Latest analysis

longshot7

the way it's shaping up we'll have Buehrle, Garland, and McCarthy in Cleveland next weekend. What we must do to win is this:

win tomorrow. win Monday (gain a half game on Tribe) - that gives us a two game lead. If we keep pace with Cleveland (both Sox and them should lose one game in Det & TB series - although I'm hoping the scrappy Rays can take 1 more) - we'll go into Cleveland with that 2-game lead, meaning all we have to do in Cle is win 1 and we'll clinch the division. 98 wins will win this division.

Regardless of division or wc, the postseason rotation is shaping up. Right now if we clinch the last day of the season, it will be Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Jose again if there's a game 5. IF we clinch early, win either the Buehrle start or Garland start, then we can hold Jon or Brandon (don't know if that's likely) and start them earlier in the postseason rotation - Contreras, Garland, Garcia, and Buehrle or McCarthy.

Nice blurb on BMac and Elarton Here

If McCarthy starts the season finale in Cleveland, he is likely to face Scott Elarton.

Elarton worked out at Lamar (Colo.) Community College when McCarthy was a student there.

"I remember him," Elarton said. "I saw him and said, 'That kid grew up in a hurry.'"

McCarthy also recalls Elarton, who is 6 feet 8 inches and 240 pounds compared to McCarthy's 6-7, 190.

"I remember meeting him and thinking, 'This guy is an absolute giant,'" he said. "We talked a little bit. I tried to pester him a couple of times, but we never had any in-depth discussions."

Cleveland is unconscious right now. They're on one of those streaks like the A's used to get on where they won 18 or 20 in a row. I don't see them losing until they play the Sox. Like Jermaine Dye said, "if Cleveland runs the table then they deserve to win the division."

The Sox will have their hands full tomorrow with Liriano. I'd be happy if the Sox enter Cleveland needing to win 1 or 2 to win the division. If they trail and need to sweep...see you in the Bronx.