O'Reilly has to stop lieing about poverty

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Um excuse me but most of the media is liberal.

That is simply not true. That's a misperception that is encouraged by Fox News and others of their ilk. It's a ploy to paint anyone who's to the left of Fox News as a Liberal, and monopolize what passes for political discourse in this country.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
It is true that they've lost money because of it. I won't buy any French products.

I just finished reading a great book about the revolutionary war. We'd still be under British rule if the French hadn't come to our aid. I know that was a long time ago, but since you hear so many fundamentalists (aka, conservatives) preaching about the founding fathers, I think it's important to note that they were all deeply indebted to the French.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I just finished reading a great book about the revolutionary war. We'd still be under British rule if the French hadn't come to our aid. I know that was a long time ago, but since you hear so many fundamentalists (aka, conservatives) preaching about the founding fathers, I think it's important to note that they were all deeply indebted to the French.

Deeply indebted to the French??? No way. It was great of them to help us out in the Revolutionary War, but they did that because they hated Britain, it wasn't because they liked us. Plus we saved them from Germany in World War I and World War II. That's where the quote "Lafeyette, we have finally arrived." I don't know who said that but it was in World War I. If it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be a country either.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Deeply indebted to the French??? No way. It was great of them to help us out in the Revolutionary War, but they did that because they hated Britain, it wasn't because they liked us. Plus we saved them from Germany in World War I and World War II. That's where the quote "Lafeyette, we have finally arrived." I don't know who said that but it was in World War I. If it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be a country either.

Would the US have come to the rescue and helped Britain, Canada and the rest of the allies save France had it not been for Pearl Harbour?

Please answer my question from before.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
You actually think France lost money because of Bill O'Reilly?

Yes I do. I used to buy French products since I was in high school band. Then I stopped my Junior year, sure it isn't a whole lot, maybe a hundred bucks. As far as you and persistance about getting a reason for Liberal media, I can't give you an explanation because I rarely watch news anymore. Whenever I watch it, I disagree with it. The last thing I really paid attention to was Hurricane Katrina and it made me sick hearing about all of it was Bush's fault. Sure help should've gotten there quicker, we all know that but it sounded like Bush caused the hurricane. I mean we can't criticize the governor even though she would've sent everyone out of there, or we can't criticize the mayor because he didn't have sufficiant levees. Of course the mayor and governor were also criticized but I never heard it from people getting interviewed, they only showed ones that blamed Bush for this.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Would the US have come to the rescue and helped Britain, Canada and the rest of the allies save France had it not been for Pearl Harbour?

Please answer my question from before.

Dude, Roosevelt wanted to get into the war but the people of America didn't want to. Give me a response about World War I when America came to save France please.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)

The line is "Lafayette, we are here". It was said by general George Pershing upon his arrival.

2nd point...so are you alleging that the French only declared war because they hated the British, but our motives when we declared war on Germany was that we were so friendly with the French, and not Germany's unrestricted submarine warfare resumption in early 1917, the cable they sent to Mexico (over a U.S. owned telegraph line) offering them the return of the territories they lost to the U.S., or the sinking of passenger liners like the Lusitania (which was carrying arms for the British).

So why is it that France declares war on Britain it's because the French hate the British, but when the U.S. declares war on Germany, it's not because we're angry at the Germans?

Edited by Balta1701

I can't give you an explanation because I rarely watch news anymore

I give up, frankly I think that this term liberal media is overly-simplistic and it in no way helps the process of media reform, an issue of which many on the left consider of the utmost importance, an issue not solved or helped by fox news.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Dude, Roosevelt wanted to get into the war but the people of America didn't want to. Give me a response about World War I when America came to save France please.

A long stretch of American isolationism left the United States reluctant to involve itself with what was popularly conceived as a European dispute.

Early in 1917 Germany resumed its policy of unrestricted submarine warfare. This, combined with public indignation over the Zimmermann telegram, led to a final break of relations with the Central Powers. President Woodrow Wilson requested that the U.S. Congress declare war on Germany, which it did on April 6, 1917 (see: Woodrow Wilson declares war on Germany on Wikisource). The Senate approved the war resolution 82-6, the House with 373-50. Wilson hoped a separate peace could be achieved with Austria-Hungary, however when it kept its loyalty to Germany, the US declared war on Austria-Hungary in December 1917.

Although the American contribution to the war was important, particularly in terms of the threat posed by increased US presence in Europe, the United States was never formally a member of the Entente, but an "Associated Power". Significant numbers of American troops only arrived in Europe in the summer of 1918.

The United States Army and the National Guard had mobilized in 1916 to pursue the Mexican "bandit" Pancho Villa, which helped speed up the mobilization. The United States Navy was able to send a battleship group to Scapa Flow to join with the British Grand Fleet, a number of destroyers to Queenstown, Ireland and several divisions of submarines to the Azores and Bantry Bay, Ireland to help guard convoys. However, it would be some time before the United States forces would be able to contribute significant manpower to the Western and Italian fronts.

