You can all kill me for this

sox-r-us

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
With all due respect, this is a riduculous thread. Go to New York sometime and see how much the Met fans hate the Yankees, and vice-versa. Last I counted,  they have 5 championships between them since '86. Somehow it doesn't matter over there.

Solid post.

QUOTE(FlaSoxJimm @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
Where is the jerking off smiley when you need it?

I swear, I was going to say the exact same thing, minus the green font. :D

Our organizational depth charts since 1901:

Positional Chart

Pitching

Over the last 80 years or so, we just haven't had the personnel that it takes to win it all. That is it, end of story.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

This post has been edited to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Edited by YASNY

The difference between the collapses is how poorly the teams played when blowing the lead. We're still in the general vicinity of .500 during this stretch, while the 1969 Cubs finished the year on like an 8-20 stretch, losing like 11 of 12 at one point. And when it comes to the playoffs, being up 3-1 and losing the series is a massive collapse, trumped only by the Yankees.

Plus the entire principle of karma is you get what you pay for. This is clearly not the case. Bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people. Plus, the religious beliefs of karma involve the next life, not the current one. Blaming cross-city hatred for baseball ineptitude is way worse than blaming some goat or a star player that died like 50 years ago, or a scandal that happened long before we were born.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
I live in Oregon but I listen to Chicago sports radio via internet (ESPN 1000 & Score)

Ok, so how do understand what it's like to live with Cubs fans?

They're extremely obnoxious and brag about nothing. I don't hate the Cubs because I'm a Sox fan, I hate the Cubs because their fans are arrogant pricks regardless of which NBA or NFL team they root for.

:fthecubs

Yep, I don't live in Chicago (obviously), so I don't know what it's like with the Cubs, the history, the idiotic fans etc. So I generally tend to stay out of these things. If you aren't living in Chicago, I don't think you can comment 100% exactly on it.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
With all due respect, this is a riduculous thread. Go to New York sometime and see how much the Met fans hate the Yankees, and vice-versa. Last I counted,  they have 5 championships between them since '86. Somehow it doesn't matter over there.

Absolutely correct. I don't understand what fan consideration has to do with anything. In fact, I saw a Tribune reader say something to this effect in the paper. They claimed that the Sox were bad becuase the fans didn't know baseball and the park had bad food...of course that turned out to be a Cubs fans, but the fact remains that fans support their team when they are going good and the teams results should not be affected by whatever support they get. Futility has nothing to do with fans, only the team.

Oh yeah, to agree with other posters, I don't care what the Cubs do.

Well, I don't live in Chicago. But, I used too. It all depends on how YOU approach things. If you are arrogant and confrontational, you'll be met with similar attitudes. If a Cub fan comes up to you being arrogant and confrontational, you can diffuse the situation by making light of it.

Before I moved from the area (in '76) I went along with a buddy of mine as he ran his route delivering bread to area groceries. His route was on the north side. Of course, I wore my Sox hat. I had a f***in' blast! There was plenty of playful jabs thrown throughout the course of the day, but it was all good. There were also a LOT of laughs and handshakes that day.

Sometimes, there are asshole Sox fans as well as asshole Cub fans.