You're the GM: White Sox edition

Heads22

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Igawa, he is a year older, lefty with a decieving motion much like cotts. He will either be posted this season or will be a free agent in 2007.

Yeah well you hear about the best three as being Matsuzaka, Igawa, and Uehara. All want to come stateside. I know it would cost a s*** load to bring Matsuzaka here, but they are ruining his arm in Japan. Have you seen the video of his gyroball?

Edited by 3E8

I don't see trading Garland as a good move, even if we get Dunn. How can this guy assume that Garland is going to have an ERA of 4.50? He's going to go up a full run? It might go up but I doubt it goes up that much. As long as he doesn't go back to walking so many guys (cut his walks virtually in half this year) he's not going to get shelled again. If we lose Garland, we go back to having durability/inexperience issues in the back end of our rotation. Plus if Contreras goes back to being a flake again, our rotation would be seriously screwed. It'd be pretty hard to replace Garland, and it'd be very expensive. It'd certainly be nice to have Dunn in the lineup, but that's a pretty high cost. If it were Teixeira that'd be another story, but I don't think that trade would make us significantly better.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Teixeira

HR/AB = .06677

2B/AB = .06366

K/BB = 1.72

Dunn

HR/AB = .07366

2B/AB = .06446

K/BB = 1.47

I'm not going to argue that Dunn is more valuable than Teixeira, he's not. But he's not as far off as you may think. I'd rather have either one over Garland, even if he has another year as good as '05.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Teixeira

HR/AB = .06677

2B/AB = .06366

K/BB = 1.72

Dunn

HR/AB = .07366

2B/AB = .06446

K/BB = 1.47

I'm not going to argue that Dunn is more valuable than Teixeira, he's not.  But he's not as far off as you may think.  I'd rather have either one over Garland, even if he has another year as good as '05.

There's quite a difference in BA and RBI however, and you can't blame all of the RBI descrepancy on the lineup. Frankly if my choice is to insert Dunn in our lineup with McCarthy and Hernandez as my 4/5 starters or acquire a different option for the #3 hole with Garland and B-Mac as my 4/5 starters, I'm going to go with the latter. I wouldn't mess with the rotation unless I had to.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Teixeira

HR/AB = .06677

2B/AB = .06366

K/BB = 1.72

Dunn

HR/AB = .07366

2B/AB = .06446

K/BB = 1.47

I'm not going to argue that Dunn is more valuable than Teixeira, he's not.  But he's not as far off as you may think.  I'd rather have either one over Garland, even if he has another year as good as '05.

Not too mention Teixeira's home/road splits are not impressive.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
There's quite a difference in BA and RBI however, and you can't blame all of the RBI descrepancy on the lineup. Frankly if my choice is to insert Dunn in our lineup with McCarthy and Hernandez as my 4/5 starters or acquire a different option for the #3 hole with Garland and B-Mac as my 4/5 starters, I'm going to go with the latter. I wouldn't mess with the rotation unless I had to.

Tex did have over 30 more at-bats with runners in scoring position than Dunn did. But like I said before, Tex is the better hitter.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Neither are Dunn's. He hit over 50 points higher at home, and 26 of his 40 homers came at Great American Ballpark.

Looking at percentages, they were quite similar in this regard.

- Dunn hit 65% of his HR's at home, Tex his 70% of his HR's at home.

- Dunn has a 19.3% dropoff in batting average going from home to road, Tex has a 19.2% dropoff in batting average going from home to road.

Maybe Cincy signals the pitch with lights from centerfield too?

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
We don't need another starting pitcher in AAA for next season.

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

McCarthy

With El Duque as our longman out of the pen who could spot start if needed.  I agree on trading Marte though.

The sox don't have a young SP who could take over in the rotation should someone get hurt. [i already consider El Duque as just a bullpen guy--maybe get like 10 starts if someone goes down, and consdier BMac the 5th SP]. If they can get one for Marte, great. If not, I'd consider a Brian Anderson trade as he's ready and isn't going to take over for Pods or Arow. But with the OF and IF pretty set, stocking young arms couldn't hurt. With the bullpen stocked, getting SP's in AAA and AA who could pitch in the next yr would be ideal

The sox have won based on their pitching. Getting arms [not via free agency but via the farm system] is the way to keep up the winning long term