Hurricane Rita.

kapkomet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
Holy s***!  :o

This thing is going to be just like Katrina when it hit, and we are still right in the bullseye as it moves inland.

The forecasts are for 50 mph sustained winds with higher gusts here for a period of 6-8 hours.  Ugh.

Kap, if you decide to board up any windows, I prefer the bigger sheet of plywood and anchoring to the ground. Kind of like setting a wall while framing.

W|

I|

N|

D|\

O| \

W| \|

____|________ground level

xxxx|xxxxxxxx

xxxx|xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does the diagram make sense? The board is held against the house and nailed to a post set a foot or two into the ground. Nothing is screwed into the house and all size windows are easy to cover. No extra sawing and trying to fit to the window frame.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
Nah, I won't board windows.  But, I wonder if I should tape them so that they don't bow quite so much with that kind of sustained wind.  We shouldn't be that bad off.

I don't think taping does much to stop the bowing, since the tape is more flexible than the windowpane. What taping will do is keep a broken window more or less intact through the storm. That's my understanding at least.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Well, I'm not taking any chances.

Ruth (my wife) and I are going by the old horse barn to secure everything as possible when I get out of work today.

We live in Luling, TX, some 60 miles east of San Antonio, right off of I-10; roughly about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Port Aransas (next to Corpus Christi). So, if we have to leave, we will. With a C4 hurricane, we're not going to take any chances.

Texsox, how are you holding up right now? And anyone else near the Texas Gulf Coast???

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't think taping does much to stop the boing, since the tape is more flexible than the windowpane.  What taping will do is keep a broken window more or less intact through the storm.  That's my understanding at least.

Gotcha.

I don't think we'll need it this far inland, even at tropical storm force we should be fine.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
Kap, if you decide to board up any windows, I prefer the bigger sheet of plywood and anchoring to the ground. Kind of like setting a wall while framing.

W|

I|

N|

D|\

O| \

W|  \|

____|________ground level

xxxx|xxxxxxxx

xxxx|xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does the diagram make sense? The board is held against the house and nailed to a post set a foot or two into the ground. Nothing is screwed into the house and all size windows are easy to cover. No extra sawing and trying to fit to the window frame.

Being an ex-framer, this will work.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Being an ex-framer, this will work.

Thanks Yas. I didn't put in the detail 2x4s to strengthen the plywood covering and creating a place to screw to. It is sooo much faster and easier than cutting to fit. I only worry about the posts pulling out of the ground. But I figure by then I have bigger problems than that. Is there a best angle for the brace? I was about at a 45 degree. My house is brick and I have a couple great rooms away from the wind, and without really big windows for riding the storm out.

We're sitting here wondering what it's going to do like everyone else. The last one hooked south and missed us, but that one was coming from the south, not the east. The longer the high pressure ridge stays intact, the worse for me. I haven't seen Jim Cantori yet, so I guess we're going to be fine.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I haven't seen Jim Cantori yet, so I guess we're going to be fine.

Good Old Jim "Hunker Down" Cantori – yep, when he shows up in your neighborhood it's time to move. :D

he did several Florida Francis broadcasts at a gas station corner about two miles from our house at the time (just recently moved a few miles away). So, before Jeanne came to get us 3 weeks later, the gas station owners gou up on the roof and painted "Welcome Back Jim!" in huge letters. :bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Good Old Jim "Hunker Down" Cantori – yep, when he shows up in your neighborhood it's time to move. :D

he did several Florida Francis broadcasts at a gas station corner about two miles from our house at the time (just recently moved a few miles away).  So, before Jeanne came to get us 3 weeks later, the gas station owners gou up on the roof and painted "Welcome Back Jim!" in huge letters.  :bang

LMAO! :lolhitting

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Winds now up to 150 mph sustained, Category 5 here we come.

It might not make it...were gonna have some eye wall collapse going down soon...and then it will restrengthen after the eye wall re-forms.

Rita is certainly gonna be a beast

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
It might not make it...were gonna have some eye wall collapse going down soon...and then it will restrengthen after the eye wall re-forms.

Rita is certainly gonna be a beast

It still has plenty of time, by the way, to go through a full cycle of this before it slams ashore.

This one is a f***ing Monster.

When the evacuation order was given for Key West, only 50% of the residents left. Hopefully the people in Texas are looking towards Louisiana and seeing what it did there.