Cleveland vs. Chicago 09/21/05 7:05PM CT

S720

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
I wish tomorrow was just another day, but it's "Santana Day!!"  meaning this is a 2 game lead no matter how well B-Mac pitches, which should be interesting since he's off a regular rest schedule.

Santana is still a tremendous pitcher, but against the rest of the league he is not as unhittable as he was last year, but f'n Sox and their swing for the fences attitude fits right into his fastball/changeup arsenal...

Unfortunately, our team appears to be poorly constructed to handle changeup pitchers. Their approach against Santana doesn't appear to change; and if it has, it's proven to have become progressively worse.

AND HOW ABOUT BAJENARU TONIGHT? He threw some moonshots.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JediMaster @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
.Great words from a smart man there! Tribe vs Sox IN CLEVELAND last 3 games God i love baseball

right now the way the Sox are playing they likely will go 4-4 over their next 8 games, I'm guessing splits with Twins and Tigers

So, if it's a 2 game lead going into Friday, that means Tribe would have to go what, 5-2 over the 7 game they have left before the big series to only tie the Sox? and then the Sox would have to win 2 out of 3 to win the division? That would be a tall order at this point, espicially since I see the Tribe going 6-1 over there next seven, s***, that's depressing to think about

QUOTE(forrestg @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
Farmer was complaining the whole game about the sox not going inside.  Yes, nobody could hit but the final three hitters reminded me of my playing days.  Bat in the ninth behind by 8 runs.  Why doesn't Ozzie pinch hit Posednik ever when he needs an rbi and finally I'm going to the game tomorrow because when I ordered the tickets I thought the sox would be battling Minnesota they are battling themselves as I see it.

Because Pods has a solid batting average with RISP. Of course, he has am amazingly pathetic .294 Slugging Pct with RISP.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
I was making playoff plans in August.  Shows you how f***in stupid I am.  And people need to get off of Fathom's back.  He's not the reason this team is on the verge of a near epic collapse.  If I didn't think I would get banned,  I would really say what I thought about this team.  And believe me,  it wouldn't be pretty.

Thanks for sticking up for me, but it's only a select few who feel like jumping on my back. I think a lot of people know that I have been very critical of Ozzie and this team's chances ALL season. I actually have better conversations with more people on this board than ever. Maybe they don't think I'm as big of an asshole as they used to? :P

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
I've told myself im not gonna let them dictate my mood anymore some of you should do the same. I mean afterall we all hoped we got a chance and would be grinding it out right now for a playoff spot in April, thats exactly what were doing now just be glad were up by 2.5.

That's one way to look at it. Unfortunately, we had a 15 game lead on Aug 2nd.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
I've told myself im not gonna let them dictate my mood anymore some of you should do the same. I mean afterall we all hoped we got a chance and would be grinding it out right now for a playoff spot in April, thats exactly what were doing now just be glad were up by 2.5.

If that's really how you feel, then honestly, I'm happy for you. I see some people say things like that, and it seems like a textbook defense mechanism. It is great though that every game matters.

And I told you the next day that it was pointless to not post in the gamethreads, as that's where all the conversation took place on games where we lost (since there's no losers thread). 

I do think it's so great of you to show up in here and pick out one post of mine to critcize it.  The sad thing is that I had just got done telling someone not to lose hope.  Why don't you do yourself a favor and just put me on ignore?  I do love how I seem to be your punching bag, as you didn't have much of a problem with me until the Sox began this epic collapse?

Well, seeing as I've been here since 2003, please don't take it as a compliment that I'm picking out one of your posts. Don't flatter yourself.

It's just that you represent the absolute worst element of White Sox fandom. I had a problem with that all along, not just with you. You can ask my friend quickman how I feel about his whining too. You guys sit here on a message board and if enough of you say the same thing, you all believe it. Go right ahead, and I'll keep right on pointing it out.

There are 11 games left, there's plenty of time to 2nd guess when we see what ends up happening.

Some of you guys, especially you, have preconceived opinions of certain parts of the White Sox organization and everything that happens, you shoehorn it onto your whipping boy and make it his fault ... whether it's Guillen or Walker or Cora or Art Kusnyer or Man Soo Lee or whomever's fault it is tonite.

It's a game of momentum, guys getting locked in, guys getting cold, all sorts of stuff. That's why I constantly take issue with all the blanket blame theories. I could sit here and say how long I've been watching and studying the game but then some ... oh never mind.

Following your logic, there sure are tons and tons of dumb managers, coaches, etc. in the history of baseball.

If you have the right to constantly b**** and complain, seems to me I can present an opposing viewpoint. Again, if that bothers you, sorry.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such an all or nothing season.

This winning every game and us feeling so cocky for 3 months and now losing almost every f***ing game while Cleveland wins, wins, wins, has been torturous.

I know it's not life and death but it sure does suck.

Also, Jim said:

What's the difference anyways?

The fan base will see what the team is made of over the next 11 games. If the team can't get it done, they wouldn't have done s*** in the playoffs regardless.

