You're the GM: White Sox edition

Heads22

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
But hey, this guy, the career .851 OPS minor league who traversed NCAA -> big leagues in 3 years couldn't possibly surpass the great Aaron Rowand's <.750 ops production and greater than k:bb ratio could he>

golly...

Didn't you see what I wrote about Reed?

Anderson minor league OPS = .851

Reed minor league OPS = .879

Anderson minor league K:BB ratio = 1.97

Reed minor league K:BB ratio = 0.83 (not a typo, 58% better than Anderson's)

Anderson years in minor leagues before callup = 3

Reed years in minor leagues before callup = 3

now...

Reed's rookie season OPS = .675, 21% dropoff from MiLB to MLB

Reed's rookie season K:BB ratio = 1.42, 42% dropoff from MiLB to MLB

Rowand's rookie season OPS = .692, 15% dropoff from MiLB to MLB

Rowand's rookie season K:BB ratio = 4.5, 82% dropoff from MiLB to MLB

Look, I'm not saying Anderson won't be able to do Rowand did at some point in time, but it's not going to happen in his first full season. You aren't acknowledging the fact that Anderson won't put up numbers close to his minor league averages.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
And yet Anderson's injury-limited partial season at Birmingham still surpassed Rowand's full season there in his 3rd-straight full-season at an incremental pace moving through the system...

Anderson also only had a whopping 439 professional AB's above Rookie Ball heading into Charlotte.  That's the equivalent of ONE SEASON of game experience in the pros and he's in Charlotte hitting .295-.362-.469...

You want to look back at his season splits?  Takes an adjustment period for every player.  Look at Young's first half vs. second half splits...

Anderson's going to strike out (as does Rowand), but he will walk more than Aaron, play better defense, provide about equivalent power in his first year, makes the league minimum, and his potential is far superior...  what the hell are we waiting for... because Rowand's "blocking him"???    BLAAA!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that he won't be better than Rowand.

What I'm saying is that I don't think Anderson, in his first season, will do a whole lot better than Rowand has done this year. Defensively -- you've seen him, I haven't, so I'm just going to stay away from that. He looks like he's got some real good range, but again -- I've seen him play about five games.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Who the heck had a .910 OPS first year?  That was Rowand's 4th season with the Sox and was a .905 OPS, which is WAY out of line with any of his past or since production...  Nobody has changed Rowand's role or asked him to do something he's physically not capable of, as Pods tried to do for the Brewers...

I don't hate Rowand at all, you can't hate the guy, he's all heart.  That said, I hate the irrational defense of him, particularly his mediocre and vastly overrated defense.  Run into a couple of walls and a guy is suddenly irreplaceable.

Anderson was killing AA pitching before injuring himself and his production tailed off immensely at the end of his time in Birmingham due to it.

What does Aaron Rowand give you that Brian Anderson cannot provide.  Please tell me.  If you're hanging your hat on Rowand to come anywhere close to that .905 OPS year I have some swamp land in Florida for sale...

Sorry, I was off by 5 points coming off the top of my head. And I should have made myself more clear...I was more or less referring to his first season starting.

I have no problem with Anderson at all...and I don't ever see Rowand putting up a .900+ OPS ever again in his career, unless he winds up in Colorado or Texas, much the same way I never see Podsednik puttng up a .380 OBP ever again. That doesn't mean there isn't some happy medium between the .750 OPS Rowand and the .900 OPS Rowand that puts up .825-850.

And I see no way in hell that Anderson puts up a .750 OPS in his first season. A guy can be putting up a 1.000 OPS in the minors, perhaps more, but there is still an adjustment period where they get used to MLB pitching where they will almost undoubtedly struggle. Having Anderson in role next year and perhaps another year or two after that even similar to that of Rowand from 01-03 would not bother me in the least. He's not an impact player at all, so having him as a 4th OFer that gets 70-100 games in at the MLB level would not hurt him in the least.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Sorry, I was off by 5 points coming off the top of my head.  And I should have made myself more clear...I was more or less referring to his first season starting. 

