Vikings new stadium plan

Just announced today

1stad0920.l.jpg

Vikings fans — and people who couldn't care less about football — will have to cough up a lot of green to see the guys in purple and gold play in a new stadium.

The Vikings laid out a financing plan Tuesday that would require taxpayers to kick in nearly $400 million toward a $675 million, retractable-roof stadium with about 68,000 seats in this growing suburb north of Minneapolis.

The public would also pay another $115 million to improve the roads and highways around the stadium complex, which would also include retail space.

If state lawmakers accept the plan, people who shop in Anoka County would pay an additional 75 cents for every $100 they spend on taxable goods. Tax revenue earned at the stadium would go to pay off debt instead flowing into the state treasury, a strategy known as Tax Increment Financing. And road projects around the site would leap ahead of others on the state's to-do list.

Proposed stadiumKke ArchitectsNew Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has pledged $280 million, although some could be drawn from an NFL stadium fund.

At a news conference Tuesday, Wilf said the Vikings were an important part of the fabric of the state.

"Yes, the Vikings are privately owned, but as I have found, it's something that we have to protect,'' he said. "It's part of our fiber.''

If everything goes the Vikings way, the new stadium would open in 2009 or 2010, he said.

Although the team has claimed that it needs a new stadium to improve revenues, Wilf said Tuesday that he didn't know how much additional money the team would earn from the proposed stadium.

Features of the stadium project would include expanded concourses -- 48 feet compared with 24 feet at the Metrodome -- 8,000 club seats, 150 suites and 52 concession stands (Metrodome, 33 stands). Parking would be at the stadium, and the lot would include room for tailgating.

The Vikings headquarters and practice facilities would relocate to Blaine from Eden Prairie. The site also would include a Vikings museum, Hall of Fame, a retail merchandise/gift shop and a themed restaurant

more: http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5625068.html

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

from what I understand on that, Legislative leaders want a special session this year for that. There is also a Gophers football stadium that needs to be addressed. The Gophers have done a lot of fundraising and just need the ok from the state, and also a few dollars for road improvements and such

There is also some hospitals and such that will be addressed in the speical session (it didnt get done before because of budget problems and the DFL and the Republicans hate each other..but thats for a different thread and a different time)

Gov Pawlenty hasnt given the ok for the special session yet.

I think the Vikes stadium will be addressed next year

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
from what I understand on that, Legislative leaders want a special session this year for that. There is also a Gophers football stadium that needs to be addressed. The Gophers have done a lot of fundraising and just need the ok from the state, and also a few dollars for road improvements and such

There is also some hospitals and such that will be addressed in the speical session (it didnt get done before because of budget problems and the DFL and the Republicans hate each other..but thats for a different thread and a different time)

Gov Pawlenty hasnt given the ok for the special session yet.

I think the Vikes stadium will be addressed next year

Silly dying people...

Don't they know that sports is more important?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
So once again I'll ask...if the Patriots can build a beautiful stadium without using public funds for anything but upgrades to the infrastructure around the park, why should the folks in Minnesota have to foot the bill?

I know he isnt the owner now, but wasnt Red McCombs one of the richest owners? Its sad that he can reap the profits from his fanbase and not give them a stadium to be proud of. The new design looks pretty nice, I like the idea of a retractable roof, but I am curious as to what would make them close the roof, precipitation or temperature. Either way, it gets just as cold in Lambeau, and they dont have the option of closing their roof.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
How old is the Metrodome?  I went to the Twins site, and it looks like they took out all mentionings of the Metrodome in place of the new stadium.

it opened in 1981

what I have been saying to raise money for stadiums is do it a bit creativly. Like have a 'FanZone' where fans can purchase bricks to be built on a wall or a sidewalk. All the money go towards the stadium.

Minnesotans love thier scratch off lottery tickets, so make a special lottery ticket so that the proceeds go towards a Stadium fund instead of the Minensota General Fund like it does.

That way people who want a stadium will pay for it, and those that dont want to be taxed dont have to pay for it.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
it opened in 1981

what I have been saying to raise money for stadiums is do it a bit creativly. Like have a 'FanZone' where fans can purchase bricks to be built on a wall or a sidewalk. All the money go towards the stadium.

Minnesotans love thier scratch off lottery tickets, so make a special lottery ticket so that the proceeds go towards a Stadium fund instead of the Minensota General Fund like it does.

That way people who want a stadium will pay for it, and those that dont want to be taxed dont have to pay for it.

Oooh oooh!

How about a scratch-off where you can get cash OR tickets to Twins/Vikings games maybe with the grand prize being season tickets in a skybox.