New Focus

GreatScott82

You figure the Indians don't lose. And they average like 7 runs/game in the month of september. So even if Cleveland does take the central- we still have a good chance at the playoffs. I am now focusing on that wild-card spot. We are up 3 games over the Red Sox. And the Magic # for clinching that is only 6. If we go 6-4 the rest of the way Boston would have to go 9-1 to tie us. Bostons remaining schedule looks like this:

3 @ Baltamore

4 vs Toronto

3 vs Yankees

Its highly unlikely for the Red Sox to win 9 out of 10 games with that schedule. In face they are struggling alittle bit also.

So here is some hope for those of you hanging off the cliff. And NOBODY FEAR MY BOY Jose Contreras the 'losing streak' stopper is here!!!!!

How about a winning streak? I could go for a good 4-5 game winning streak. Lets start one tonite.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Pathetic, lets worry about regrouping and winning the AL Central!!!  Last I saw WE were in 1st place!!!

How many times have you seen the sprinter horse in a race hold on to beat the finishing horse? The confidence level between the Sox and Indians couldn't be more opposite right now. Our best bet is to win the Wild Card. We just have to hope that the Red Sox and Yankees lose about 3 games prior to the last series of the year.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think anyone think's we can go 6-4 down the stretch. But I'm with ya buddy. Just hated seeing your thread looking so lonely.

3 more games with an offensively dead Minnesota team, a 4 gamer in Detroit, and 3 in Cleveland...take 2 of the last 3 with Minnesota, or perhaps even all 3, and then 3 of 4 from Detroit and your Wild Card is clinched. I honestly see no reason that can't happen, even with the Sox playing with their heads in their asses and Ozzie managing a lineup worse than JM.

Take 2 of 3 from Cleveland, and you got a potential division winner.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think anyone think's we can go 6-4 down the stretch. But I'm with ya buddy. Just hated seeing your thread looking so lonely.

It's not going to take 6-4.

Win 5 of the next 7 against the Twins (who are are 20-33 in the second half in games not started by Johan) and Tigers (who are are 25-41 in the second half) and the Sox will have 96 wins. -- 96 wins will make the playoffs.

If the Sox can't take at least 4 of the 7 remaining against the AL's second-half whipping boys, which would still mean the division and Wild Card were in play on the final weekend, then they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

I think this will play out as a return to the 1950's where the top 4 teams battling it out were NY, Boston, Cleveland, and the Sox. Luckily, then only one of the teams made the postseason, whereas now only one team doesn't. Dang, I hope it isn't the Sox who don't :pray. Heck, the way this team is going, the last three against Cleveland won't mean anything - and for the wrong reason :ph34r:

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
How many times have you seen the sprinter horse in a race hold on to beat the finishing horse?  The confidence level between the Sox and Indians couldn't be more opposite right now.  Our best bet is to win the Wild Card.  We just have to hope that the Red Sox and Yankees lose about 3 games prior to the last series of the year.

Well then Im the only one who thinks we can win the AL Central still!!!

Our best bet is the AL Central, screw the Wild Card

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
wild card is negative thinking division title all the way

Why?

What's the difference if we get in via the Wildcard, or if we get in via the division title?

As Vince from Exile in Wrigleyville said, division titles make nice flags and nice t-shirts; heck, even cool hats, but they sure as heck don't mean a damn thing.

ESPECIALLY for the Sox. We aren't like Boston, where there's a severe difference in how they play at home compared to the road. FWIW, we have seven less losses on the road, and two more wins.

If we hang on and make the playoffs, playing at The Cell isn't going to help us a whole lot (IMO). I think most of our pitchers throw better on the road anyways, and the only way we have any chance whatsoever of winning ANY round is to have the pitchers carry us.

Like I said -- Wildcard or Division Title, just get there.

Boston can only win 98 games. If they do that. They win the division. If they do that New York can only win 96 games.

New York can only win 99 games. If they do that, Boston can only win 95.

Only one of those two teams can win more than 97 games.

The White Sox have 92 wins. Five more wins guarantees them at least a one game playoff.