You're the GM: White Sox edition

Heads22

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LDF @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
name your 7 sp's. i would like to see them listed.

farnsworth - you may be right about that. i got carried away. bj is the man i want, no if and or buts about that. you can never have too many rp's.

my suggestion was and still is, i wouldn't be too sad to see any of those players gone. but in ref to cotts and cliff, i would be happy if they are still here. however packaging them for a nice trade wouldn't be a bad idea, if one is there.

While adding BJ would indeed be nice if you lose Cotts and Cliff also our bullpen has only gained 1 good pitcher and lost 2..... And 7 SP's.... Buehrle,Garland,Garcia,Contreras,B-Mac,El Duque, and in your plan Burnett......If El Duque isnt coming out of the pen for us he will be a starter for another team and prob be the backup starter for us if one of those 5 go down.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
We don't need Burnett.

We don't need another $10 million + contract, and we don't need a guy who doens't get along well with his teammates, that's for sure.

Let the Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers decide who wants to pay him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
We don't need another $10 million + contract, and we don't need a guy who doens't get along well with his teammates, that's for sure.

Let the Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers decide who wants to pay him.

We also don't need our most expensive starters being our worst starter.

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU TRADE ONE OF ARE STARTING PITCHERS? THATS WHAT GOT US SO FAR THIS YEAR!

Re-sign Konerko 2yrs

Sadly have to let Thomas go.

Fire Marte. Ozzie let him, go he sucks!

Trade Blum, Rowand, and with salary money from thomas and marte get Griffey Jr.

1. LF Scotty

2. 2B Gooch

3. CF Griffey

4. 1B Pauly

5. RF JD

6. C A.J

7. DH Everett

8. 3B Crede

9. SS Uribe

SP. Mark

SP. Garcia

SP. Jose

SP. Jonny

SP. Brandon

The Pin

Politte, Cotts, Luis, Herm, Hernandez CLOSER - Jenks

The Bench

Pablo Ozuna, Willie Harris , Timo Perez, Chris Widger

:gosox2:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
Many teams only carry 24 players and only make one player change in the offseason.

That lineup is marginally better than this year's one. I shudder at the thought of having Everett as the DH for a whole 'nother year.

And, when you factor in defense -- according to BP's RAA, which I believe is Runs Above Average -- has Rowand at something like 23 runs better than Griffey defensively (Rowand at a +7, Griffey at a -16). Another metric (UZR), IIRC, I thought I read had Griffey as the second worst CF'er in all of baseball (it might have been just the NL).

Pretty much, there's little to no improvement on that team.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
That lineup is marginally better than this year's one.  I shudder at the thought of having Everett as the DH for a whole 'nother year.

And, when you factor in defense -- according to BP's RAA, which I believe is Runs Above Average -- has Rowand at something like 23 runs better than Griffey defensively (Rowand at a +7, Griffey at a -16).  Another metric (UZR), IIRC, I thought I read had Griffey as the second worst CF'er in all of baseball (it might have been just the NL). 

It's going to be hard to improve a team that went to the world series, no? Anyways, your post went down hill once you mentioned BP. :P

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)

Ok, well, that team's payroll would be marginally higher than this year's and Pauly will never sign a 2-year deal and Griffey is not a FA, he would have to be traded for...

That being said, adding a LH'd .300-35-100 hitter to the #3 hole who would lead the team in OBP and OPS to what we already have in place of Rowand is not an improvement?

Wow, you've been listening to Hawk too much or you just forgot to take your meds... one or the other...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Ok, well, that team's payroll would be marginally higher than this year's and Pauly will never sign a 2-year deal and Griffey is not a FA, he would have to be traded for...

That being said, adding a LH'd .300-35-100 hitter to the #3 hole who would lead the team in OBP and OPS to what we already have in place of Rowand is not an improvement?

Wow, you've been listening to Hawk too much or you just forgot to take your meds... one or the other...

I laugh after all your posts keep them up :cheers

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)

Offensively, yes. Defensively, he's giving a heckuva lot of those runs right back. And, I don't care what metric you use, your eyes, stats, whatever -- Griffey is an awful fielder at this point in his career.

But yes, I agree with your main point (before, again, ya had to throw that slap in there) that a good LH hitter would do this offense a helluva lot of good.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Offensively, yes.  Defensively, he's giving a heckuva lot of those runs right back.  And, I don't care what metric you use, your eyes, stats, whatever -- Griffey is an awful fielder at this point in his career.

