Hurricane Rita.

kapkomet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was flying through Houston on my way back to Austin yesterday and we flew over highway 59, and I-45 and I-10. It was PACKED!!! And all of the people on the plane, as soon as they could, called home and started making plans to get to the Austin area. There are no rooms here and they re-opened some of the shelters that were used for Katrina evacuees.

The airport was packed and had 20 stand-bys on my flight.

I heard that someone tried to get out of Houston, left at 10:30 last night and gotten 50 miles...THIS MORNING AT 8:30!!! That's 5 miles an hour people. Ridiculous.

Kap, good luck if it comes your way...we'll be battoning down the hatches here tonight.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Rita has been downgraded to a Category 4 storm.

Here are some words from the Weather Underground site.

Latest RECON data and satellite imagery confirm that an eye wall replacement cycle has begun, and this has led to some further weakening in the storm.

The storm is located near 25.4N/88.8W -- and the central pressure has risen to 915mb. In addition, the 18NM diameter eyewall has just 'opened up' to the SE, revealing the developing outer eyewall with a 45NM diameter. The MAX winds have also eased back to around 155mph -- a borderline CAT 5 intensity. Even more telling, the thermal eyewall temp gradient of the INNER eye has dropped to 4°C indicating the inner wall will soon collapse entirely, and the outer ring of convection will become the primary eye wall. Once that completes (in 2-hrs) - the new , wider diameter eyewall will begin shrinking down again, and will most likely lead to some re-intensification of the wind speeds - if not the pressure itself. That would likely occur overnight.

At least the cars are moving on that road.

New NOAA update is out...suggesting possible strengthening.

RITA IS GOING TROUGH THE WEAKENING PHASE OF AN EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE AND DATA FROM THE NOAA RECONNAISSANCE PLANE INDICATE THAT WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO 125 KNOTS...AND THIS MAY BE GENEROUS. HOWEVER...THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS REMAINED AROUND 913 MB...WHICH IS A VERY LOW PRESSURE TO HAVE ONLY 125 KNOTS. IN ADDITION TO THE EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE...RITA IS CURRENTLY MOVING OVER THE EDGE OF A COLD SST EDDY. THIS COULD HAVE ENHANCED THE WEAKENING TODAY. THE HURRICANE IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER ANOTHER WARM EDDY DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS AND THERE IS SOME CHANCE THAT RITA COULD REGAIN SOME INTENSITY. BECAUSE THE SHEAR IS FORECAST TO INCREASE...THIS MAY COMPENSATE FOR THE STRENGTHENING THAT MAY BE CAUSED BY THE EFFECTS OF THE HIGH HEAT CONTENT. THE BEST OPTION AT THIS TIME IS TO KEEP RITA AS A 125 KT HURRICANE WITH A SLIGHT WEAKENING BEFORE LANDFALL.  THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A DANGEROUS HURRICANE OF AT  LEAST A CATEGORY THREE INTENSITY.

ABC

HOUSTON Sep 22, 2005 — Wilma Skinner would like to scream at the officials of this city. If only someone would pick up their phone.

"I done called for a shelter, I done called for help. There ain't none. No one answers," she said, standing in blistering heat outside a check-cashing store that had just run out of its main commodity. "Everyone just says, 'Get out, get out.' I've got no way of getting out. And now I've got no money."

With Hurricane Rita breathing down Houston's neck, those with cars were stuck in gridlock trying to get out. Those like Skinner poor, and with a broken-down car were simply stuck, and fuming at being abandoned, they say.

"All the banks are closed and I just got off work," said Thomas Visor, holding his sweaty paycheck as he, too, tried to get inside the store, where more than 100 people, all of them black or Hispanic, fretted in line. "This is crazy. How are you supposed to evacuate a hurricane if you don't have money? Answer me that?"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
I just saw this on CNBC.  These people have no luck whatsoever.  I wonder how far back this sets back the recovery in NO?

At least weeks.

The Corps said they were expecting some levee damage, but they weren't expecting them to start giving way this early.

NOLA's 9th ward was completely pumped dry already after Katrina. It was protected by the levees that just gave out. Several feet of water already...probably more soon.

A bus caught fire and exploded early Friday on a crowded Texas interstate, killing as many as 24 people who were fleeing ahead of Hurricane Rita.

The bus, carrying about 45 elderly evacuees, burst into flames on Interstate 45 south of Dallas. It pulled over and people were getting off when a series of explosions ripped through the bus.

Dallas County Sheriff's Sgt. Don Peritz said 14 or 15 people got off the bus and said as many as 24 people may have died. (Watch law enforcement official explain bus tragedy -- 3:38)

Peritz said the fire was believed to have started in the bus's brake system and may have caused oxygen canisters on the bus to explode. (Full story)

Authorities blocked all lanes of the interstate, complicating the already grueling exodus from the Texas coast.

I'm getting more and more worried about the roads north of Houston. They still seem jam-packed and that thing will be ashore soon. The current track would take it North of Houston, which is exactly where all those cars are sitting. If people can't get turned around and off the highways, those roads could turn into graveyards.

Desperate to get out of Houston? It'll cost ya.

Residents seeking to flee Houston by air before Hurricane Rita roars into town are finding that only costly last-minute seats are still available.

Continental Airlines on its Web site yesterday was offering coach seats one way from Houston to Dulles International Airport for as much as $1,937. Searches of the travel Web sites SideStep and Orbitz turned up one-way and round-trip flights between Houston and the Washington area on various carriers from $300 to $624.

Airlines set aside only a certain number of cheap seats on each flight, and passengers rushing out of town have already gobbled them up...

"Airlines are not a social service industry," said Terry Trippler, an analyst with Cheapseats.com.

Happily...as another hurricane comes bearing down on the Gulf Coast, and the New Orleans Levees start giving way again...the man currently responsible for the rebuilding effort at the Federal Level...Karl Rove...has enough time to speak at Republican Fund Raisers in North Dakota.

The assignment of your Deputy Chief of Staff, Karl C. Rove, as the lead White House official for disaster coordination and recovery efforts raises troubling questions given his partisan political background.

As all know, Hurricane Rita is bearing down on the Gulf Coast even as the nation reels from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. It would be expected that Mr. Rove would be at his post "24/7" during this crisis.

However, as unlikely as it might seem, we have learned that Mr. Rove will be traveling to North Dakota to engage in political fundraising activities. When this fearsome hurricane makes landfall on Saturday, Mr. Rove will be delivering a political speech to the North Dakota Republican Party, and will be featured as a special guest at a fundraising dinner.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
THEY LIVE BELOW SEE LEVEL!!!

This has nothing to do with luck.  It has everything to do with piss poor location.

That and the ground water pumping/cut off in sediment supply which has helped move that city back down below sea level.

So why did Bush cancel his photo op in San Antonio with one of the Hurricane Rita rescue groups?

Get this:

It was too sunny.

Another White House official involved in preparing Mr. Bush's way noted that with the sun shining so brightly in San Antonio, the images of Mr. Bush from here might not have made it clear to viewers that he was dealing with an approaching storm.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
If I see you say "Hammer Time" one more time, I think I'm going to puke on you the next time I see you.  :puke

:bang

In a few quick months you will have a mini-you puking on your shoulder so watch what you threaten :lolhitting

BTW, this is the official Hammer '08 smiley ---> :bang