High Stakes: Williams Should Be Let Go . . .

Wealz

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
There's no comparison between Andruw Jones and Aaron Rowand.  Jones is a superstar, and Rowand is an average all around player.  Don't forget, Jones isn't exactly old, and he should be hitting his peak this season.  But since there's obviously no chance of acquiring Jones now, there's no more reason to look back on what might have been.

And the difference between stats that guys had last year like Beltre, etc. is that there was no testing involved.  By no means am I saying A. Beltre and others were on roids, but stats this year are much, much more relevant.

I wasn't comparing Rowand and Jones overall, I was comparing their defensive capabilities. Frankly I don't think their D is all that different, maybe 1 ball that is caught a week. Beltre was just an example. The point is that current performance is not that reliable an indicator for future results. Jones could easily go back to hitting in the mid 30's next year just like his career numbers, much like Derek Lee probably isn't going to be anywhere near a Triple Crown contender next year. Even considering the power boom, his batting average and on base numbers are not any better than they were in the past. He's still not a $12 mil a year hitter, although he's impersonating one on TV.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indians have 4-5 more years?

Milwood, he gone.

Sabathia, he gone.

The Indian's have some solid players, but they are in no way nearing a dynasty. The first problem is they are going to have to spend. Milwood is a free agent, after his 3.00 era he will be a prime candidate for Yankees or Red Sox money.

Then in 2 years Sabathia becomes a free agent.

Are they going to pay these 2 players $10mil + for 3-5 years?

That will be an interesting question.

SB

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Dont forget that Wickman is gone.  They are saying Betancort and Riske are going to be shipped in the offseason.  Belliard will be gone.  They are going to get raped in FA.

They have some strong bullpen guys coming up though, especially F. Cabrera. As long as they have their 4 core guys of Hafner, Martinez, Sizemore, and Perralta, they're going to be tough.