What is the best College Basketball Conference

What Conference will be the best during the upcoming season?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What Conference will be the best during the upcoming season?

• ACC
    • Big East
    • Big Ten
    • SEC
    • Big Twelve
    • PAC 10
    • Other

I do not think the other's even compare. I don't even know why I included the last 3 conferences on this list.

I believe the Big East has the most depth, however the ACC is the best at the top.

I have to give my vote for Big East this year with many ACC schools rebuilding.

It depends on what you consider the best? Schedule? Players? Competitiveness within the conference? Draft picks out of the conference? Finishes in March madness? I think its a pretty subjective question.

You can look at RPI and say "Team A is better than Team B", and then look at SOS and say "But Team B has a tougher schedule than Team A, therefore they must be better..."

My favorite conference to watch in terms of competitiveness year in year out is the MVC. Of course, i went to SIU so my view is a little(ok, alot) biased. But last year SIU was all the way up to the teens in RPI. Did that make them as good as their RPI? No way. It just shows that College Basketball is extremely difficult to rank.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Who had 2 teams in the final four last year, and another in the elite 8.

ACC will be down this year. Duke will dominate that conference

The Big East is solid, but unspectacular

Honestly, I am a little biased, but I think the Big 10 will rule the college basketball landscape this year :P

Normally I'd say the ACC, but most of their powers are a bit down this year. The Big East has a couple of pretty good teams and some decent depth this year. The Big Ten just doesn't seem to have one really good team this year like Duke, Villanova, or UConn (yeah, I know, PG in limbo. But everything else is pretty good). MSU has a couple of solid players but don't seem to have a lot of depth, Illinois needs to get production from guys besides Brown and Augustine, Iowa is in a similar position, and Indiana's guard play is uninspiring. Frankly I think there's a decent chance Michigan wins the Big Ten. They suffered a lot of injuries last year. They've got several solid players and decent depth. If they can stay healthy this year they should make some noise.

If you are speaking of overall, you have to go with the ACC.

ACC teams have made up 28% of all Final Four participants since 1990.

ACC teams have won 38% of all championships since 1990.

Lots of NBA players and All-Stars. 3 possible/probable HOF coaches. 2 of the top 6 programs in college history.

If you are speaking of this year, then the ACC will take a backseat to atleast the Big East and maybe a few others. Here's a slight breakdown of the ACC.

Duke, loaded, will dominate the conference.

Wake Forest, likely will be 2nd in ACC with Gray and Williams back.

FSU/Miami/BC, very solid teams, could challenge for the top 3 in ACC.

UNC, will struggle at first, but should challenge for top 4 in ACC by season's end.

Maryland/GT, in same boat as UNC, losing Gilchrist should hurt even though MD fans could argue otherwise. Losing Jack and Bynum isn't even arguable how much it will hurt GT.

NC State, losing Hodge will really hurt the program, should be around .500 overall this year. I could see something like 16-14 overall.

UVA, VT, Clemson will likely all struggle to get to .500, although Clemson and VT could suprise some people.

I see Duke, WF, Miami, and either FSU, BC or UNC making the tourney this year.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Because a great deal of the population is not intelligent.

I love the additions to the conference too, I have been to the last 3 big east tournaments at MSG, and now that I go to a big east school, I am even more pumped this year.

Too bad my favirote teams (DePaul and Rutgers) are going to get s*** on this year.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Because a great deal of the population is not intelligent.

Last year the A.C.C., but Big East is close. Nobody else compares! Remember the reigning national champs blowing through the best the little ten had to offer Wis., Mich. St., then Ill.) Wow great memories, go Heels!!!!!!!! It will be a rebuilding year in Chapal Hill, but the rest of the league will be solid. Hopefully the Heels will too by the end of the year. The Big East looks like a monster this year! The N.B.A. sure loved the A.C.C. talent last year in the first round, so it 's time to reload. Duke has great recruiting class, and UNC has great commitments for next year so lookl out.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
If you are speaking of overall, you have to go with the ACC.

ACC teams have made up 28% of all Final Four participants since 1990.

ACC teams have won 38% of all championships since 1990.

Lots of NBA players and All-Stars. 3 possible/probable HOF coaches. 2 of the top 6 programs in college history.

If you are speaking of this year, then the ACC will take a backseat to atleast the Big East and maybe a few others. Here's a slight breakdown of the ACC.

Duke, loaded, will dominate the conference.

Wake Forest, likely will be 2nd in ACC with Gray and Williams back.

FSU/Miami/BC, very solid teams, could challenge for the top 3 in ACC.

UNC, will struggle at first, but should challenge for top 4 in ACC by season's end.

Maryland/GT, in same boat as UNC, losing Gilchrist should hurt even though MD fans could argue otherwise. Losing Jack and Bynum isn't even arguable how much it will hurt GT.

NC State, losing Hodge will really hurt the program, should be around .500 overall this year. I could see something like 16-14 overall.

UVA, VT, Clemson will likely all struggle to get to .500, although Clemson and VT could suprise some people.

I see Duke, WF, Miami, and either FSU, BC or UNC making the tourney this year.

I, for one, am shocked by this post.

Well, both the Big Ten and The Big East would get 7 teams in the tournament if I had to judge before the season. Obviously both conferences are loaded and head and shoulders above the rest.

However, I still don't see a top tier team in the Big East. UCONN has had a ton of distractions of late, which makes me wary to put them with Michigan State and Duke. Villanova is right there as well, but just not there.

With that said, I'd say the Big Ten, although it's a tough call.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
But you said they were the best conference this upcoming season. You retract that statment than?

Actually no he didn't. He said the ACC was the best overall. He had this to say about the upcoming season

"If you are speaking of this year, then the ACC will take a backseat to atleast the Big East and maybe a few others. Here's a slight breakdown of the ACC."

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Well, both the Big Ten and The Big East would get 7 teams in the tournament if I had to judge before the season. Obviously both conferences are loaded and head and shoulders above the rest.

However, I still don't see a top tier team in the Big East. UCONN has had a ton of distractions of late, which makes me wary to put them with Michigan State and Duke. Villanova is right there as well, but just not there.

With that said, I'd say the Big Ten, although it's a tough call.

I don't buy 7 teams for the Big Ten. The league has enough depth that there aren't many gimmes, which will probably result in a couple of teams that distinguish themselves and everyone else stuck in the middle. That isn't really conducive to producing a large number of tournament teams. I see Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State as fairly solid tournament teams, and I think maybe one of Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin makes it, depending on the results of automatic tournament bids. I doubt that two of those last three make it personally. Ohio State's roster intrigues me, but I'm not really sold outside of Dials. One can argue that some of their guys will produce more with larger roles, but pretty much all of the guys that could do this played at least 20 minutes a game last season. Minnesota doesn't impress me at all. They racked up a decent number of wins in a less than spectacular conference last year, and I don't think they can do it again. Someone would have to step up big time. Wisconsin is in a similar spot, but I like their roster a little better.

Villanova is going to be this year's Illinois. They are a veteran team with a lot of capable scorers and solid outside shooting. They don't quite have the ball-handling that Illinois had, although I think Lowry will be very good. I think they have a better post game than Illinois though. They had some injury issues in the offseason, but Sumpter is almost back, and Fraser is progressing well. They've got the weapons to handle pretty much every team on the roster. They probably won't have quite the streak Illinois had if for no other reason that their schedule will be tougher, but they can make some serious noise.