I have no problem with Anderson at all...and I don't ever see Rowand putting up a .900+ OPS ever again in his career, unless he winds up in Colorado or Texas, much the same way I never see Podsednik puttng up a .380 OBP ever again.  That doesn't mean there isn't some happy medium between the .750 OPS Rowand and the .900 OPS Rowand that puts up .825-850.

And I see no way in hell that Anderson puts up a .750 OPS in his first season.  A guy can be putting up a 1.000 OPS in the minors, perhaps more, but there is still an adjustment period where they get used to MLB pitching where they will almost undoubtedly struggle.  Having Anderson in role next year and perhaps another year or two after that even similar to that of Rowand from 01-03 would not bother me in the least.  He's not an impact player at all, so having him as a 4th OFer that gets 70-100 games in at the MLB level would not hurt him in the least.

IMO Aaron Rowand and a first-year Brian Anderson are equivalent offensively.

That being said, Anderson has far greater potential, is cheaper, and is the better move looking towards the future... If you're not losing anything in the order or defensively, I don't see how you can possibly NOT play him everyday...

Anderson puts up minimum of .275-20-75 numbers his first season hitting in the #7 hole... book it.

Edited by Randar68

If Rowand continues his 2004 output offensively, then Brian Anderson would be the better choice in CF. If he can produce at least to somewhat of a level of his 2003 but better than 2004, than Rowand would probably be the better choice for next season.

That said, if a team like the Yankees which could really use a good defensive CF came along with a good offer for Rowand, I'd take it, and let Anderson start in CF.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
If Rowand continues his 2004 output offensively, then Brian Anderson would be the better choice in CF. If he can produce at least to somewhat of a level of his 2003 but better than 2004, than Rowand would probably be the better choice for next season.

That said, if a team like the Yankees which could really use a good defensive CF came along with a good offer for Rowand, I'd take it, and let Anderson start in CF.

What's a good offer, though? What do they have to offer us?

Cano ain't going anywhere.

Would the Sox have interest in Giambi -- if, of course, they ate a whole lot of the contract?

I'm just throwing stuff out there right now. I agree that if a good offer comes along for Rowand, Kenny should bite. Even after this 'poor' season, his stock is still going to be pretty damn high.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
I think it's his routes and reads.

If we are going by what he did last week his routes/ reads suck. Prior to that? As good as anyone in the league.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)

That being said, Anderson has far greater potential, is cheaper, and is the better move looking towards the future...  If you're not losing anything in the order or defensively, I don't see how you can possibly NOT play him everyday...

Anderson puts up minimum of .275-20-75 numbers his first season hitting in the #7 hole... book it.

I will save this thread for whenever the time comes that anderson has a starting job in the majors period.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Would the Sox have interest in Giambi -- if, of course, they ate a whole lot of the contract?

Sox are anti steroids more than maybe any other team in baseball. That is why i did not understand the point of signing jeremy giambi.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
If we are going by what he did last week his routes/ reads suck. Prior to that? As good as anyone in the league.

I will save this thread for whenever the time comes that anderson has a starting job in the majors period.

Sox are anti steroids more than maybe any other team in baseball. That is why i did not understand the point of signing jeremy giambi.

He has the same agent as Frank Thomas. If I had to guess, that has something to do with it. It was a favor to Tellum.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
What's a good offer, though?  What do they have to offer us?

Cano ain't going anywhere.

I'm just throwing stuff out there right now.  I agree that if a good offer comes along for Rowand, Kenny should bite.  Even after this 'poor' season, his stock is still going to be pretty damn high.

Could make it a 3 way deal, but I'd be interested in Chen - Ming Wang.

That being said, Anderson has far greater potential, is cheaper, and is the better move looking towards the future...  If you're not losing anything in the order or defensively, I don't see how you can possibly NOT play him everyday...

