141 pitches for Wood

southsider2k5

I have a gut feeling that Clement is injured and Wood will be in the next 2 years. I would never wish injuries on the Cibs as much as I hate them, but it doesn't look good. Prior may end being their entire rotation.

But then again both Rauch and Wright are threading awfully close to the Sirotka/Eldred land...

Guest hotsoxchick1

with the problems wood has had already why would you risk him going down again by throwing that much........geez wtf is baker thinking .........

I noticed that and was like what the heck. Wood is a big strong kid, but no pitcher should be throwing 141 pitches, imo.

Gone are the days when Sam McDowell threw 275 pitches in one game :)

With Woods awful mechanics (only Rocky Biddle and Danny Wright rival him) and the pressure his trick slider puts on his elbow, anything above 110 pitches is suicide.

Well Colon is one of those guys that probably could do some insane amount of work, so could Randy Johnson or even Terry Mullholand.

In terms of Prior, look at his pitch count. The only thing he has going for him in terms of the high pitch count is how flawless his mechanics are.

I cannot believe that with Kerry Wood's glass elbow, Dusty Baker has Kerry Wood go out and throw 141 pitches last night.  Wasn't he paying attention to AJ Burnett who is undergoing Tommy John surgery because of his abuse?

Here's to Wood's arm falling off mid-pitch :cheers

Here's to Wood's arm falling off mid-pitch  :cheers

After watching Dave Dravecky's arm almost literally fall off mid pitch, I wouldn't wish that on anyone... even a Cub.

I realize that was in green and you didn't mean it literally. But, it sure did remind me of the Dravecky inciident.

After watching Dave Dravecky's arm almost literally fall off mid pitch, I wouldn't wish that on anyone... even a Cub.

I realize that was in green and you didn't mean it literally.  But, it sure did remind me of the Dravecky inciident.

I watched Rietsma's arm blow up, mid pitch when he was really young, awful stuff. Wood's been really high counts all year, he was averaging 108 per before that game and Dusty leaves him out there even when he's struggling a bit, it's quite bizarre.

This is from today's Trib. As for the Yankees think of all their arm problems. El Duque just underwent big time surgery, and Andy Pettitte seems to have arm problems every year as well. I hope for their sake that Dusty isn't ruining kids careers.

Kerry Wood had his usual side day before Monday's game and said his arm felt like it always does two days after a start. Wood is surprised at all the commotion over Baker letting him throw 141 pitches in Saturday's game against the Cardinals.

"I think you have to look at how a person gets to that pitch count," Wood said. "If it was a day when I was laboring a lot and walking a lot of guys, it'd be different. I only walked three guys. If I'd walked five or six guys and was getting in jams every inning, that's different. I still felt strong at the end. I was still making big pitches, so it's really how you get there."

Wood leads all major-league starters with an average of 115.13 pitches per start, while Carlos Zambrano is second at 110.29 pitches. Mark Prior entered Monday's start ranked eighth in the National League at 105.86 pitchers per start. Wood said the starters appreciate the fact Baker has enough faith in them.

"You're not in the dugout listening for the phone to ring," Wood said. "You know when it's your day to pitch he's going to let you go out there and throw until you prove you can't get guys out.

"I don't think we're going to go in and throw 141 pitches every time out. But if the situation comes into play like [saturday], I have the confidence he's going to let me go out and pitch, and hopefully I've given him the confidence that even though I have thrown that amount of pitches I still have enough left in the tank to finish a game."

Baker isn't the only manager who lets his starters extend themselves more often than not. The Yankees have three of the top six American League starters in pitches per start. Jeff Weaver ranks first (109.86), Mike Mussina is second (107.86) and Roger Clemens ranks sixth (106.35).