Palmeiro says Tejeda's vitamins may be cause

3E8

There are rumblings that Congress may decide to do a public release of the documents that MLB handed over to them...if so, we can make sure that the leak of the steroid he was caught using (Winstrol) was actually correct, and then we can start asking Tejada what he injected into Raffy's ass.

1 thing here...Palmeiro will likely never put on an Orioles uniform again, even if he does want to play.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Heard on Boers and Bernstein the other day Congress is also talking to players he's played with to confirm he did steroids before the hearing so they can nail him with perjury charges

They're trying to do so...but I don't think they will.

We're almost certain the positive test happened after Palmeiro had already testified. Despite the long appeals process in baseball, it doesn't last 4 months.

In other words, there's no way to prove that Palmeiro used the stuff before he testified. That creates reasonable doubt, which would mean a conviction was impossible.

Unless they can find multiple witnesses who are themselves willing to say they shot up with Palmeiro in the months before he testified before Congress, they won't be able to prove their case. There's nothing in the test that would be able to date when he used the stuff.

I think the best we may be able to hope for is either a public release of those documents or a second public Congressional hearing involving Palmeiro...which would be a delight to watch, wouldn't it?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
I have never heard Peter Gammons rip someone like he did on a clip on Mike and Mike in the morning. Called Palmerio pathetic, and should be asked to leave the game all together.

I still don't understand how a guy like Gammons can be such a baseball insider, but when it comes to steroids, he knew nothing. All you get from him (and Kurkjian, et al) is reaction after the fact.

Before all of this testimony came up, all of these so-called experts were apologists for the players. They'd always say stuff like, "I talked to so&so, and he worked out for a month with Barry Bonds in the off season. So&so said that he couldn't believe how hard Barry worked, and nobody could keep up with him in the gym, etc." Totally missing the point that steroids give you that edge in the gym.

Now Gammons jumps on Palmeiro because it's safe. What about the rumors about his beloved Red Sox? Nothing, Peter?

I don't blame the media. If I were a respected baseball insider I wouldn't be going around naming names of guys that me be juicing. Thats totally speculative and while you may here things, its one thing to say a guy may be getting dealt and its a whole nother thing to accuse a guy of being on steroids based on hearing it from someone your talking to (how the hell do you know its true and if its not, you could be sued for libel I believe).

Its one thing for talking heads to say things or the people o nthe radio like Mike North (who aren't insiders) but if a guy like Gammons started calling players out based on rumors he heard, he'd be very quickly out of a job and people around the baseball world wouldn't want to talk to him.

Knock Gammons all you want, but he's a pretty good reporter and I think he knows his stuff.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Knock Gammons all you want, but he's a pretty good reporter and I think he knows his stuff.

I really wouldn't expect Gammons to "out" players who took steroids. However, when he and so many others were asked about it a couple of years ago when Caminiti said something like 80% of ballplayers were on roids, Gammons and these other guys acted like it wasn't possible. I think we're seeing now that Caminiti and Canseco probably weren't far off in numbers and who they named.

As often as these guys are in locker rooms, I'm pretty sure that they can look at a guy from month to month and season to season and see who has had drastic physical changes. Kind of like looking at Giambi's rookie card or Bonds' rookie card, and then looking at them now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
I still dont think 80% of major league players were on roids.  That is a ridiculously high % and not everyone is a cheater.  I bet you there were more people not on roids than there was on the roids.

I used to think that, too. I never thought pitchers would have a reason to use them because I was only considering the strength benefits. The recovery aid that steroids give to your muscles after a workout was lost on me. I don't know that 80% of the players were taking them regularly, but it's possible that guys were getting on them for short periods of time. I also don't think that all the players were doing it to cheat. Some were probably trying to recover from nagging injuries in an attempt to get back on the field.