Make El Duque the Closer

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I like it.  The only thing that scares me about this idea is Duque seems to have Freddy Garcia-syndrome sometimes.  He'll give up runs when he first comes in, and then he'll settle down.

I don't know if it's because he's not really totally loose and warmed up or because the game isn't close and intense at the beginning. But take this for what it's worth:

Pitches 1-15 = 11.93 ERA

Pitches 16-30 = 8.82 ERA

This is not a good idea. We can't just be throwing guys into that role. It's not easy to be a closer and you have to have a special mentality for that role. Duque should be used only in blow out games right now. The reason for Jenks' trouble has been the curveball. He's not locating it and is not having the confidence to throw it so they just sit on his fastball. Add to that Rowand has misjudged the ball twice this week with him on the mound. Even with his recent struggles with the curveball, I'd rather have Jenks be a one pitch pitcher and still be a closer instead of calling Hernandez in.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
El Duque's numbers in inning #1:

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

Inning 1 87 21 26 3 1 8 20 8 3 17 7 1 .299 .370 .632 1.002

I think you have to throw that out the window and consider what he can do in a clutch situation. We need a closer. Bad!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
This is the official "pass the crackpipe" thread of soxtalk.

(No offense to the topic starter)

no offense taken :P

I raise the idea only because we've blown so many leads in the late innings recently. We don't have a reliable closer. Today Guillen suggested that Cotts might get a chance. Give me the duke over Cotts anyday.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
no offense taken  :P

I raise the idea only because we've blown so many leads in the late innings recently. We don't have a reliable closer. Today Guillen suggested that Cotts might get a chance. Give me the duke over Cotts anyday.

No need to defend yourself, Kid. Actually, this sort of thread was kinda refreshing. It was almost a look back to the post-season threads instead of the doom and gloom we have been reading lately.

It's a good baseball talk.

Here is the problem with it. His control dictates how he does and he also throws a ton of pitches. The big difference between closing and starting is that you have a lot more room for error. For example he can afford to give up 2 runs in the 1st inning if he is starting and still be all right. You can't do that as a closer. Also he usually pitches better around 30 pitches. That's when he gets into his rhythm. As a closer you don't have 30 pitches unless it's a 2 inning save. This is exactly why i tell anybody who says Kerry Wood would be a great closer is wrong. I do think El Duque has the mental makeup to close.

I say screw it and let Hermy do the job the rest of the way. He has earned his wings. I know his back has been giving him problems but did one hell of a job shutting Cleveland down in the 11th inning on tuesday. You never know what you get with Jenks. Yeah he throws flames, but he gives up A LOT of bloop singles and he is starting to walk batters now. I like Jenks in the 7th and 8th, but thats it. If Hermy can't do it anymore because of his back- than i would give it to Pollite. He is by far our must under-rated reliever.