Decision Time Approaching For Crede...

bjm676

Questions about Crede

CHICAGO -- Joe Crede has been a veritable baseball enigma during his career with the White Sox, covering three full seasons and parts of six in total.

He has five career walk-off home runs, an impressive number some skilled veterans won't amass over a decade of playing, as pointed out by Aaron Rowand following Crede's game-winning drive Tuesday night. He also the ability to carry this team, as he has done previously on a couple of occasions during his career and has begun to accomplish again of late with a .419 average over his last 10 games.

Yet, he quickly can go from dominant to absent offensively, sometimes in the course of the same game. Prior to his return from the 15-day disabled list, Crede was hitless in 21 straight at-bats and was mired in a 5-for-54 funk. His defense at third base remains virtually unparalleled, but the White Sox have a somewhat tough decision to make for 2006 in regard to Crede as an overall talent.

Do they offer Crede arbitration and keep him for another year, as Josh Fields, the team's first-round pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, continues to develop at third base? Do they sign him to a multi-year deal and work with agent Scott Boras or do they non-tender the talented 27-year-old and let him walk?

The final option would lead the White Sox to explore the free-agent market, either for a third baseman or a shortstop. The latter would move Juan Uribe to third base. With the postseason on their mind, the White Sox obviously aren't committing to anything at this point. Crede holds the same opinion.

"It's too far ahead, especially with what's going on right now," said Crede, who entered Wednesday's series finale against Cleveland hitting .247 with 19 home runs and 56 RBIs. "The only thing I want to think about is making it to the playoffs.

"This is the place I've always said I want to play the rest of my career. There are a lot of good guys here, and I love this organization."

The one-time quiet Crede has added a bit of humor to an already laid-back White Sox clubhouse. When asked Wednesday about the thoughts running through his mind as he rounded the bases following his 10th-inning home run, Crede displayed perfect timing with his quick response.

"I'm thinking, 'The game is over,'" said Crede with a smile.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

josh fields ain't ready to play third base and hit in the big leagues.

And he might not EVER hit in the big leagues. He strikes out at almost the same rate as Borchard.

Schnurstein is probably a better long-term bet.

But if Crede leaves before six years, we'll have to go get somebody else.

And we all remember how bad life was when we tried Snopek and Norton at third base.

Crede is a solid glove with a chance to improve at the plate. We need to keep him at least until he becomes a free agent.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
I'd love to hold onto the kid, but I don't want to do so if he can't hit .270 or so.  He's just making too many outs otherwise.

Crede, of course, making any decision on his future difficult with a recent hot streak attributed to a new batting stance.

Once again, we're left wondering whether or not he may have finally "gotten it." However, if there's a better option available on the market I'd rather take my chances and non-tender him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I like Crede a lot. However, I'm afraid his time with the team has to be close to the end.

He's such a streaky player. He's a god when he's on his game, but he's god awful when he's cold. I don't know if this is how he'll be for the rest of his career, or if he'll be able to find a fair medium.

If it was up to me, I'd like to see him stick around.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Crede, of course, making any decision on his future difficult with a recent hot streak attributed to a new batting stance.

Once again, we're left wondering whether or not he may have finally "got it." However, if there's a better option available on the market I'd rather take my chances.

There is a better option available in Bill Mueller. There's another available in Furcal, with Uribe moving to 3rd. But both of those require us to spend a fairly large amount of money, especially compared with what Crede will make next year. And that depends a lot on what we see the last 10 games this year. If we keep imploding, I'm going to be all for blowing this team up and pushing youth up and down the line (except for our 2 top starting pitchers), and those 2 would not fit that mold at all.

How many years of arbitration eligibility does Crede have? Just 1?

I disagree, I think we lock him up in a multi year deal. He has plenty of pop for a bottom of the order guy, and has a great glove. He is just fine by me. He will never hit in the middle of the order, and I've accepted that. But as far as bottom of the order hitters go, he is above average.

Unless we can package him and some pitching for Bonds???

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
I disagree, I think we lock him up in a multi year deal.  He has plenty of pop for a bottom of the order guy, and has a great glove.  He is just fine by me.  He will never hit in the middle of the order, and I've accepted that.  But as far as bottom of the order hitters go, he is above average.

Unless we can package him and some pitching for Bonds???

... or they will g to arbitration with him. Why sign a below average player to a muti year deal unless you expect him to make more in arbitration than the long term deal. He has three years of arbitration left and i expect them to offer it to him for two more years ( if he sticks around) and then go from there.

Edited by qwerty

Crede AND Uribe cannot coexist. One of them must not be a starter next year. The lineup can stand one of them, but both of them at the bottom of the lineup is killer. SO unless we sign Furcal (not happening), we gotta look for a replacement at 3rd. We don't need the bottom third of the order being a black hole. IMO Bill Mueller will not get that much $$. I'd say more in the 2 years, $2-3 mill per. He's a good player but not a great player. He's starting to get a little older, and I dunno how great a bidding war there will be to get him. Who else will really be looking for an ok 3B? Minny, whom we should be able to outbid, and ??? Most teams that I can think of are pretty set with 3B. IMO Mueller should be in a WHITE Sox uni next year. I appreciate Joe's clutch hits, but he kills us the rest of the game... maybe if you want to keep him around and put him in the 7th inning of each game??

