Sox v. Twins Official Game Thread 9/24/05

bjm676

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Phil Nevin

Shea Hillenbrand

Dmitri Young

Derrek Lee

Jeff Bagwell (Team Option)

Darin Erstad

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

David Ortiz (Team Option)

Craig Wilson

Nick Johnson

Aubrey Huff

All FA after next season. All 1st basemen.

Nevin: are you joking?

Hillenbrand: no where near the production of Konerko

Young: Mentioned twice on this list, he isnt going anywhere

Lee: Im almost certain he'll be resigned, and if not, his FA price will be more than $18 a year..

Bgwell: not moving

Erstad: Maybe... if we werent replacing a 40 HR a year player

Ortiz: DH, but isnt going anywhere

Wilson: Not good enough to replace 40 HR a year..

Johnson: Injury prone DH

Huff: Not in the same offensive catergory as Konerko, although Huff is able to drive in runs

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
If he can show he's still somewhat healthy, i think there may be a few biters out there

Do you really think any team will believe he's healthy? He's proven over the last few years he can only make a certain amount of starts before breaking down. It's not like he's on the last year of a one million dollar deal. He's scheduled to make like 5 mil next year, I thought.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Felix...Hank's had a bad season, yet you don't think he can improve next year?  I see in another thread that you mention Rowand will be back to form next year?  Blalock is a much more dangerous hitter than Rowand at a position that we're definitely lacking a big time hitter.  I'd rather have Dunn though.

Blalocks away numbers in the last 3 years:

.242/.306/.426/.732 with 28 HR and 91 RBI in 669 AB

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
Lee: Im almost certain he'll be resigned, and if not, his FA price will be more than $18 a year..

Where do you get this stuff? There are 6 guys in all of baseball who make $18 million or more. Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter (so overpaid its not even funny), A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Roger Clemens. I fail to see how teams are going to pay guys like Derrek Lee who has had one great year and Paul Konerko who is a very good hitter but hardly a great hitter $18 million a year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Felix.....no player is going to get 18 million now.  If there was one player who would, it was going to be Beltran.

Im not saying we should offer him 18 million off the bat, but if LAAAAAA does offer $15/5, then yea, I would go $18m.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Where do you get this stuff?  There are 6 guys in all of baseball who make $18 million or more.  Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter (so overpaid its not even funny), A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Roger Clemens.  I fail to see how teams are going to pay guys like Derrek Lee who has had one great year and Paul Konerko who is a very good hitter but hardly a great hitter $18 million a year.

Not saying it's valid, but Lee almost won the triple crown this year. And he's young.

I'm sure there are some teams willing to overpay for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Because he's still a damn good hitter at home.  His defense is solid, and he gives us a lefty threat that we've been lacking for a while.

His home is TBIA (The Ballpark in Arlington). Everyone is good there.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
His home is TBIA (The Ballpark in Arlington).  Everyone is good there.

It's not like the Sox play in a pitcher's park. And as for Thome, I've heard the Phillies will pick up between 33 and 50 pct of his deal. You'd have to make sure he's healthy though.