Anderson will not get close to those numbers. First off, he'd have to be a full-time starter, something I doubt that he will be next year on a team that should be competitive. Most of the rookies that put up numbers like that are on horses*** teams. Second, only a handful of rookies get to 20 homers every year, and most of them don't have that many RBI or the batting average that you are suggesting. For instance, this year, only 3 qualifying rookies have hit 20 homers. One, Ryan Howard, is a much better prospect, has more experience, and fell short of the RBI totals. Another, Nick Swisher, hit only .232. The final is Johnny Gomes, who also fell short in the RBI department. All of these guys hit higher in the order than 7th and still couldn't get the RBI (Swisher might, but I digress). In the last 5 years, only 4 players have reached all of those criterion you listed in their rookie season. One, Albert Pujols, is arguably the best hitter in the league. Another, Jason Bay, is a rising star and IIRC was a better prospect. Eric Hinske and Jody Gerut appear to be first year flukes and have since fallen off the face of the earth. Only one of them played on a decent team. There are plenty of guys with Anderson's stature, minor league numbers, and more experience that couldn't reach those numbers, so your projections seem hoplessly optomistic. First, expecting the Sox to give him the starting spot outright seems a little foolish considering they should compete for the division again next year. Second, expecting a guy with 28 major league at bats to perform that well is even more hopeful. I'd be happy to make a ridiculous sig bet on this topic.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
There are plenty of guys with Anderson's stature, minor league numbers, and more experience that couldn't reach those numbers, so your projections seem hoplessly optomistic. First, expecting the Sox to give him the starting spot outright seems a little foolish considering they should compete for the division again next year. Second, expecting a guy with 28 major league at bats to perform that well is even more hopeful. I'd be happy to make a ridiculous sig bet on this topic.

My projections are not based on Anderson's numbers. They are based on his physical abilities, quick adjustments, and performance at an accelerated pace to-date.

How many RBI's do Uribe, Crede and Rowand have hitting out of the 7, 8 and 9 spots? What are their averages and power numbers???

Anderson will be starting in CF on opening day 2006, Rowand is replaced. I don't know what you call "playing full-time", but sure seems to fit the bill for me. When did Ryan Howard come up? Does he play in USCF why routine fly balls turn into HR's?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
My projections are not based on Anderson's numbers.  They are based on his physical abilities, quick adjustments, and performance at an accelerated pace to-date.

How many RBI's do Uribe, Crede and Rowand have hitting out of the 7, 8 and 9 spots?  What are their averages and power numbers???

Anderson will be starting in CF on opening day 2006, Rowand is replaced.  I don't know what you call "playing full-time", but sure seems to fit the bill for me.  When did Ryan Howard come up?  Does he play in USCF why routine fly balls turn into HR's?

None of those players on the Sox have 75 RBI, and only Uribe really has any chance. Right now none of them are hitting .275, only Rwoand is close. Crede is the only one with 20 homers. However, the bigger issue is that all of those guys have significant experience in the majors. I'd like to know what inside information you have that guarantees that Anderson will be starting in CF next season, cause I seriously doubt it.

Howard has 300 at bats thus far on the season, which puts him roughly half-way between Crede and Ozuna. He doesn't play in the Cell, but Citizens Bank Ballpark is one of the best hitter's parks in the league. Without the stats in front of me, I'd say it's comparable to the Cell. Regardless, Howard has considerably more power than Anderson and has been one of the best hitting prospects in baseball for several years. He would have probably been up at least last season if not for Thome. Comparing him to Anderson is pretty ridiculous.

Edit- US Cellular's park factor in homeruns is 1.20 this season, which makes it the 8th best park in the league for homeruns. Citizens Bank Park has a park factor of 1.134, which makes it the 10th best park in the league for homeruns.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Anderson's probably close to a .275 20 75 .800 20 player at his peak...I don't know where you are getting the notion that he'll put that up his first year.