Keep in mind 1 other key point...this is shaping up to be a very weak Free Agent market. Last season the market was very full, so we were able to find a few relative bargains while we were looking around...AJ, Dye, Iguchi, etc., while other teams spent big on guys like Beltre and Drew.

This season's FA market is shaping up to be far weaker, which means that there may well be more demand for people, which could drive thier prices up.

Get rid of a young and inexpensive 3bman like Crede who has flashed gold glove caliber defense and sign an aging, expensive replacement for him?! Sure, that's what winning organizations do.

Boston is going with Kevin Youkilis [sp?], whose bat is unproven and whose glove isn't close to Joe's. If Mueller was that good, wouldn't they re-sign him and trade Youkilis

I'm not saying Mueller is THAT good, but he's sure better than Crede and he's a switch hitter. The BoSox can get away with letting Mueller go, they have a plethora of young infielders coming up not to mention their lineup is stacked anyway. Youklis takes alot of walks, and all you have to do is get on base for the boppers in that lineup. I've heard all kinds of talk about how much potential Joe has, I hear that every year. I've even taken Joe a couple times in fantasy drafts... but I always drop him. He simply has not shown the ability to contribute regularly. With the offense so inept at scoring runs and going for the big dong all the time... Crede seems to embody that mentality... we could definitely use a guy like Mueller who can hit for average. I wouldn't mind it so much, but the fact that Crede and Uribe tag team to go O-fer on so many nights, something needs to be done to absolve that situation and I for one do not want to wait around for players' "potential" to fruition when they've already had years in the bigs. It would be different if he had only been here a year or two, but it's put up or shut up time.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Get rid of a young and inexpensive 3bman like Crede who has flashed gold glove caliber defense and sign an aging, expensive replacement for him?! Sure, that's what winning organizations do.

Boston is going with Kevin Youkilis [sp?], whose bat is unproven and whose glove isn't close to Joe's. If Mueller was that good, wouldn't they re-sign him and trade Youkilis

When Joe Crede was in the minors his power was to right center field but after awhile while with the big club he began to pull more and more. lThus the drop in his batting average. I think Joe is a great defender and he may have found his old stroke. If the Sox had a DH like Hafner instead of Everett the situation would be very much different.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Remember, we all felt this way about Jon Garland. It took him a long time to mature.  But who knows, maybe this is just a nice, two week hot streak for Crede and he'll return to his old form.

Uhh, sorry, I'm not buying that comparison.

People were wayyyyy too hard on Garland. Garland was a league average pitcher from 2001-2004, which is PERFECTLY fine for a kid who didn't even reach the age of 25 yet, and didn't spend a whole lot of time (off the top of my head...) playing minor league ball. Just because the organization tried to put him in a spot which he wasn't ready for doesn't mean he was a bad pitcher.

Crede, OTOH, has never posted an OBP above .315 (2000 not withstanding, only 14 ABs), and doesn't slug enough to make up for his bad OBP. On a team that's middle of the pack offensively, like the Sox have been, it's not really acceptable to have two mostly-glove, less-hit guys BOTH on the left side of the IF. And, I'll take Uribe over Crede, because he plays a more premium defensive position, and he plays it extremely well, too.

Problem is, I don't know who the replacement is. If Fields doesn't put up good numbers next year repeating AA, then he shouldn't be counted on to fill the void. And there's no other in-house options to take him full time. Beltre's name has been brought up, and if you can get Seattle to take some of the money, I'd look into that -- you don't lose any defense, gain some offense (well, this year not withstanding, though it's close with park adjustments), and there's the hope that he can get back towards that 2004 season; hell, even something like his 2000 season (.290/.360/.475). Of course, $7-10 million bucks is a lot to be putting on 'hope', too, but...

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Mueller plays very solid defense, has put up very solid numbers over the past few seasons, and is a switch hitter.  He's definitely going to get more than 2 million dollars on the market.

I agree he's a very good option at 3B, I'm just saying that there not that many teams looking for a third baseman. So, although the FA crop is weak, I don't see too much competition for his services which could work out nicely. Therefore I don't think he'd get more than $3 mill per year. If we could lock him up for a couple years to bridge the gap till a minor league 3B is ready to step up, I think that would be ideal.

I think the Sox really need to work on developing one or two minor leaguers to be every day position players so they can free up some money for a bigger name FA. As it stands, it doesn't look like that is going to happen next year. In that vein, I think the Sox need to make some replacements next year and have a couple high average guys in the lineup with at least one being a lefty. Mueller would work out nicely in that scenario.