Who stepped up?

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Better suggestion would be to trade him to a team desperate for a leadoff hitter.  I know it won't happen, but a lot of teams might overpay for him.

What's Pods's contract status beyond 2006? If we're moving outfielders this offseason, I'd be in favor of moving Dye and holding onto Podsednik just because of the $4 million difference in their salaries. If we have Pods for 2 more years, maybe we could hold onto him as a cheap (and fast) player for next year, try to get him healthy and get his steals back above 70, and then trade him when there's another rookie other than Anderson ready to take his spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Pods is a FA after next season, I think.  If you trade Dye, you're getting rid of one of our only sure fire power threats.

Which is exactly why he's tradeable if this team completely tanks and we decide to rebuild...He's a sure fire power threat, that we managed to sign for under his market value because of a long history of injuries.

If we trade him this offseason to someone who needs an outfield bat (St. Louis, Houston come to mind rapidly), they're getting an outfielder who nearly hit 30 dingers this year for fairly cheap. That's a high value trade target, and can bring a ton in return.

On the other hand, Dye is signed through 06 with a team option for 07. So if he comes back next year and declines rapidly or suffers another injury, which would not be surprising at all for him based on his previous seasons, his trade value will be going down and his price will be going up if we do pick up the option.

With as many outfielders as we have who I'd call up and coming, I think moving Dye to create space for cheap, talented youth and to try to pick up some additional quality prospects makes good sense this offseason.

Guys like Dye get traded every offseason, and they rarely get a lot of value in return. There are a lot of outfielders that can hit .270 with 25-30 homers. Guys like Burnitz, Dye, Reggie Sanders bounce around a lot because these type of guys are a dime a dozen. We might as well keep Dye, because with his solid contract, we're not going to get a better replacement for a cheaper cost.

I gotta agree with Ginger on the first post. And our three aces have not been pitching good and duque just plain sucks. Contreras has been the man winning his last 6 decisions and seeming to be the only quality SP in the month of Sept. all the way back to the beginning of Aug. Im also glad to see BMac is going to be getting his work which is a good maturing time for him too. I'm sure if he makes an even bigger impact he'll be in the rotation come next year.

Edited by Ozzie Montana