The only thing he has going for him is the price tag, and Rowand isn't exactly breaking the bank. Anderson will probably not put up .250 as a rookie, nor is he better defensively.

And it's very easy to not play him everyday. Like I have said probably 3 or 4 times already on this thread, have him be the 4th OFer, get him a considerable amount of ABs, and do this for next year and perhaps 07, depending upon what happens with Young/Sweeney/Owens/Dye/Podsednik in the future. Perhaps he is starting by 07, perhaps 08, perhaps in the middle of 06, and perhaps he is traded...that's the point of having him be a 4th OFer while playing quite a bit everywhere - to see where he is actually at.

It's not like a rookie hitter has ever come up and just played out of his mind for a little bit, showing great talent and great things to come...except for that Crede guy that put up a .285 12 35 .826 in 200 ABs or so in '02. A short quick swing, very compact, and a very good looking hitter all around. 3 years later, he's still a .250 hitter, but atleast looking a little better.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-Sign:

• 1B Paul Konerko (4 year deal with option for fifth year)

• DH Frank Thomas (1 year deal, with option for second year)

• RP Cliff Politte (Option)

Sign:

• RP Billy Wagner (3 year deal)

• IN Tony Graffanino (2 year deal)

Trade:

• RP Demaso Marte, AA pitching prospect and a couple OF prospects to the Phillies for 1B/DH Jim Thome

Let go:

• OF Timo Perez

• OF Carl Everett

Call up:

• SP Brandon McCarthy

• OF Brian Anderson

25-MAN ROSTER:

Starting Pitchers -

LHP Mark Buehrle

RHP Jose Contreras

RHP Freddy Garcia

RHP Jon Garland

RHP Brandon McCarthy

Relief Pitchers -

Neal Cotts

Cliff Politte

Luis Vizcaino

Orlando Hernandez

Dustin Hermanson

Bobby Jenks

Billy Wagner

Catchers -

A.J. Pierzynski

Chris Widger

Infielders -

Paul Konerko

Tadahito Iguchi

Juan Uribe

Joe Crede

Jim Thome

Tony Graffanino

Outfielders -

Scott Podsednik

Aaron Rowand

Jermaine Dye

Brian Anderson

Designated Hitters -

Frank Thomas

--------------------------------

BATTING ORDER:

LF – Scott Podsednik

2B – Tadahito Iguchi

DH – Jim Thome/Frank Thomas

1B – Paul Konerko/Jim Thome

RF – Jermaine Dye

C – A.J. Pierzynski

CF – Aaron Rowand

3B – Joe Crede

SS – Juan Uribe

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Re-Sign:

• 1B Paul Konerko (4 year deal with option for fifth year)

• DH Frank Thomas (1 year deal, with option for second year)

• RP Cliff Politte (Option)

Sign:

• RP Billy Wagner (3 year deal)

• IN Tony Graffanino (2 year deal)

Trade:

• RP Demaso Marte, AA pitching prospect and a couple OF prospects to the Phillies for 1B/DH Jim Thome

Let go:

• OF Timo Perez

• OF Carl Everett

Call up:

• SP Brandon McCarthy

• OF Brian Anderson

25-MAN ROSTER:

Starting Pitchers -

LHP Mark Buehrle

RHP Jose Contreras

RHP Freddy Garcia

RHP Jon Garland

RHP Brandon McCarthy

Relief Pitchers -

Neal Cotts

Cliff Politte

Luis Vizcaino

Orlando Hernandez

Dustin Hermanson

Bobby Jenks

Billy Wagner

Catchers -

A.J. Pierzynski

Chris Widger

Infielders -

Paul Konerko

Tadahito Iguchi

Juan Uribe

Joe Crede

Jim Thome

Tony Graffanino

Outfielders -

Scott Podsednik

Aaron Rowand

Jermaine Dye

Brian Anderson

Designated Hitters -

Frank Thomas

--------------------------------

BATTING ORDER:

