Jermaine Dye

DBAHO

Before the season began, I remember Gene Honda Civic predicted that Dye could go .280/30HR/100RBI's due to the Cell Factor. Well after tonight, he's hit the 30HR mark and is hitting .273 with 84RBI's. For $4,000,000 this season compared to other RF's making about the same amount or more;

Richard Hidalgo - .211/.286/.412 ($5,000,000)

Casey Blake - .240/.311/.442 ($2,250,000)

Jeromy Burnitz - .260/.326/.439 ($4,500,000)

Jacque Jones - .251/.323/.446 ($5,000,000)

Aubrey Huff - .262/.320/426 ($4,916,667)

He ranks 7th in OPS for qualified RF's and is 2nd in SLG behind Vlad. He's been a great pick up to replace Maggs.

He stayed healthy. That was the big question coming into this year. Aside from some spider bites...he stayed healthy. Those were the numbers he was going to put up if healthy.

Far cry from May...when 1/2 of this board was calling for his head on a platter.

Man I'm glad I stuck by the guy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Before the season began, I remember Gene Honda Civic predicted that Dye could go .280/30HR/100RBI's due to the Cell Factor. Well after tonight, he's hit the 30HR mark and is hitting .273 with 84RBI's. For $4,000,000 this season compared to other RF's making about the same amount or more;

Richard Hidalgo - .211/.286/.412 ($5,000,000)

Casey Blake - .240/.311/.442 ($2,250,000)

Jeromy Burnitz - .260/.326/.439 ($4,500,000)

Jacque Jones - .251/.323/.446 ($5,000,000)

Aubrey Huff - .262/.320/426 ($4,916,667)

He ranks 7th in OPS for qualified RF's and is 2nd in SLG behind Vlad. He's been a great pick up to replace Maggs.

Yes, Dead I mean Dye :P has been huge for us this season besides that forgetful semi first half slump.

If it weren't for him we would be in BIG trouble. Props to Dye on getting back on track and contributing to a team that really needs him. :cheers :headbang

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Too bad we didn't sign Emil Brown.  He's from Chicago, makes less than 1/10 of Dye's salary, and has actually been better than Dye this year.

I don't agree with that.

Dye has 15 more HR's than Brown.

He has a better slugging percentage.

He has a better arm than Brown.

I don't think Brown's going to put up the same numbers next season as this one though, this is the only time in his career, he's been effective in the major leagues.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
I don't agree with that.

I don't think Brown's going to put up the same numbers next season as this one though, this is the only time in his career, he's been effective in the major leagues.

For the money brown>>> dye.

No?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
I don't agree with that.

Brown 2 less RBI with 15 less home runs? wow.

Brown has a higher batting average.

He has a higher OBP.

Brown 88 runs created, Dye 72 runs created.

Brown 18 win shares, Dye 15 win shares (that's with Dye's inflated and Brown's deflated.)

They both suck in the field.

05 Brown > 05 Dye. Not even taking salary into consideration.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Before the season began, I remember Gene Honda Civic predicted that Dye could go .280/30HR/100RBI's due to the Cell Factor.

.270+/.340/.490 -- 30 HR's 90+ RBI's 120K's

also...

Dye will out-perform Maggs -- I know, I know. You think I'm crazy now. But think about it. Maggs traveled all over god's green earth searching for a doctor that would give him an answer he wanted to hear. Today's workout, where Maggs was going to prove his health to prospective teams, was cancelled. Why? Hmmm... I wonder. Could it be that he's not as healthy as he'd like us to believe?

Dye is coming off of a solid, though not spectacular, season in which he was finally recovered from that horrific leg injury suffered in the 2002 playoffs. He will benefit from playing 81 games in one of the most hitter friendly parks in baseball. Magglio? Who knows. Now I should qualify my assertion that Dye will "outperform" Maggs. I mean that Dye will have better counting stats than will Magglio.  I would take a bet of Dye's HR+RBI vs. Maggs HR+RBI, so long as Maggs doesn't somehow end up in Coors field.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
Too bad we didn't sign Emil Brown.  He's from Chicago, makes less than 1/10 of Dye's salary, and has actually been better than Dye this year.

Even KC fans were pissed he made the team. -- Simply put, nobody could have seen his season coming.

He's Ross Gload though. Zero pitchers fear him. The chances of him putting together a repeat .800 OPS season are slim and none.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Brown 2 less RBI with 15 less home runs? wow.

Brown has a higher batting average.

He has a higher OBP.

