMFAO!!!!

It took a historic run by the Cleveland Indians to bring Anthrax and Wealz out from their rocks.

I take it you guys haven't been enjoying the season as much as the rest of us because you can't go about your daily lives which pretty much revolves around bashing KW.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
I'd say this current Indians team doesn't have very many holes. Good speed, good power, good average, deep starting pitching, great relief.

decent relief, which will be possibly restructured next year. Decent starting pitching. Bad defense, good power, but they are subject to slumping much like our old team. So soon we forget how terrible they were. They got hotter than any team I have ever seen, but thats always a funny thing.

QUOTE(Clarkdog @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Lest anyone forget this team has won 90 games. Only Steinbrenner would fire someone with that type of success - a likley because they failed to get the 27th WS ring.

Cashman -  probably gone.

KW - no way in hell.

If a collapse occurs you simply can't replace the GM immediately. KW had a plan. Bring in a new GM and you'll get a new plan. To put that plan into effect and begin to see results will take at least three seasons. The White Sox will not have that long to kiss and make up with an already dwindling and infuriated fan base. So who pays for a collapse?

Reinsdorf and the ownership.

Now I noted in another post how the White Sox organization has never had the mindset of a winner. But if this collapse happens (I still think it won't) then they will need to take a crash course or get out of the business completely. A collapse will bring about a fifth season of underachieving capped by the greatest exhibition of underachieving in the history of baseball. 

If they miss in 2005, then the ownership needs to look at 2006 and beyond as an investment in the future of the franchise. They will need to open up wallets and pay to bring in and develop players to win a World Series regardless of how the bottom line may project out to the end of the season.

The fan base held up their end of the bargain in 2005 - they should reach 2.3 million fans come the end of the season. Best attendance figures since 1993. How were we rewarded in '93? With a strike whose primary champion was Jerry Reinsdorf.  The fans will have NO goodwill left for this ownership group if the Sox fail to make the postseason in 2005.  Reinsdorf and the ownership will have to make good to us. Whatever it takes to fill the holes in the 2005 team that will bring victory in 2006. Signing Konerko to an extension, bringing in bullpen reinforcements, buildling bench depth, aquiring Manny Ramirez, etc. They will have to do this until they either win the World Series or are forced to sell because they can no longer afford it.

To me - it is that serious for them. I doubt they see it that way, but if they "die trying" in 2005 and then trot the same club without seeking to significantly improve it in the offseason - it spells doom for attendance in 2006.

A White Sox GM got fired in 1990 after his team won a very surprising 94 games. He was GM for 4 seasons. His final season he had each of his #1 draft picks on the roster. I know, the Sox haven't had a pick in the top ten for xxx years. But to be GM 4 years and draft McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez back to back to back to back not to mention getting Ray Durham in round 5, acquiring Lance Johnson for Jose DeLeon, getting Roberto Hernandez for nothing. Trading Baines for Fletcher Sosa and Alvarez. ...So firing KW after winning a lot of games wouldn't be a total shocker. But as fathom says, if Ozzie is still in the dugout running the pitching staff the same way as he has this season it won't matter who the GM is. One big difference between 1990 and now is JR apparently likes KW. He couldn't stand Larry Himes.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
LMFAO!!!!

It took a historic run by the Cleveland Indians to bring Anthrax and Wealz out from their rocks.

I take it you guys haven't been enjoying the season as much as the rest of us because you can't go about your daily lives which pretty much revolves around bashing KW.

As much as I like Anthrax, I, too, have to admit I nearly fell of my chair in laughter when I saw his name in italics at the bottom of the home page.