You're the GM: White Sox edition

Heads22

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
I'm actually of the opinion that he could put up a .290/.335/.500 season next year - it'll be his 28 year old season, and he's bound to peak somewhere.  I just hope the Sox are not fooled by it and move on to the next 3B option when he's up for free agency (2008, I believe). 

If Crede put up a line like that I'm almost certain he'd get a 3/4 year deal.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
If Crede put up a line like that I'm almost certain he'd get a 3/4 year deal.

See my post on the matter...

If he just finds a way to turn:

May: .155/.211/.286

Aug: .103/.148/.172

Into:

May: .250/.300/.450

Aug: .250/.300/..450

He'd have hit almost .290 with an OPS in the .875 range! The guy hit over .275 in every month other than those 2 and over .300 in all but one of those months!

Ok, enough of the Kool-aid, but I think he get's one more year to see if he can put up a little more consistency and solidify his position as our 3rd baseman for the next few years...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
I think your expectations for Crede are a bit high at this point, but I could definitely see .270/.330/.500

Just for comparison, here are his 2004 splits...

2003 splits:

It's not the high of the highs as much as the low of the lows...  You need to find a way to mitigate the damage when you're scuffling...

I see (1) good month in 2003, (2) good months in 2004, and (4) good months in 2005. That's improvement. I think if he can get to (5) good months in 2006, he puts up the aforementioned .280/.335/.500 line for the season, as long as the other month isn't him hitting like Jose Contreras.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
And it should continue. I really dont see the Sox this year, like after opening day, having crowds up 11,000. I just cant see that.

Win,and they will come.

You mean, like this one? (That was after a 99-win Sox team went to the ALCS, and the Cubs were still 7th out of 12 in the NL in attendance. P.S. The Sox outdrew the Cubs 2-1 in 1981...look it up).

I think that the early night games in April will simply tell us what the new Sox season ticket base is. Those April night games against Kansas City should really tell the story.

I doubt there will be as many changes as most people expect. Most of the money will be spent on re-signing their own players--PK, AJ, Garland, maybe Contreras.

Marte should be gone. The sox should then add a Ron Villone or Scott Eyre LH reliever. Other than that, the sox pen is set w/ Jenks and a healthy Hermanson

The biggest move should be to add a #3 hitter. I'm thinking Lyle Overbay [the sox need a LH hitter who can get on base, and hit close to .300] who can DH most of the time and give PK a few days off at 1B and late in games. [that would probably mean moving either Anderson or Young, and a guy like Sean Tracey] I love Frank. But w/ his health concerns, the sox need stability for next yr rather than hope he heals and have someone to take over for him. I don't see him back.

The rotation should stay the same, w/ Bmac taking over for EL Duque. If Duque can handle a bullpen role fine. If not, the yanks will take him. but he won't be in the rotation for the sox.

I'm a little concerned about a leadoff hitter, esp if Pods goes down. But the money Furcal will likely ask for and get, i'm not sure if he's worth it. Though if his glove and attitude could fit in w/ the sox style of play and he could fit in the clubhouse, his speed and top of the order skills would be worth it.

Though Uribe has found some consistency with the bat since he's added his little leg kick, I think his 2004 yr was more of an aberration. His .329 OBP being the high mark and shouldn't get much higher. Realistically, leadoff hitters could be found only in Uribe's or Rowand's spots. If the sox could get a top AAA SP prospect who could fill in the rotation should a sox arm go down for Uribe, Furcal's $10 mill a yr for 4 yrs, could fit, I'd make a deal.

Aaron had a down yr at the plate. But is a good candidate to bounce back. Esp. after he played in 157 games this yr, after playing in 140 in 2004. He seemed to be dragging at the end of the yr. A full yr being the starter should help him get used to the grind and get closer to the .310 he hit in 2004. Seeing how Aaron can play all 3 OF spots, should an injury occur to Pods or Dye, and he had to move, he's too versatile and is the face of "grinder" baseball to trade

Crede stays. But no long term deal just yet.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
I doubt there will be as many changes as most people expect. Most of the money will be spent on re-signing their own players--PK, AJ, Garland, maybe Contreras.

Marte should be gone. The sox should then add a Ron Villone or Scott Eyre LH reliever. Other than that, the sox pen is set w/ Jenks and a healthy Hermanson

The biggest move should be to add a #3 hitter. I'm thinking Lyle Overbay [the sox need a LH hitter who can get on base, and hit close to .300] who can DH most of the time and give PK a few days off at 1B and late in games. [that would probably mean moving either Anderson or Young, and a guy like Sean Tracey] I love Frank. But w/ his health concerns, the sox need stability for next yr rather than hope he heals and have someone to take over for him. I don't see him back.

The rotation should stay the same, w/ Bmac taking over for EL Duque. If Duque can handle a bullpen role fine. If not, the yanks will take him. but he won't be in the rotation for the sox.

I'm a little concerned about a leadoff hitter, esp if Pods goes down. But the money Furcal will likely ask for and get, i'm not sure if he's worth it. Though if his glove and attitude could fit in w/ the sox style of play and he could fit in the clubhouse, his speed and top of the order skills would be worth it.

Though Uribe has found some consistency with the bat since he's added his little leg kick, I think his 2004 yr was more of an aberration. His .329 OBP being the high mark and shouldn't get much higher. Realistically, leadoff hitters could be found only in Uribe's or Rowand's spots. If the sox could get a top AAA SP prospect who could fill in the rotation should a sox arm go down for Uribe, Furcal's $10 mill a yr for 4 yrs, could fit, I'd make a deal.