Brown 88 runs created, Dye 72 runs created.

Brown 18 win shares, Dye 15 win shares (that's with Dye's inflated and Brown's deflated.)

They both suck in the field.

05 Brown > 05 Dye.  Not even taking salary into consideration.

Brown's been hitting in the cleanup spot because KC has no-one else to put there. Dye's hitting at #6. If Dye hits at #4 for KC, how many more RBI would he put up with the likes of DeJesus and Sweeney in front of him? But like Gene said, the chances of Brown putting up another season like this are slim to none.

If you take away Dye's bad start, he'd have a .300+ AVG as well. After Brown's May and June, he's only hitting around the .270's with pretty weak power.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Brown's been hitting in the cleanup spot because KC has no-one else to put there. Dye's hitting at #6. If Dye hits at #4 for KC, how many more RBI would he put up with the likes of DeJesus and Sweeney in front of him?

The majority of Brown's AB's come from the #5 spot. Going into tonight's game, Brown had 134 AB's with RISP, Dye had 127 AB's with RISP. Hitting cleanup didn't give him a colossal advantage. Brown had 1 more RBI with 14 less home runs.

But like Gene said, the chances of Brown putting up another season like this are slim to none.

Probably true. But my argument the whole time is that Brown has been better this year. I'd account for the fact that pitchers don't fear him, but I don't know how.

If you take away Dye's bad start, he'd have a .300+ AVG as well.

Aunt. Balls. Uncle. I took away Dye's two worst months and he still wasn't a .300 hitter. Take away Brown's one terrible month (

After Brown's May and June, he's only hitting around the .270's with pretty weak power.

Let me get this straight, you want to remove Dye's worst months, remove Brown's best months, and then compare them? That's fair.

Brown's been hitting in the cleanup spot because KC has no-one else to put there. Dye's hitting at #6. If Dye hits at #4 for KC, how many more RBI would he put up with the likes of DeJesus and Sweeney in front of him? But like Gene said, the chances of Brown putting up another season like this are slim to none.

If you take away Dye's bad start, he'd have a .300+ AVG as well. After Brown's May and June, he's only hitting around the .270's with pretty weak power.

It doesn't matter where he hit in the line up, even if he hit 9th, he should of knocked in the winning run in the 9th inning against the Twins the first game, he choked, but has picked it up the last 2 games. Lets hope he continues to do it the rest of the year.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
It doesn't matter where he hit in the line up, even if he hit 9th, he should of knocked in the winning run in the 9th inning against the Twins the first game, he choked, but has picked it up the last 2 games. Lets hope he continues to do it the rest of the year.

And he won the game the other day with his 3-run HR..

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)

I've been watching games for over 40 years so I'm pretty good at not letting momentary swings of emotion get to me. But that one stuck. There are only 3 or 4 outcomes to that at bat that don't score the run and he found one of them.

The pitch was absolutely perfect for him, in the middle about thigh high with almost no movement. I think that's what surprised him, his eyes got big as saucers, he tried to put it on the moon and he popped it up. I don't think he went up there trying for a homer but it was such a cookie he just reacted -and missed. aaaaargh!

He's done great things since then, the White Sox don't win Friday without him, so I am not on his case but, Oh boy did Thursday's at bat hurt. Every day is a new day in baseball, bless Jermaine for putting it behind him and playing well. I haven't quite put that one behind me yet.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
This is exactly how timo gets by. People just remember when he is ''clutch'' and happen to forget when he not so... ''clutch''.

His "clutch" rating at THT is second worst among AL right fielders. -4.2.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Come again? Dye sucks in the field? Uh...

Uh...Uh...

Second worst fielding percentage amongst all qualified OUTFIELDERS in entire MLB.

I can think of two games in particular where errors by him in the 9th inning directly resulted in a loss. Not to mention the times he's overrun a ball or shown off his cannon by missing the cutoff man and allowing runners to advance.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
This is exactly how timo gets by. People just remember when he is ''clutch'' and happen to forget when he not so... ''clutch''.

Nah, I remember when he's not so clutch, I'm just pointing it out since people seem to look over that fact.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Dye used to be good in the field but those days are behind him.  He has been pretty bad out there this season not liability bad but below avg.  Rowand is like our savior out there defensivly with Pods and Dye at the corners.

How many times has Dye's arm stopped runners going from 1st to 3rd. We were terrible at holding guys for years. Maggs was horrible at it. Minnesota ate us alive going from 1st to 3rd.