Playing at home

Dick Allen

1 - Swing for the Fences mentality. The stats prove it. A.J has K'd a lot more this season with his BA going down, even though he has more homers. Crede and Uribe hit a LOT better away than at home this season. The park is built for the long ball, and taking the power or Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin was always going to hurt that.

The Solution - Easy, move the fences back. It'll never happen, but this team isn't built for this ballpark the way it is.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
1 - Swing for the Fences mentality. The stats prove it. A.J has K'd a lot more this season with his BA going down, even though he has more homers. Crede and Uribe hit a LOT better away than at home this season. The park is built for the long ball, and taking the power or Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin was always going to hurt that.

The Solution - Easy, move the fences back. It'll never happen, but this team isn't built for this ballpark the way it is.

Another solution would be to get some power hitters with decent plate discipline =)

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
The batter's eye? Seems like our pitchers are getting rocked at home by any team with a decent lineup.

Off the top of your head, can anybody remember the last series we won at home over a team that's above .500?

Could it have been the Dodgers series in JUNE???

Is that even possible that it's been that long???

QUOTE(Darren @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I think you may see them move the fences back.  We've tried the power team approach, was always near the top of the league in HRs and we never won it all.  I say move the fences back, make it a more pitcher friendly park and move on.

When the team was a total power team, their home record was outstanding. They were awful on the road. Pitching has been the difference this season. They have won something like 12 more games scoring 2 runs or less than they had the previous 2 seasons. I would love to see them keep the upgraded pitching staff and add some power and OBP guys. I really think this team needs an offensive superstar.

QUOTE(Darren @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
I think you may see them move the fences back.  We've tried the power team approach, was always near the top of the league in HRs and we never won it all.  I say move the fences back, make it a more pitcher friendly park and move on.

I keep seeing this mentioned, but I want to know how it would be phsically possible? The stands are built right up to the walls, and there isn't much foul territory behind home plate that they could use. They already took 8000 seats out of the park, so I don't think they will sacrifice anymore seats, not to mention rebuilding the bullpens again somewhere else. I just don't see this happening.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I keep seeing this mentioned, but I want to know how it would be phsically possible?  The stands are built right up to the walls, and there isn't much foul territory behind home plate that they could use.  They already took 8000 seats out of the park, so I don't think they will sacrifice anymore seats, not to mention rebuilding the bullpens again somewhere else.  I just don't see this happening.

The only thing they could do I think is down the left field line they could probably move it back 8 feet. It would cut into the Sox bullpen, but they would have a problem placing the foul pole somewhere without displacing seats. They could make the moat a little smaller, but its really not going to have much of an effect. I'm with you, I think unless they tear a lot of things up, which I can't see happening, there really isn't much they could do in this department.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
It really doesn't reflect well on management when you spend 4-5 years transforming your park into a hitter's paradise and then decide to build a team around pitching and defense.

I think it actually makes perfect sense. If you accept that you're going to score some runs just because you're in a hitter's park, if you think that you can limit the amount the other team scores with pitching and defense...you can let the ballpark produce the offense for you.

That is...if you can get people who can put the bat on the ball and drive it somewhere other than straight up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I think it actually makes perfect sense.  If you accept that you're going to score some runs just because you're in a hitter's park, if you think that you can limit the amount the other team scores with pitching and defense...you can let the ballpark produce the offense for you.

That is...if you can get people who can put the bat on the ball and drive it somewhere other than straight up.

I still think you want to play to your strengths. The Twins built around speed in the dome really worked wonders for them. We got rid of alot of power this offseason and it has resulted in a noticeable decline in production.

I say a pitching team should have a pitcher's park. That keeps some of Freddy Garcia's or Mark Buehrle's mistakes in the park and catchable. Meanwhile you build an offense around speed and contact with two or three selective power hitters in the middle of your order to drive them in. Of course this puts alot of pressure on those RBI producers but that's why they get paid right?