LF – Scott Podsednik

2B – Tadahito Iguchi

DH – Jim Thome/Frank Thomas

1B – Paul Konerko/Jim Thome

RF – Jermaine Dye

C – A.J. Pierzynski

CF – Aaron Rowand

3B – Joe Crede

SS – Juan Uribe

sure thing, just come up with the 50 mil its gonna take to sign PK, the 30 mil itll take to sign wagner, and the 43.5 mil still due to thome on his contract, the 5 mil thomas will command, and i think we might have a solid team! please, even the yankees dont spend like that in one offseason

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
sure thing, just come up with the 50 mil its gonna take to sign PK, the 30 mil itll take to sign wagner, and the 43.5 mil still due to thome on his contract, the 5 mil thomas will command, and i think we might have a solid team! please, even the yankees dont spend like that in one offseason

Your point is well taken, even though the Yankees have spent that much on a couple of occasions (got Giambi, Matsui, and I think Brown in the same year, and the A-Rod deal alone rivals the totals, much less adding Sheffield too). Wagner might not be feasible (although I doubt he gets $10 mil a year) or a direction they would go, but Thome is possible. A major factor in the Thome deal will be how much money the Phillies will eat on that contract. It will also depend on how desperate they are to get rid of him.

The only comparable deals that immediately come to mind are Kevin Brown to the Yankees and Sammy Sosa to the Orioles. Both deals involved slumping/hurt former superstars with burdensome contracts. I'm not going to discuss the first because the Yankees were willing to absorb all (or nearly all) of the money. The Sosa deal seems more relevant. The Cubs payed about $12 mil of his salary for this season, with Baltimore dealing with the rest and the buyout/options. In return, the Cubs got a borderline major league starter and some decent but not stellar prospects. Judging by Phily's payroll, something similar may happen. They've got other holes to fill, and his contract is a major impediment to them being able to sign players. Because of this, we may be able to get them to either accept much less than Thome's value in players or pay the first year of his deal in return for some better return. It seems like they could use Marte to fill in their bullpen since they'll lose at least one of Urbina and Wagner, and maybe use Hernandez as a starter. If we could do that and throw in a decent prospect, they financial burdens on us would be much less severe.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I used to have the Sox's salaries set up for 3 years, but lost the database (somewhere I have it in a post on SoxTalk).

The Sox are at $75 million this year. I think, with the playoffs, they will be turning a $5-$10 million profit this year - just a guess based on what I know about MLB revenue in general and Sox revenue in particular.

Let's assume that the Sox will raise the payroll by up to $10 million next year if (1) they go deep in the playoffs; and (2) they perceive offense as the one thing they lack and are willing to spend to get the additional bats.

Right now, the $75 million is broken down like this:

Paulie- $8.75

Frank- $8.0 million

Garcia - $8.0 million

Buehrle - $6.0 million

Contreras - $6.0 million (NYY pick up $2 of his $8 million)

Dye - $4.0 million

Everett - $4.0 million

El Duque - $3.5 million

Jon Garland - $3.4 million

Takatsu - $2.5 million

Iguchi - $2.3 million

AJ Pierzynski- $2.25 million

Juan Uribe - $2.15 million

Hermanson - $2.0 million

Rowand - $2.0 million

Vizcaino - $1.3 million

Marte - $1.25 million

Timo! - $1.0 million

Politte- $1.0 million

Podsednik- $0.7 million

All others are near the minimum.

Garcia and Dye will get $1 million raises for 2006, and I believe Buehrle gets a $2 million raise. Garland stands to get a $2-$3 million raise from arbitration and his 18-10 season. Other raises (including one to AJ) will cost the White Sox probably $5-6 million. So the current roster would probably go up $11-$12 million just naturally.

I'll assume Big Frank doesn't come back, saving $8 million (really $4.5, because there is a $3.5 m buyout). Everett won't be back at $4 million, and Takatsu's $2.5 million will be off the books. That amounts to $14.5 million if you don't include Frank's buy out.

