Reason for the collapse?

DonkeyKongerko

Dear Chicago White Sox,

I was looking over some records on this whole Collapse issue and I came across this bit of information.

White Sox August 2: Released pitcher Shingo Takatsu.

I'm pretty sure this is where it all started (look at the date!). It looks like the Mets really like Shingo at this point and we couldn't trade with them anyway right now. Guys I'm not really sure what we can do with this information, would an apology be in order? Perhaps we could play the Gong Song before games instead of Thunderstruck as a tribute? Maybe some sort of a Rally Shingo? Whatever happened to all those commercials with Shingo anyways?

Just trying to help. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Grasping at straws,

-DK

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Dear Chicago White Sox,

I was looking over some records on this whole Collapse issue and I came across this bit of information.

I'm pretty sure this is where it all started (look at the date!). It looks like the Mets really like Shingo at this point and we couldn't trade with them anyway right now. Guys I'm not really sure what we can do with this information, would an apology be in order? Perhaps we could play the Gong Song before games instead of Thunderstruck as a tribute? Maybe some sort of a Rally Shingo? Whatever happened to all those commercials with Shingo anyways?

Just trying to help. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Grasping at straws,

-DK

OUr offense died before that.

I put the death of the offense at the Cub sox series.

We won the first game in a laugher. Then we get shut down by Droopy and 1 hit by a less than great Mark Prior. We then sweep Detroit, having problems getting hits and scoring runs except for one game. We trounce Tampa and their terrible pitching, then get swept by the As to end the first half.

We sweep the Indians, then lose 2 out of 3 to the Tigers, then the Boston series, then our offense officially dies.

It comes alive during the Baltimore series. Then goes back to sleep for a month like a bear in winter.

It then comes alive for Texas then our pitching staff goes to sleep. It then goes back to sleep when the Royals come to town.

End of offense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
You know, I forgot to list Shingo in that "Disappointing players" thread.  I still can't believe how rapidly he lost it, and it wasn't through loss of velocity or hitters figuring him out, it was entirely a loss of control.  I don't know if I've ever seen a pitcher totally lose his control like that.

Seen any Marte outings lately?

I'm glad somebody posted about this because I was dying to last night, watching that disaster.

There is one GLARING flaw in the White Sox that has been present all season, even in the winning 1st half. It is what is KILLING us. And it's what did us in last night, and countless other times.

WE CANNOT HIT WITH MEN ON BASE. I cannot even DESCRIBE how many games I've been two where we've stranded bases loaded, runners at the corners... you name it. Time, after time, after time.

Brandon pitched a smoking game last night and we had the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth and one out. Nothing. We have been doing that all year. And it's what's killing us. That's if we even get anybody on base, which is the 2 to the 1-2 punch which is burying us.

BTW can well all retire the term "smallball"? When the hell was the last time we ever played that? When was the LAST time you saw somebody actually steal a base? Podsednik is completely AWOL--WTF?--and there was Iguchi on first last night... just sitting there.

Are these the only two guys who can steal? What about Dye? Uribe? Anybody?

It's like we had a great 1st half doing all these "smallball" things and we completely ditched them 2nd half.

And like I said before, "smallball" doesn't mean "low scoring ball." Scoring 1-2 runs a game doesn't mean that you're playing smallball, it means that your offense sucks. No wonder our pitchers are worn out--we've been asking them to perform miracles the entire season.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
So is it any coincendence that his replacement Bobby Jenks has two blown saves and a loss in his last 3 games???  Hmm...

Low fastballs over the heart of the plate go a LONG way.

Jenks has thrown too many fat, flat ones lately.

He's doing a dead-on impression of Kyle Farnsworth.

( emphasis on "dead".... )

WOW. Funny you mention that because my superfan, Cub-loving co-worker (who has been watching the Sox lately and is a baseball expert) said the EXACT same thing: Kyle Farnsworth.

Has anybody else noticed the absolute coincidence?

Bobby Jenks has been lights-out, until he was "officially" named the closer. Since then he has blown every save.

Kyle Farnsworth was a 100 mph pitcher too but mentally collapsed. Yikes. And could the timing of all this be any more tragic, what with Hermanson apparently MIA?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Seen any Marte outings lately?

Marte isnt' a finesse pitcher like Takatsu is. When a fastball/curveball pitcher who relies on speed loses control, it's not that shocking. When a guy like Takatsu, who relies entirely on location, loses control, it's quite shocking. Think about guys like Maddux, Jamie Moyer, etc. These guys have incredibly long careers because they rely on location and changing speeds.