Magglio and CLee...do we really miss them??

captain54

How different would the Sox situation be if Clee and Magglio were here instead of Podsenick and Dye??

There is no question CLee's offense is sorely missed now.....

Magglio was hurt the first few months of the season, but the last couple months Podsednick's hurt and a non-factor, so that' kind of a wash to me....Right now, you might as well put TPerez, Ozuna, or even Willie Harris in leadoff spot..I don't see where it's going to make much difference....

Despite all the talk of small ball, I believe it was really the pitching staff that carried the Sox the first half...

Going into this season, it was clearly a case of spending on pitching vs offense....

But what if JR decided to go for it and spend for both???? where would we be now??

Regardless of what happens this season, it will be interesting to see how Kw and JR figure out where to go to get some offense for next year.....if they miss the playoffs, the drop in season ticket sales might mean more Borchard, Anderson, and maybe another mid level player to replace Carl Everett.....I find it unlikely that Big Hurt will be back next year....

Maggs was anything but clutch. Sure, he got his hits and rbi, but I have seen way too many strikeouts or weak-ass grounders with runners on in crutial situations for my liking. Kinda like Paulie this year. If that slowpoke could hit at all with runners on, he SHOULD have about 150 rbi this year. Dye is OK, a healthy Maggs would be slightly better, but with Maggs, you don't have other people on the team. Glad he is gone. I sorta miss Lee, but I think Pods will help us once we get to the playoffs, more than Lee would.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Of course we miss their offense.  There's no one who thinks the offense is better without them.  However, we needed to free up money to fill a lot of holes, and that's what was done.  KW had a terrific offseason last year, and I'm eagerly anticipating this coming offseason also.

The need to tear down to fill holes is what seperates the have from the have nots. As soon as a player emerges as an all-star and will earn all-star dollars, he gawn, and the suck cycle continues. Soon we will be tearing down the starting staff to fill holes in offense.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Maggs was anything but clutch.  Sure, he got his hits and rbi, but I have seen way too many strikeouts or weak-ass grounders with runners on in crutial situations for my liking.  Kinda like Paulie this year.  If that slowpoke could hit at all with runners on, he SHOULD have about 150 rbi this year.  Dye is OK, a healthy Maggs would be slightly better, but with Maggs, you don't have other people on the team.  Glad he is gone.  I sorta miss Lee, but I think Pods will help us once we get to the playoffs, more than Lee would.

First of all, Maggs is a career .323/.403/.543 with men in scoring positon. If that's not clutch I don't know what is. As for the K's he had 122 in almost 900 ABs w/ RISP. You don't get any better than that from an RBI guy.

As for Konerko SHOULD having 150 RBI's. -- NO -- Miguel Tejada had 150 RBIs last year. He had 80 More at-bats with runners in scoring position, and over 100 more at-bats with runners on, than Konerko has this season.

But yeah, he should have 150 RBI :rolly

Not really....wasn't this biggest positive from having the money by shipping CLee getting AJ? Either way...the guy I miss is Frank. I guarantee we probably would be looking at a 9-10 game lead still. Which has always been posing a question in my mind...was Frank allowed to come back too soon...and would it have even mattered with his injury?

Yup. Exact same thing as Buehrle the night before.

Buehrle started an inning after throwing 103 pitches. Pitch 108 left the ballpark and was the last pitch Buehrle threw.

Garland put 2 men on with 1 out in the 7th...walked J-Honny to put the 2nd guy on, with Marte warm in the bullpen. Last at bat against Hafner, Jon had thrown like 11 pitches. First pitch to Hafner was pitch 106. Pitch 113 landed over the Center Field fence.

I know Marte has been struggling, but you don't warm up the lefty unless you're going to bring him in to face the power bat with runners on in the 7th when your pitcher is clearly at the end of what he had that day. If Ozzie wasn't comfortable using Marte in that spot then he should have had Cotts warm. That is exactly the situation you have middle relief for.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Hmmm.

Oh s***. :o

Someone's argument just got ripped to shreds.

And how many of those hits came when the Sox were up by 7 runs? His RBI were usually in meaningless situations. In tight games down a run or two, he rarely came thru, from my memory. If you dig up stats that say otherwise, I will recant. But I know I have screamed many times at Maggs striking out with runners on when down a run or two. His homeruns always seemed to remind me of Sam-me Soso's, almost meaningless because they happen when you are up 7 or down 7.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
And how many of those hits came when the Sox were up by 7 runs?  His RBI were usually in meaningless situations.  In tight games down a run or two, he rarely came thru, from my memory.  If you dig up stats that say otherwise, I will recant.  But I know I have screamed many times at Maggs striking out with runners on when down a run or two.  His homeruns always seemed to remind me of Sam-me Soso's, almost meaningless because they happen when you are up 7 or down 7.

2002-2004 Close and Late stats (down by a run or tied in the 7th or later)

Maggs -- .335/.422/.527 -- K'd 12.5% of the time

Sammy -- .231/.325/.471 -- K'd 28% of the time

Edited by Gene Honda Civic