Were going to try some new stuff tonight

Chisoxfn

The original announcement above said for people to refrain from searching. However, since we expect very heavy traffic again tonight, as a temporary solution (we hopefully will have a better more permanent solution in the near future) we are going to turn off the search function during tonights game as well as turn off the members viewing this forum and the members viewing this thread feature. We think this will put a limit to both the queries and as a result of that the mysql useage and connection hangups.

We also plan on in the near future upgrading our mysql software (hopefully...the expert Kap has yet to tell 2k and I if what were thinking is actually right in terms of going to version 4.0 but we think were probably right for once). Also we'll be cleaning up the database a bit during a downperiod (not during a game or anything).

We want to do our best to make sure people can access and talk with the rest of the community throughout the game thread and than after games we will turn those features back on.

Hopefully this works and once again were going to work on a permanent solution.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
The original announcement above said for people to refrain from searching.  However, since we expect very heavy traffic again tonight, as a temporary solution (we hopefully will have a better more permanent solution in the near future) we are going to turn off the search function during tonights game as well as turn off the members viewing this forum and the members viewing this thread feature.  We think this will put a limit to both the queries and as a result of that the mysql useage and connection hangups.

We also plan on in the near future upgrading our mysql software (hopefully...the expert Kap has yet to tell 2k and I if what were thinking is actually right in terms of going to version 4.0 but we think were probably right for once).  Also we'll be cleaning up the database a bit during a downperiod (not during a game or anything). 

We want to do our best to make sure people can access and talk with the rest of the community throughout the game thread and than after games we will turn those features back on.

People-Clapping_businesspeople.gif

Yay! No error messages!

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
People search during game threads?

Probably, how else would they find those old threads where someone made a prediction that either a.) came true or b.) didn't and then bump it back to the front page from oblivion.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Ya, I almost never use the function either.  However, when it gets used it does use up a massive amount of resources.  The big thing is it tends to lead to a hangup. 

But who knows, I know some people say they search a lot.

I notice sometimes during game threads my browser (Firefox) hangs on refreshing the page like it's running a query that never ends. I haven't seen it do this in Internet Explorer but I don't use IE that often.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I notice sometimes during game threads my browser (Firefox) hangs on refreshing the page like it's running a query that never ends. I haven't seen it do this in Internet Explorer but I don't use IE that often.

The same thing happens to me. For whatever reason the page will show up but on the bottom right its continuing to load something. Usually when thats happening the site is majorly lagging. I've never known the exact cause of it but its when I know the sites probably gonna drop for a second or two.

When its not doing it it just works perfect and quickly kicks in. I think next time I notice that problem I'll hop onto IE and see if I get the same result or not. Who knows, maybe its a minor flaw in the board software when your running on Mozilla.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
The original announcement above said for people to refrain from searching.  However, since we expect very heavy traffic again tonight, as a temporary solution (we hopefully will have a better more permanent solution in the near future) we are going to turn off the search function during tonights game as well as turn off the members viewing this forum and the members viewing this thread feature.  We think this will put a limit to both the queries and as a result of that the mysql useage and connection hangups.

We also plan on in the near future upgrading our mysql software (hopefully...the expert Kap has yet to tell 2k and I if what were thinking is actually right in terms of going to version 4.0 but we think were probably right for once).  Also we'll be cleaning up the database a bit during a downperiod (not during a game or anything). 

i am now searching for the last time i searched. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
"View New Posts" function was not altered in any way.

I'm a little confused about the difference between a search and a query. Isn't every screen the result of a MySQL query? I mean the data lives in tables and the various screens just format the selected records, so while a query is lauched by a user initiated search, aren't you are also running a query everytime you refresh a page or open a new one? MySQL is a nice program, I use it at work and at home, but I know it sucks up processors at an amazing rate. More RAM?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)

When I first looked at this thread title I cringed. Any time Jason says he's gonna try something new its time to run for cover.

:lol:

Hmmm. There should be a difference between viewing new posts and searching.

This thing has two gigs of RAM. It AIN'T the server. I've said that 501 times now, I think.

However, I do think that we have some database integrity issues, which is causing the slowdowns.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
This server has some balls.

Maybe we could get a server with tits who doesn't care about the game and will pay attention to serving, maybe bring us all a beer?

I kid, because I care*™

*Used by Permission of FlaSoxxJim