How to pitch to Travis Hafner

White Sox Josh

Ozzie's problem is when he takes out a starter its often 1 batter too late, or next weekend when the Sox will have no part of Hafner and walk him every time like you suggest, it will be 1 series too late. Of course, last night the Sox didn't score so even if Hafner doesn't homer twice, its still a loss, although you never know how Cleveland would have used their bullpen and how their pitchers and Sox hitters would have reacted in a closer game. A key play to me last night was Sizemore scoring on that wild pitch. AJ took a while to react to the ball, and also seemed to hesitate with a poor toss to Garland, or the game is still 1-0 and who knows what happens next.

Hafner is white hot right now but there are still ways to pitch to him. He appears to like the ball low in the strike zone, inner half. But he's good enough and strong enough that he can drive the outside pitch.

They need to pitch him in on the hands, a little higher, so he can't extend, mix speeds with some outer half stuff and get him offstride. Oh, and don't miss your spots.

Easier said than done, but it can be done. Somebody's been getting him out, but not much lately.

It's because of Ozzie's personality.

Ozzie Montana's ego and Napoleon complex will not allow him to intentionally walk anyone ever, regardles of the situation or possible outcome. From Ozzie's perspective, it's a sign of weakness. How many times have we intentionally walked Hunter, Sweeney or Haffner in the past 2-3 years?? How many game winning hits do those have combined against us, say in the past 2-3 years?

Secondly, Ozzie has this need to gamble and do the unconventional, because if it works out, it strokes his ego, he thinks he looks like a genius and then he can say: 'See? Now don't ever question me again.'

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
How to pitch him?  Buerhle had it figured out...hit him in the face.

Let him try that s*** again, and Guerhle will be digging Pronk's foot out of his ass. Any way you slice it, that was a s***ty thing to do, and i'm fairly sure he knows what will happen to his happy ass if he tries it again. I can't believe people condone s*** like that in MLB.

QUOTE(Wiredawg1 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Let him try that s*** again, and Guerhle will be digging Pronk's foot out of his ass. Any way you slice it, that was a s***ty thing to do, and i'm fairly sure he knows what will happen to his happy ass if he tries it again. I can't believe people condone s*** like that in MLB.

It wasn't on purpose when Mark hit him. And I agree with you that doing it again would be a very s***ty thing to do.

I don't mind when people get hit or when people get hit in retaliation, but headhunting is not something that should be condoned.

QUOTE(Wiredawg1 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)

Calm down. It wasn't a fastball and it wasn't intentional. Hafner gets bean a lot because he's right on the plate. The pitcher has as much right to the plate as he does. God would Hafner look nice hitting 3rd in the Sox line-up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
It wasn't on purpose when Mark hit him.  And I agree with you that doing it again would be a very s***ty thing to do.

I don't mind when people get hit or when people get hit in retaliation, but headhunting is not something that should be condoned.

Now there is a man with integrity. :drink

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Calm down. It wasn't a fastball and it wasn't intentional. Hafner gets bean a lot because he's right on the plate. The pitcher has as much right to the plate as he does. God would Hafner look nice hitting 3rd in the Sox line-up.

I'm calm Damnit!! :D Really though It bothers me when people in sort of a joking way think that something like that is funny. It could have de-railed his whole career. It's just lucky for tribe fans that Pronk has balls like church bells and was man enough to get back on the horse. Looking forward to the next series with the Sox by the way. Man I thought a few times I was gonna need a triple by-pass.

QUOTE(Wiredawg1 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I'm calm Damnit!! :D Really though It bothers me when people in sort of a joking way think that something like that is funny. It could have de-railed his whole career. It's just lucky for tribe fans that Pronk has balls like church bells and was man enough to get back on the horse.  Looking forward to the next series with the Sox by the way. Man I thought a few times I was gonna need a triple by-pass.

I didn't condone it...and your references to 'Pronk's balls' are disturbing.

QUOTE(Wiredawg1 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
I'm calm Damnit!! :D Really though It bothers me when people in sort of a joking way think that something like that is funny. It could have de-railed his whole career. It's just lucky for tribe fans that Pronk has balls like church bells and was man enough to get back on the horse.  Looking forward to the next series with the Sox by the way. Man I thought a few times I was gonna need a triple by-pass.

That is the price Haffner will have to pay for the rest of his career if he wants to hang over the plate. If he wants to stay in there to take away the potential to get frozen or bail out on a good breaking ball, he is going to get hit, pure and simple. In this case, what helps make him a good hitter is going to ensure that he gets hit by pitches.

And please no more references to that neanderthal's balls. That is a disturbing image.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Combination of Project and Donkey.  He is built like a mule and his nick in the minors was project.

Hence PRONK.

boy is that dumb...i think primate would suit him better...or 'Missing Link'

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
"Juice"is so much easier to figure out than 'Pronk'.

I'm all for specualating that guys have been on roids, but Hafner's the same size he was last year, this season. Also, he's putting up damn good numbers. I wish some of the Sox players could be speculated about being on "juice" this season :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
It's because of Ozzie's personality.

Ozzie Montana's ego and Napoleon complex will not allow him to intentionally walk anyone ever, regardles of the situation or possible outcome.  From Ozzie's perspective, it's a sign of weakness. How many times have we intentionally walked Hunter, Sweeney or Haffner in the past 2-3 years??  How many game winning hits do those have combined against us, say in the past 2-3 years?

Secondly, Ozzie has this need to gamble and do the unconventional, because if it works out, it strokes his ego, he thinks he looks like a genius and then he can say:  'See? Now don't ever question me again.'

I remeber ozzie walking a cple batters this series. He did walk the wrong ppl..LOL!