AL MVP should be....

White Sox Josh

I think Hafner wasn't good enough wire to wire. Some MVP's win based on the strenght of their September but Guerrero, Rodriguez, and Ortiz have all had great Septembers too. All are better players than Hafner and had better starts. No doubt that Hafner has greatly helped that lineup but I think 4th place is where he should finish and there is no shame at all in that given the three ahead of him. I still don't know who I'd pick to win it all. I'm leaning towards Guerrero because of his good pennant chase numbers and since their lineup isn't deep. However, that ignores the injury time missed and a weak August for Vladdy Daddy. This thing will likely remain undecided until one of them has that signature moment next week.

I agree with the previous guys, it's probably Ortiz or A-Rod. Vlad is going to be hurt by his time on the DL and Hafner was not good early in the season (on my fantasy team. Glad I didn't cut him!). The might give it to Hafner because of the tear that the Indians are on, but as it was said, the world revolves around the Yankees and Red Sox.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
That's the thing with the awards this year is that there is no clear cut winner.  Take the Cy Young, nobody has run away from the pack like Santana did last year.  I think it might come down to how they do in the playoffs.

It can't, the votes are collected before the postseason begins.

My MVP is Ortiz but I can definitely see A-Rod winning it too as the DH debate always comes into play.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
It can't, the votes are collected before the postseason begins.

My MVP is Ortiz but I can definitely see A-Rod winning it too as the DH debate always comes into play.

only for MVP i believe. Josh Beckett was a canidate for Cy Young in 03 even though he went 9-8 in the regular season.

Nope, CY too. Postseason doesn't matter. I think the most amazing thing is that all four big awards besided ROY could come down to ballot ranking. For some of them, the guy who has the most first place votes could finish 4th on many other ballots. It might just be the guy who gets some first place votes but does not finish worse than second on most. Fascinating stuff in the only sport where this stuff matters. Football MVP? Please.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Nope, CY too. Postseason doesn't matter. I think the most amazing thing is that all four big awards besided ROY could come down to ballot ranking. For some of them, the guy who has the most first place votes could finish 4th on many other ballots. It might just be the guy who gets some first place votes but does not finish worse than second on most. Fascinating stuff in the only sport where this stuff matters. Football MVP? Please.

no im pretty sure its just MVP. In fact im positive.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Victor Martinez is just as responsible for the Indians charge as is Hafner.  ARod or Ortiz will be the MVP.

You can make a great case that Grady Sizemore is the Indians MVP, he's quite possibly the best leadoff hitter in the American League right now and carried the Indians the last 2 months.

AL Cy Young = Bartolo Colon

AL MVP = Alex Rodriguez

AL ROY = Huston Street (Cano a close second)

AL Rolaids Relief = Mariano Rivera

AL Manager of the Year = Eric Wedge

NL Cy Young = Chris Carpenter (Willis/Clemens battle for 2nd)

NL MVP = Albert Pujols (Andruw Jones close 2nd)

NL ROY = Ryan Howard (Francouer a close 2nd)

NL Rolaids Relief = Chad Cordero

NL Manager of the Year = Tony Larussa (or Bobby Cox)

EDIT: For some reason I mixed up Pujols and Jones.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
You can make a great case that Grady Sizemore is the Indians MVP, he's quite possibly the best leadoff hitter in the American League right now and carried the Indians the last 2 months.

AL Cy Young = Bartolo Colon

AL MVP = Alex Rodriguez

AL ROY = Huston Street (Cano a close second)

AL Rolaids Relief = Mariano Rivera

AL Manager of the Year = Eric Wedge

NL Cy Young = Chris Carpenter (Willis/Clemens battle for 2nd)

NL MVP = Andruw Jones (Pujols very close 2nd)

NL ROY = Ryan Howard (Francouer a close 2nd)

NL Rolaids Relief = Chad Cordero

NL Manager of the Year = Tony Larussa (or Bobby Cox)

Iguchi should be ROY IMHO.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Iguchi should be ROY IMHO.

IMO, Iguchi is not a rookie seeing how he's 30 years old and has been playing professional ball for 9 years now. Not to mention the fact that Huston Street is having a better year than him.

