Trying To Think Positive!!!!!

spiderman

Ok...I think 99% of realistic Sox fans went into tonight's game vs. Santana/Twins, and thought we'd lose again, and probably a similar high percentage also thought the Royals would lose tonight to Cleveland.....

So, in my positive spin, that's exactly what happened.

So, in an effort to forget the fact that we couldn't score runs with opportunites late, and that Bobby Jenks is failing as a closer, I come out of this night having what I expected to have happened happen.

Now, let's regroup and take the remaining 3 games vs. Minnesota. They are really the perfect team for us to be playing. They don't score many runs, which takes the pressure off our lineup - instead of having to match Cleveland's offense, we should be able to win these games scoring under 5 runs.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Ok...I think 99% of realistic Sox fans went into tonight's game vs. Santana/Twins, and thought we'd lose again, and probably a similar high percentage also thought the Royals would lose tonight to Cleveland.....

People forgot all of the the second we scored a run.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
I thought we'd lose this game, but once you have the opportunities we had to win this game, it became an awful loss.  A win over Johan at this time of the season would have been huge.  At this time of the season, you need to win games, no matter how ugly the win is.

I'm with you - the game should have been won.

Anytime you're in a pennant race, and the game are this crucial, if you have the lead going into the 7th inning, you had better win that game.

Saying that....I'm trying to revert to my pre-game thinking of Santana is probably going to shut us out again....

So now, we're past Santana, and we have a 1.5 game lead with 7 games left before we face Cleveland. It's now or never. We're not going to face any more aces from Minnesota/Detroit, so I think it's imperative that we go 5-2, at the minimum in those 7 games - that would put us at no worse than a tie (should Cleveland win out before facing the White Sox).

Anything less than 5-2, and they are asking not to make the playoffs - they've already lost 10 of 14 - now's the time to make their case for the playoffs. We can't depend on the Indians losing to the Royals or Devil Rays - it's up to us to take care of what we can control, and that's beating the Twins and Tigers coming up.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
I thought we'd lose this too. Not this way however, anyways if we can go 7-3 in the last 10 games we should win the division. I'm hoping and praying Kanas City can get a win against Cleveland, and hoping that Tampa Bay can get one too. We'll have to take care of Cleveland ourselves.

Me too.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
I just like how everyone threw out, at around the break, that there is still a possiblitiy to lose this if: Cleveland has a same second half as our first, and if we play .500 ball the rest of the way.

Well I guess enough people said it enough times in july that it has actually happened.  I would have never guessed something like that would happen but it did.

Well, the way I remember that being said was like this:

"IF WE JUST PLAY .500 BALL THE REST OF THE WAY, THEN THAT WOULD GIVE US ___ WINS AND NOBODY COULD CATCH THAT!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!"

That and "....if you had told me in March....." are the two least favorite things I've read here this year.

If you had told me in March that we'd finish just TWO GAMES OUT.....wait for it.......

I don't know how last night's game can't make you freakin' nuts. I am so sick and tired of our utter inability to get clutch hits. This team's offense just plain sucks.

On the other hand, I'm not giving up. We are still in the lead and as long as that's the case I will be hanging in there and watching every minute of every game. Maybe that makes me a pathetic loser maybe it just makes me another sad White Sox fan.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
You can't think like that, That's the trouble you can go on the filed defeted in your own mind even before you face the guy. Yes Johan is good, But BMac pitched his ass off and deserved a win or at least for the team to win. we had our chances against a wild Rincon. Dye and Uribe swung at every damn pitch. And don't get me started on Carl "I see 3 pitches" Everett

I can think like that, but I would hope the players think they can win any/every game....I was just coming at this from a positive angle.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't know how last night's game can't make you freakin' nuts.  I am so sick and tired of our utter inability to get clutch hits.  This team's offense just plain sucks.

On the other hand, I'm not giving up.  We are still in the lead and as long as that's the case I will be hanging in there and watching every minute of every game.  Maybe that makes me a pathetic loser maybe it just makes me another sad White Sox fan.

Last night's game made me extremely pissed...to have the bases loaded, 1 out, and you can't get a guy in, that says it all....I'm grasping at straws right now hoping this ends well.

With the kind of slump this team is in, it is the kind of thing where one big basehit breaks open the floodgates. Someone just needs to try to go back through the middle or the other way, instead of trying to hit one to Fundementals. If they can get a lead early, maybe we will actually see this team relax and not to try to do too much. To me that is all this slump is. The first four months when the Sox were winning everyone was content in their roll and wasn't trying to do anything more than they were asked. Now everyone is trying to win every game on one pitch, one throw, one swing. They need to stay within themselves and play the way that got them this far in the first place.

We STILL have the best record in the American League, and we have a 3 game lead in the wild card race. Boston and NY face each other 3 more times. I still think we are playoff bound. BTW, Toronto has 7 games left against Boston and NY, so go Jays.

And yes, I would settle for a wild card berth. Pennant races are hard, but it's a long season, and you gotta trust it.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
We STILL have the best record in the American League, and we have a 3 game lead in the wild card race. Boston and NY face each other 3 more times. I still think we are playoff bound.  BTW, Toronto has 7 games left against Boston and NY, so go Jays.

And yes, I would settle for a wild card berth. Pennant races are hard, but it's a long season, and you gotta trust it.

This post has it!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
I'm just disappointed that the kid went out there and absolutely dominated yet another team, and we couldn't get him a win, yet again.

This kid may very well win 20 next year.  Wow.  Brandon was absolutely amazing.

I think that's what killed me too. I was just so impressed by his effort. And so dismayed by our bullpen trying to waste it immediately when they entered the game.

Cleveland's due to have a rough outing, it just happens. You hit atom balls and make errors, you leave a pitch over the plate, etc. I just question whether KC or Tampa is the kind of team to take advantage of that.

I think we should all be prepared for a series in Cleveland that these two teams enter tied.

We get no offense against the Twinkies and our pitching is faltering especially the bullpen and has been for awhile now. I am worried, but there eally seems to be no reason our pitching staff can't put it together again. The offesne is a different story though. We can win these 3 games versus the Twinkies. Obviously we should have won last night.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
With the kind of slump this team is in, it is the kind of thing where one big basehit breaks open the floodgates.  Someone just needs to try to go back through the middle or the other way, instead of trying to hit one to Fundementals.  If they can get a lead early, maybe we will actually see this team relax and not to try to do too much.  To me that is all this slump is.  The first four months when the Sox were winning everyone was content in their roll and wasn't trying to do anything more than they were asked.  Now everyone is trying to win every game on one pitch, one throw, one swing.  They need to stay within themselves and play the way that got them this far in the first place.

If that Crede homer didn't lift them, I don't know what can.