I agree but at this point I sort of agree with fathom. It's almost like we're at the point we have to stagger into the playoffs just to avoid being the biggest blowers of a lead in baseball history. That would be a victory in itself (for about 18 hours) til we absolutely get crushed in the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
If that's really how you feel, then honestly, I'm happy for you.  I see some people say things like that, and it seems like a textbook defense mechanism.  It is great though that every game matters.

I do, it sucks when a lose from the sox can ruin your day especially after losing such a big lead but whats the use of worrying so damn much? It's a game, if they are meant to make it then they will theres nothing that we can do to help them win or lose a game.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
If you have the right to constantly b**** and complain, seems to me I can present an opposing viewpoint.  Again, if that bothers you, sorry.

I'd have no problem debating my baseball beliefs with you, but you've seemed to have an attitude with everything I've said on here. And trust me, I don't need to listen/read what anyone else says about the Sox. I confident enough in my baseball knowledge/experience that I form opinions of my own. I was saying the same stuff when we were 15 games up as I am when we're 2.5 games up. We have a manager that has no clue how to strategize in-game, an offense full of easy outs, and pitchers that were overachieving so much during the first half of the year. It was just a matter before the luck ran out. I'm just happy we still have a chance to make the playoffs. Too many people on here have completely abandoned ship, and it's pretty pathetic. Those people can go be Cubs fans, and pleasure themselves thinking about acquiring J. Damon and R. Furcal.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
I do, it sucks when a lose from the sox can ruin your day especially after losing such a big lead but whats the use of worrying so damn much? It's a game, if they are meant to make it then they will theres nothing that we can do to help them win or lose a game.

Yep, and it's not like the Sox will get relegated from the majors. There will be a 2006 season, no matter what the outcome of this season is.

nothing is easier than a 15 game lead at the beginning of august.  but obviously bad managing and a gm that doesn't make a move don't want the easy road.

Well that's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it.

My opinion is the players have stopped performing well. The same players who were performing better earlier in the year.

Last I checked, the game is played in between the lines and to me, that's where most of the credit/blame lies.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Well that's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it.

My opinion is the players have stopped performing well.  The same players who were performing better earlier in the year.

Last I checked, the game is played in between the lines and to me, that's where most of the credit/blame lies.

We have been shuffling talent on and off this team for years.

Last year we got rid of Valentin and Lee.

Who do we get rid of now?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such an all or nothing season.

This winning every game and us feeling so cocky for 3 months and now losing almost every f***ing game while Cleveland wins, wins, wins, has been torturous.

I know it's not life and death but it sure does suck.

Also, Jim said:

What's the difference anyways?

The fan base will see what the team is made of over the next 11 games. If the team can't get it done, they wouldn't have done s*** in the playoffs regardless.

I agree but at this point I sort of agree with fathom. It's almost like we're at the point we have to stagger into the playoffs just to avoid being the biggest blowers of a lead in baseball history. That would be a victory in itself (for about 18 hours) til we absolutely get crushed in the playoffs.

Just like we went into a downward spiral we can start winning again. Some people just have to realize that one win is one win nothing more, I mean after the sox win one or two they start "oh we have this division locked" then we lose 1 or 2 and "oh s*** its over im out." Even if KC did take the past 2 series if the sox want to get into the playoffs they will take 2 this time.

It might sound like I am being optimistic but I really don't feel like it, our don't like how this is looking but you don't see me going all crazy, just sit back and watch the game.

The thing that concerns me with this team is there appears to be a lack of fire right now. Think about it, a huge win last night, a sellout crowd, your biggest winner on the mound against the opponents #5 starter. I was at the game and if you looked at the White Sox players between innings, between pitches, there was no look of intensity. To a man, this team looked absolutely bored. Tomorrow doesn't look good, but maybe something crazy will happen. Maybe they will try a different approach against Santana, and hopefully, they'll try something different against Haffner next weekend.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
We have been shuffling talent on and off this team for years.

Last year we got rid of Valentin and Lee. 

Who do we get rid of now?

Well PK is gone I imagine, I imagine the Dodgers and Red Sox will make a run at him and pay him around 10m

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
I mean after the sox win one or two they start "oh we have this division locked" then we lose 1 or 2 and "oh s*** its over im out." Even if KC did take the past 2 series if the sox want to get into the playoffs they will take 2 this time.

Excellent point. I didn't mention it in the thread, but I thought it was rather petty for Farmer to say the ledge comment after the Crede homer last night. There's still a long way to go, and there will be a lot more up and downs on this roller coaster ride.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
The thing that concerns me with this team is there appears to be a lack of fire right now. Think about it, a huge win last night, a sellout crowd, your biggest winner on the mound against the opponents #5 starter. I was at the game and if you looked at the White Sox players between innings, between pitches, there was no look of intensity. To a man, this team looked absolutely bored. Tomorrow doesn't look good, but maybe something crazy will happen. Maybe they will try a different approach against Santana, and hopefully, they'll try something different against Haffner next weekend.

agree 100%. The approach against Elarton (sp?) tonight was embarassing. They just laid an absolute egg

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:26 AM)

Here's a thing I've noticed over the last few years with the Sox. After a big win or a big offensive night, the next day, all they do is swing for the fences. Every player seemed to be trying to hit a 5 run homer tonight. It's something that has plagued us for a long time.