Street:

5-1 1.58 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 70 K/74 IP, 21 SV

Cano:

.291/.317/.449 12 HR 58 RBI 71 R 33 2B 65 SO 1 SB 2 CS

Iguchi:

.277/.343/.437 13 HR 67 RBI 70 R 24 2B 109 SO 14 SB 5 CS

ROY wise Street>>>Cano>>>Iguchi

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
That's the thing with the awards this year is that there is no clear cut winner.  Take the Cy Young, nobody has run away from the pack like Santana did last year.  I think it might come down to how they do in the playoffs.

:headshake

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)

Don't tell that to jphat, who would rather have Pods than Sizemore for a leadoff hitter.

David Ortiz for MVP. I don't give a s*** if he's JUST a DH. That guy is a monster at the plate and has more clutch hits and HRs from the 7th inning on. It'll come down to him and A-Rod. But my choice is Big Papi.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
no im pretty sure its just MVP.  In fact im positive.

I'm sorry but you're positively wrong. For some reason, I can't find a great source for the rules but I did find a page about the 2003 ROY voting which follows the same rules.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writ...ovan/08/20/roy/

Ballots for the 2003 award are due in before the first pitch of the division series

That and I bet Curt Schilling would have gotten more than 0 votes after the whole bloody sock incident.

I'll give it a shot. I'll add my preseason picks if I can remember them. I didn't do preseason picks for the last two categories

AL Cy Young = Bartolo Colon..........Preseason-Colon (got one right!)

AL MVP = Vlad Guerrero................Preseason-Hideki Matsui. Oops.

AL ROY = Robinson Cano (Yankee resurgence began with his call-up) Preseason-Kazmir

AL Rolaids Relief = Mariano Rivera (Wickman an honorable mention)

AL Manager of the Year = Eric Wedge. Not really close with Ozzie's implosion and the fact that even though the A's turned it around-Ken Macha will not be back next year.

NL Cy Young = Carpenter.....................Preseason-Peavy

NL MVP = Albert Pujols.........................Preseason-Pujols. MVP's don't hit 270 or below and Jones is no more important to that team than Furcal or Chipper

NL ROY = Ryan Howard......................Preseason-JJ Hardy. A dud pick

NL Rolaids Relief = Trevor Hoffman. It's not easy to argue against Cordero but Hoffman has been the one constant for this playoff team. COrdero has a whip under 1 and an era a run lower but Hoffman has walked just nine guys this year and has had a better September than Cordero. Close call though

NL Manager of the Year = Tony La Russa. Losing Rolen, Molina, Sanders, and Walker is not insignificant. This feels a bit like it will be a referendum on who is better between TLR and Cox which might not be fair to either but I think that's how it will be voted on).

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm sorry but you're positively wrong. For some reason, I can't find a great source for the rules but I did find a page about the 2003 ROY voting which follows the same rules.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writ...ovan/08/20/roy/

That and I bet Curt Schilling would have gotten more than 0 votes after the whole bloody sock incident.

than how come Josh Beckett was a nominated in 03 when he was 9-8 in the regular season.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
than how come Josh Beckett was a nominated in 03 when he was 9-8 in the regular season.

Nominated for what? The only guys to recieve votes for Cy Young in '03 were Gagne, Schmidt, Prior and Russ Ortiz. Beckett won World Series MVP that year, but that's the only award he even recieved a vote for.

You're Beckett arguement doesn't hold up.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
My Preseason Picks

AL MVP: Vlad; Likely winner: Ortiz

AL CY Young: Buehrle; Likely Winner: No Clue

NL MVP: Pujols; Likely Winner: Andruw Jones

NL CY Young: Jake Peavy; Chris Carpenter

Actually right now A-Rod has a better chance at winning the AL MVP and probably Pujols over Andruw.

And you still havn't explained that Josh Becket '03 Cy Young Candidate thing.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)

The awards are determined by the writers so technically EVERY pitcher is "nominated."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

NL CY YOUNG AWARD

Player 1 2 3 Total

Gagne 28 2 - 146

Schmidt 2 17 12 73

Prior 2 11 17 60

Ortiz -- 2 3 9

Edited by santo=dorf