The British and French insisted that the United States emphasize sending infantry to reinforce the line. Throughout the war, the American forces were short of their own artillery, aviation, and engineering units. However, General John J. Pershing, American Expeditionary Force commander, resisted breaking up American units and using them as reinforcements for British Empire and French units, as suggested by the Allies. Pershing also maintained the use of frontal assaults, which had been discarded by that time by British Empire and French commanders. As a result the American Expeditionary Force suffered a very high rate of casualties in its operations in the summer and fall of 1918.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_1

What is your point here, what does France being helped by the United States apply today, cause they didn't support the Iraq War? Why are you boycotting France of all countries, do you boycott China, or Russian products?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
The line is "Lafayette, we are here".  It was said by general George Pershing upon his arrival.

2nd point...so are you alleging that the French only declared war because they hated the British, but our motives when we declared war on Germany was that we were so friendly with the French, and not Germany's unrestricted submarine warfare resumption in early 1917, the cable they sent to Mexico (over a U.S. owned telegraph line) offering them the return of the territories they lost to the U.S., or the sinking of passenger liners like the Lusitania (which was carrying arms for the British).

So why is it that France declares war on Britain it's because the French hate the British, but when the U.S. declares war on Germany, it's not because we're angry at the Germans?

Actually it was the British that intercepted that telegraph. But I see you're in California, which would mean you'd be part of Mexico right? And I have no clue as to where you're trying to go with comparing World Wars to the Revolutionary War.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_1

What is your point here, what does France being helped by the United States apply today, cause they didn't support the Iraq War?  Why are you boycotting France of all countries, do you boycott China, or Russian products?

China and Russia would've gone in if France went in. All France is now is just a shadow of what it used to be. France was the frontrunner in not supporting the Iraqi conflict.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
China and Russia would've gone in if France went in. All France is now is just a shadow of what it used to be. France was the frontrunner in not supporting the Iraqi conflict.

China and Russia both had absolutely no interest in being part of the Iraq war.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Huh?  And in the next sentence you say France has no clout left?

I said France was a shadow of what they used to be. They'll obviously have clout if they're one of the 5 permanant seats in the United Nations. Their stubborness will never change. Just like anyone else that's stubborn.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
I said France was a shadow of what they used to be. They'll obviously have clout if they're one of the 5 permanant seats in the United Nations. They're stubborness will never change. Just like anyone else that's stubborn.

Like George?

I'm just not seeing this connection between France and China and Russia, where does Canada or Germany fit in to all of this? Did anyone really expect France to enter into this War, especially with a Republican president, their population would have fried Chirac had they gone to war and were still stuck there. Not to mention their oil for food interests as ss mentioned.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Yes I do. I used to buy French products since I was in high school band. Then I stopped my Junior year, sure it isn't a whole lot, maybe a hundred bucks. As far as you and persistance about getting a reason for Liberal media, I can't give you an explanation because I rarely watch news anymore. Whenever I watch it, I disagree with it. The last thing I really paid attention to was Hurricane Katrina and it made me sick hearing about all of it was Bush's fault. Sure help should've gotten there quicker, we all know that but it sounded like Bush caused the hurricane. I mean we can't criticize the governor even though she would've sent everyone out of there, or we can't criticize the mayor because he didn't have sufficiant levees. Of course the mayor and governor were also criticized but I never heard it from people getting interviewed, they only showed ones that blamed Bush for this.

But it was okay when the media was all over Bill Clinton for months on end about White Water and perhaps Al Gore for saying he invented the internet, which he never really did?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Like George?

I'm just not seeing this connection between France and China and Russia, where does Canada or Germany fit in to all of this?  Did anyone really expect France to enter into this War, especially with a Republican president, their population would have fried Chirac had they gone to war and were still stuck there.  Not to mention their oil for food interests as ss mentioned.

I wasn't the one who brough China and Russia into this. I love your George comment though. I've just been saying the if France went into this, China and Russia would also have. You need all 5 in the UN to agree right? Well it was 2 vs 3 and if France would've been on the same side as the USA and Britain, China and Russia would've came in too.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
I wasn't the one who brough China and Russia into this. I love your George comment though. I've just been saying the if France went into this, China and Russia would also have. You need all 5 in the UN to agree right? Well it was 2 vs 3 and if France would've been on the same side as the USA and Britain, China and Russia would've came in too.

Fact is France never would have gone in there. When I brought up Russia and China earlier I meant why aren't you boycotting them because they are responsible for some messed up s*** as well. What makes France more worth boycotting when Russia is anti-democratic and China is a human rights abuser and also anti-democratic. Priorities seem all out of whack.