Konerko talks about Contract Situation

DBAHO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
The Rangers wouldn't even make that trade, it's not fair value. The 2 least reliable guys out of our pen, a 52 year old inconsitent pitcher and a 28 year old AAA reliever will not land a talent like Blalock.

I know :P

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
i dont think crede is going anywhere. this organization is in love with crede *dont ask me why* but ever since he came back from the DL hes been playing good and thats a good enough reason for the Kenny Williams to keep him.

In the current state of baseball economics, defense is cheaper than offense. The team loves getting someone who is very good at something for cheap. Stolen bases are cheaper than average.

Sox management's new philosphy is to dump big salaries such as Maggs and CLee in order to free up more money for good but less pricey players. However that philosophy is only good if you have sumone like Pk to fall back on. We need at least one guy capable of hitting 40 Hr's and that guy is PK. Sign him before the season ends. Resigning him now will be a positive in the midst of the whirlwind we are in now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 04:57 AM)
Interesting Statement here;

The Red Sox and Angels look to be the 2 teams most interested in him.

If the Sox are going to compete next year, Konerko needs to be resigned. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he will be one of the key's to the off-season. The Sox can not afford to let him walk.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:33 AM)
If I'm Konerko and I get even the same money that the Sox would offer elsewhere, I'd walk.  It has been a very frustrating past 5 years for the Sox, year after year having a shot at making it and falling short. I don't see the '06 Sox as a playoff team. Even if we make the playoffs this year and do well, I'd understand if he walked.

There are quite a few teams that would like to be in that position. Not many teams are in contention year in year out. The Sox have done just that. In fact, I gotta be honest, the Sox organization has some similarities to the Angels organization before it won the series.

They had the same solid nucleus around for a couple years, always having big expectations but never having things pan out. They finally added Appier and Sele in the offseason, giving them some solid pitchers (or so they thought) and found a way to get in the playoffs and went from there.

Ever since than there entire organizaiton has changed. My point is, as long as you can compete and are in the races, you have a chance each and every year to do something special.

Detroit, KC, probably 20 teams in the majors would love to be in the position the Sox have been the past couple years.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
I swear, between Ozzie, Buehrle and Konerko...

There must be someone in the Sox dugout that STFU and just plays the games...right?

Imagine how nice the sports pages, tv shows, and radio shows would be if the particpants never talked, or if they did, it was always to say how great everything is going. Marriotti wouldn't have a job. You can't write about a team unless you are a die hard fan, like Gammy and the Red Sox.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Detroit, KC, probably 20 teams in the majors would love to be in the position the Sox have been the past couple years.

Well, the reason I have any faith whatsoever in this team competing in the next couple years is because we have five average or better starters. Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Contreras/Mac will compete to be one of the best in baseball next year.

Of course, there's also going to be a lot of other good staffs out there, too. Minnesota's has a chance to be dominant as well -- Santana/Radke/Silva/Baker/Liriano.

W/r/t Konerko, I'd offer him a two year deal at increased money -- two years, $25 million maybe?

The Sox should get something from Konerko, beit his production next year via a contract extension/one year arbitration deal, or the two high draft picks.