Aaron had a down yr at the plate. But is a good candidate to bounce back. Esp. after he played in 157 games this yr, after playing in 140 in 2004. He seemed to be dragging at the end of the yr. A full yr being the starter should help him get used to the grind and get closer to the .310 he hit in 2004. Seeing how Aaron can play all 3 OF spots, should an injury occur to Pods or Dye, and he had to move, he's too versatile and is the face of "grinder" baseball to trade

Crede stays. But no long term deal just yet.

I agree with almost all of the things you said but on top of resigning our guys I think we should really go after home-town favorite JIM THOME as our #3 hitter from the left side and let Carl go... but besides that picking up a vetern utility infielder like a Tony Graffanino or acquiring another reliever would be good

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
I agree with almost all of the things you said but on top of resigning our guys I think we should really go after home-town favorite JIM THOME as our #3 hitter from the left side and let Carl go... but besides that picking up a vetern utility infielder like a Tony Graffanino or acquiring another reliever would be good

The sox couldn't afford re-signing all their guys, get Furcal and get Thome. He's far too expensive and as big a health risk as Frank. the sox need some guy who won't go on the DL after a week. The best bet is to trade to get a #3 hitter, someone who's cheap and hits left handed. The Brewers would trade with the Sox, and Overbay has to be dealt. Other names like Chad Tracy and Aubrey Huff could work. Guys who also play other positions to rotate people in and out of the DH spot to give guys some rest.

Since this seems to be "Hot Stove" thread for the time being, and since most of us have a woody for Brian Giles, I thought I'd post this:

Padres left fielder Brian Giles plans to file for free agency, according to his agent, Joe Bick, but the two sides apparently have made progress on a long-term deal.

Giles, 34, would be one of the most attractive hitters available if he hit the open market. Bick, who met with Padres general manager Kevin Towers in San Diego during the final week of the season, says the difference between the sides is "significant" but "not vast."

"His preference is to stay there, if the money is right, if they intend to be a competitive team," Bick says.

As a free agent, Giles would be certain to draw interest from the Cubs and probably the Cardinals, who will be looking to replace right fielder Larry Walker.

It is doubtful he would join his younger brother Marcus in Atlanta, given the Braves' financial constraints and their surplus of young corner outfielders.

Rosenthal Article

I'd feel good about our chances of signing him if the main competition was the Cardinals or Cubs.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Since this seems to be "Hot Stove" thread for the time being, and since most of us have a woody for Brian Giles, I thought I'd post this:

Rosenthal Article

I'd feel good about our chances of signing him if the main competition was the Cardinals or Cubs.

ANOTHER OFer? What for?

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)

Rosenthal Article

If it's between the Sox and Cubs/Cardinals, I don't like our chances at all. Giles knows the NL pitching a hell of a lot better now than he does the AL, and both of those teams are likely to have a lot of money to spend. Giles likely doesn't want to be brought over to DH.

Question, of the guys the Sox have....who do you think they would have to trade to pry Brandon Wood away from the Angels? Shortstop prospects like that are few and far between. The Angels have OC for another 3 years (at $24 million), and may be willing to part with him.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Question, of the guys the Sox have....who do you think they would have to trade to pry Brandon Wood away from the Angels?  Shortstop prospects like that are few and far between.  The Angels have OC for another 3 years (at $24 million), and may be willing to part with him.

The 20 year old who hit over 40 homers in high A? Don't think he's going anywhere.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
With 50+ doubles.

He hit 4 HR in a game the other day in the AFL. He has 9 HR in 9 games out there.

Someone complete this sentence for me.

Brandon Wood is the best hitting middle infield prospect since _________.

(a) BJ Upton

(B) A-Rod

© Dude, he looks better than A-Rod

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Someone complete this sentence for me.

Brandon Wood is the best hitting middle infield prospect since  _________.

(a)  BJ Upton

(B)  A-Rod

©  Dude, he looks better than A-Rod

hell i should throw in my 2 cents worth.

resign pk

sign - fucral young ss, make uribe trade bait.

sign - b j ryan (you could never have enuf pitching esp from rp.

if bj doesn't sign go after farnsworth.

sign aj burnett if the price is right.

ok, i am not too sure on of'ers on if we really need one.

trade or bye bye

viz, marte, cotts, adkins, timo, and/or cliff.

i am really not too sure what to do with big frank

QUOTE(LDF @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)

resign pk

trade or bye bye

So you want us to have 7 starters and than possibly sign a guy that clearly crumbles under pressure in Farnsworth. And why trade Cliff or Cotts who we both have next year and been 2 of the better RP's this season for us.

QUOTE(LDF @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)

resign pk

trade or bye bye

AJ Burnett wouldn't even be able to make our starting rotation next year.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Question, of the guys the Sox have....who do you think they would have to trade to pry Brandon Wood away from the Angels?  Shortstop prospects like that are few and far between.  The Angels have OC for another 3 years (at $24 million), and may be willing to part with him.

If he is that good, he will be playing 2b or 3b when he comes up, or Cabrera will be sent packing.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
So you want us to have 7 starters and than possibly sign a guy that clearly crumbles under pressure in Farnsworth.  And why trade Cliff or Cotts who we both have next year and been 2 of the better RP's this season for us.

name your 7 sp's. i would like to see them listed.

farnsworth - you may be right about that. i got carried away. bj is the man i want, no if and or buts about that. you can never have too many rp's.

my suggestion was and still is, i wouldn't be too sad to see any of those players gone. but in ref to cotts and cliff, i would be happy if they are still here. however packaging them for a nice trade wouldn't be a bad idea, if one is there.