Net net, that's a savings of $2.5-$3 million for 2006. That can go almost straight to Konerko to bump his salary to $10.5 million, as part of 4 yr/ $42 million deal, with $1 million left over.

Assuming this extra $1 million after resigning Paulie, and the $10 million expanded budget I assume, the Sox would have $11 million to play with in the offseason.

$11 million would probably buy the Sox one top-tier free agent. The Sox's offensive weaknesses are at DH, 3B, LF and CF (because of Aaron's down year), while they have average production from the SS, C, and RF position. Iguchi is above average at 2B and Konerko is well above average at 1B.

I'd like to see the Sox go after a Brian Giles-type player to play DH and spell Dye/Podsednik in the outfield, and be a true #3 hitter. Giles hit .301/.423/.483 playing half his games at Petco, the most pitcher-friendly park in either league. Giles made $8.3 million this year, and it wouldn't be crazy to offer him a 3-year, $25.5 million contract. The problem is that he is a So Cal native, and he'd be very difficult to pull out of California. You might have to over-pay him for a couple of years to get him to come.

The other option is trading for Jim Thome, who doesn't fit in Philadelphia any more because of Ryan Howard. Thome's owed a crapload of money, so the Sox might be able to get him on the cheap if they are willing to assume, say, $9 million of his contract per year. I think that Brian Anderson, Damaso Marte and a AA prospect probably does the trick. Thome's got a no-trade, so you'd have to convince him to come to Chicago. As a Peoria guy, that may not be out of the question.

Of course, the Sox still have to decide what they want to do with their 6-man rotation of Buehrle-Garland-Contreras-Garcia-El-Duque-McCarthy. Garland, Contreras and El Duque are all free agents after '06. I'd see who the Sox can sign to a 3-year deal among Contreras and Garland, and trade the other, who would likely get the Sox a fairly good hitter in return.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Who the heck had a .910 OPS first year?  That was Rowand's 4th season with the Sox and was a .905 OPS, which is WAY out of line with any of his past or since production...  Nobody has changed Rowand's role or asked him to do something he's physically not capable of, as Pods tried to do for the Brewers...

I don't hate Rowand at all, you can't hate the guy, he's all heart.  That said, I hate the irrational defense of him, particularly his mediocre and vastly overrated defense.  Run into a couple of walls and a guy is suddenly irreplaceable.

Anderson was killing AA pitching before injuring himself and his production tailed off immensely at the end of his time in Birmingham due to it.

What does Aaron Rowand give you that Brian Anderson cannot provide.  Please tell me.  If you're hanging your hat on Rowand to come anywhere close to that .905 OPS year I have some swamp land in Florida for sale...

You make a lot of good points, but I don't think Rowand's defense is overrated. He takes the best angles on balls hit to CF of anybody you watch in the game today. I truly believe he's earned his defensive reputation.

That said, I think Brian Anderson and Aaron Rowand are going to have essentially the same career trajectories. Hitting-wise, I don't think either of them are going to put up corner OF numbers. The value of both of them is in CF. Anderson I think will have better plate discipline and thus be a marginally better hitter, but it'll be close because Rowand's HBP (he had 21! this year, and consistently gets hit alot to up his OBP) will goose his OBP.

My guess is that Anderson is .270/.340/.440 long term while Rowand is .275/.335/.440 long term - almost indistinguishable at the plate. But I doubt either will ever be a corner OF for the Yankees or Red Sox.

Re-sign Konerko

Buy-out Franks deal, sign him to an incentive based 2 year deal

Sign AJ To extension

Sign Garland to extension

Sign BJ Ryan

Trade Rowand/ Marte / Duque/B anderson for Andruw Jones ;)

1 Pods

2 Gooch

3 Frank

4 Paul

5 Jones

6 Dye

7 AJ

8 Crede

9 Uribe

1 contreras

2 Buerhle

3 Garland