But yes, I agree with your main point (before, again, ya had to throw that slap in there) that a good LH hitter would do this offense a helluva lot of good.

He's giving those runs back when moving to one of the smallest CF's in the majors? Really? Not buying that one... he's giving back 20 HR's and 30+ RBI's and a .200 points of OPS?

If you want to argue durability, have at it, but that other argument holds as much water as a seive...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
He's giving those runs back when moving to one of the smallest CF's in the majors?  Really?  Not buying that one...  he's giving back 20 HR's and 30+ RBI's and a .200 points of OPS?

If you want to argue durability, have at it, but that other argument holds as much water as a seive...

No, not most of them -- but he gives back a good portion of them, regardless of it being a small OF. I still don't like Griffey for this team, because he makes us worse defensively, and this team doesn't need an aging, injury prone, and very pricey player.

If you want a left handed bat, give Brian Giles his money. Or, make a play for Adam Dunn or Chad Tracy.

A guy at Beyond the Box Score gave his thoughts on what he'd do this off-season... I'm in half agreement.

A World Series win will show how smart Kenny Williams is. If I was running the White Sox the first thing I would do is trade Jon Garland if a semi-attractive offer comes up. On the luck scale this season Garland's final numbers scored a solid 7, right between Shaq making a free throw and Neifi Perez hitting .300.

Garland will have an ERA around 4.5 next season. His value will never be higher than it is right now. You could probably get Adam Dunn for him. I would then move Brandon McCarthy into the rotation.

Williams should make that trade and let Konerko go. Konerko has looked great this year, but aging first baseman should be handled with care. Konerko has an injury history so committing a lot of money that will run until he's 35 or 36 is a dumb move. Just look at the Phillies with Jim Thome. I'm not saying you let him go no matter what, but if the Tigers and Orioles enter the bidding get out.

I'd take Konerko's money and throw it at Giles. I know most of you would be worried about his power production. I'm not, more on that at a later date.

I know Giles loves San Diego, but what will his reaction be when his agent calls him and tells him this;

"Brian the World Series Champion White Sox want to pay you more than the barely .500 Padres. Are you interested?"

Giles will jump at this chance, no matter how much he likes the West Coast.

More likely Williams will bring back everybody--with the exception of El Duque or Contreras--whether they win it all or not because they are the feel good story of the year; a team full of old school players led by AJ Pierzynski, the man with the biggest heart of them all.

Excuse me while I stick a pencil in my eye.

Once the World series is done, we'll all know who could be moved and who won't. Already, guys like Uribe and Crede have cemented their spots for the next few yrs.

No way do the sox go after Furcal. Juan's defense and adjustments at the plate will keep him around. With Robert Valido in AA in '06, he's not far off from even being a back up in case of an injury.

That's very true. But the sox certainly could use a SP in AAA who could fill in, in case someone goes down to injury next yr. Trading Marte probably could net the sox a very good SP prospect.

We don't need another starting pitcher in AAA for next season.

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

McCarthy

With El Duque as our longman out of the pen who could spot start if needed. I agree on trading Marte though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
A guy at Beyond the Box Score gave his thoughts on what he'd do this off-season...  I'm in half agreement.

If we can get Dunn straight-up for Garland, I make that deal without a second thought.

-Let PK walk.

-Trade Garland for Dunn.

-Outbid everyone for Giles.

-Sign Daisuke Matsuzaka (let me dream).

Lineup:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Giles

Dunn

Dye

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

Rotation:

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Matsuzaka

McCarthy

:)

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
No way. Our pitching is finally solved for about 4 more years at least and people want to start trading that away? Let's try to keep the pitching and defense intact or upgrade it, but in no way am I giving it up for a guy who's overrated among many parts. And I'm a Reds fan.

Is he really overrated? He's only 25 years old and coming off back-to-back 40 HR, 100 RBI, 100 BB seasons. Besides praise from myself and a few other posters on this site who really like him, you don't hear about him all that much.

Plus I'd be okay with just sliding McCarthy into Garland's slot, and leaving El Duque as the 5th starter. My one exception would be that Duque should NOT make his start if there is a day of rest and foregoing the 5th starter means all the other pitchers have regular five days of rest. But signing Matsuzaka would be even better. :lol: