Jermaine Dye

DBAHO

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
How many times has Dye's arm stopped runners going from 1st to 3rd. We were terrible at holding guys for years. Maggs was horrible at it. Minnesota ate us alive going from 1st to 3rd.

What are you talking about? Magglio has a pretty good arm too. Not as good as Dye but he had a lot more range than Dye in the field too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
What are you talking about?  Magglio has a pretty good arm too.  Not as good as Dye but he had a lot more range than Dye in the field too.

Aaron Roward disagrees with you. He has stated that both corner outfielders cover more ground than last year's pair.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Aaron Roward disagrees with you.  He has stated that both corner outfielders cover more ground than last year's pair.

Well than he is lieing because you can see how bad Dye's range is and you can look at the stats. As for Pods im not sure on that. With his speed in LF it makes up for his bad fielding skills and Clee wasnt that good in the first place although he was improving each year.

i told all my friends that jermaine dye would make sox fans forget about carlos lee. they all laughed at me. for the record....

BA OBP SLG HR RBI R SB AB Salary

Dye: .272 .328 .511 30 84 71 11 513 $4 million

Lee: .267 .326 .497 32 111 82 12 592 $8 million

The only place lee is drastically better is in RBI, which is team influenced, and also due to the fact that dye has 80 fewer ABs.

Taking salary into account, especially in a year where corner OF were going for 10+ million dollars, this stat line alone should almost give KW exec. of the year. Then consider that KW got Marcus Giles with fewer doubles in iguchi, and the second best catcher in the AL in AJ for the remaining 4 million that was covered in the dye/lee trade off, and KWs offseason was downright ridiculous

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
No maybe not I havent watched a lot of Detroit games.  But when Magglio was here he was a good fielder with a good arm.  Dye is a bad fielder with a great arm.

Magglio was an average fielder with a poor RF arm. He didn't have good range. He came in on balls well, but got bad reads off the bat and struggled going back. Saying Maggs had a "good arm" is just bulls***. Sorry. You're wrong. What RF havef worse throwing arms than Maggs?

Carlos Lee went from being the worst LF I'd ever seen to being a below average fielder with virtually no range.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
Magglio was an average fielder with a poor RF arm. He didn't have good range. He came in on balls well, but got bad reads off the bat and struggled going back. Saying Maggs had a "good arm" is just bulls***. Sorry. You're wrong. What RF havef worse throwing arms than Maggs?

Carlos Lee went from being the worst LF I'd ever seen to being a below average fielder with virtually no range.

Actually I dont thin I am wrong. Magglio was just an avg. fielder but his arm wasnt poor by any means. Its not an arm like Timo's or Dye's but its a good arm.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
This is exactly why we should trade Dye.  His value has peaked.

Dye showed loyalty when he signed as a FA by sticking to his deal even though he was offered more to go elsewhere. If the sox want to be able to sign other FA's in the next few yrs, they won't deal Dye. Esp as he's been a bargain, been very productive and prob. still will be next yr.

If Dye sucked, was a headcase in the clubhouse, then they could deal him. He's more than held up his end of the deal. He'll stay in 2006

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Esp as he's been a bargain, been very productive and prob. still will be next yr.

This is the most productive and injury free year he has had since 2000, what makes you think that he can continue after having a peak season. Law of the norm says he will revert back to his true form. This is his peak value. I think trading him would be a good business move.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
a good business move.

Maybe it would be a good business move. Whether it would be a good basebll move, I don't think so. The Sox haven't exactly been a free agent mecca. Treating guys like Dye s***ty [trading him while at his "peak value", while he has done everything and more than what was expected of him and been a pro's pro all year], I don't think it would bode well for other FA's who might be looking to come to the Sox. Dye is respected through out the league, and has a really affordable contract.

So in the short term could Anderson outpeform Dye? Maybe. Maybe not. But it could have consequences down the line, if Dye got his walking papers. Even though his contract or performance weren't the biggest issues

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Maybe it would be a good business move. Whether it would be a good basebll move, I don't think so. The Sox haven't exactly been a free agent mecca. Treating guys like Dye s***ty [trading him while at his "peak value", while he has done everything and more than what was expected of him and been a pro's pro all year], I don't think it would bode well for other FA's who might be looking to come to the Sox. Dye is respected through out the league, and has a really affordable contract.

So in the short term could Anderson outpeform Dye? Maybe. Maybe not. But it could have consequences down the line, if Dye got his walking papers. Even though his contract or performance weren't the biggest issues

You have to face the facts that baseball is a business. If these "relationships" were such a huge deal, then how is our release of Shingo perceived? Or how about when we let Frank, and Konerko walk? The fact is, the players on your team are the only opinions that matter. Trading Dye right now is a smart move, Anderson is ready, and we could use the money to get a bigger FA to play 1B or the middle IF. We may also need another bullpen arm. These are pieces of the puzzle that mean more than what someone thinks of you team. Every team makes moves like this, its a business, not high school.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
You have to face the facts that baseball is a business.  If these "relationships" were such a huge deal, then how is our release of Shingo perceived?  Or how about when we let Frank, and Konerko walk?  The fact is, the players on your team are the only opinions that matter.  Trading Dye right now is a smart move, Anderson is ready, and we could use the money to get a bigger FA to play 1B or the middle IF.  We may also need another bullpen arm. These are pieces of the puzzle that mean more than what someone thinks of you team.  Every team makes moves like this, its a business, not high school.

The odds of Dye putting up a good season next year will be better than Shingo at this time last season, simply because the Cell is heaven for HR hitters. Dye should be around next season, he took less money to come here and dealing him before his contract is up won't look good to potential FA's who want to sign with us. If Anderson is going to replace anyone, it should be Pods or Rowand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
You have to face the facts that baseball is a business.  If these "relationships" were such a huge deal, then how is our release of Shingo perceived?  Or how about when we let Frank, and Konerko walk?  The fact is, the players on your team are the only opinions that matter.  Trading Dye right now is a smart move, Anderson is ready, and we could use the money to get a bigger FA to play 1B or the middle IF.  We may also need another bullpen arm. These are pieces of the puzzle that mean more than what someone thinks of you team.  Every team makes moves like this, its a business, not high school.

What I'm saying is getting rid of Dye could affect the sox ability TO sign other FA's. they and their agents see [in your scenario] Dye traded with time left on his contract, after he was cheap and productive, then it could be them too. Few guys will want to sign if they could play with the sox for one year and be traded to the Reds or D-Rays the next

Dye's contract is affordable and he's better than most FA's that will be on the market in '06. My bet is Anderson starts in AAA, and is insurance in case someone gets hurt. The other OFers stay set

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
What I'm saying is getting rid of Dye could affect the sox ability TO sign other FA's. they and their agents see [in your scenario] Dye traded with time left on his contract, after he was cheap and productive, then it could be them too. Few guys will want to sign if they could play with the sox for one year and be traded to the Reds or D-Rays the next

Dye's contract is affordable and he's better than most FA's that will be on the market in '06. My bet is Anderson starts in AAA, and is insurance in case someone gets hurt. The other OFers stay set

That's only if Dye is unhappy with whatever deal is made. Why would someone like the Reds or D-Rays want him? Why would they give up younger, cheaper talent for him? Beats me.

What we'd be talking about is finding a team like St. Louis, Houston, Washington, maybe San Fran, someone like that who is already supposed to be in a pennant race next year and who could use an outfield bat, and offering them Dye in exchange for Youth. We almost certainly wouldn't be talking about consigning him to the depths of Kansas City or anything like that.

I'm actually in favor of trying to trade JD, but I understand your concern about future free agents. My comment in reply would be that we have to make sure Dye is OK with it...and that he doesn't come out of it talking like Ordonez about Ozzie or KW. Basically we need to give him an effective veto over any trade...if he doesn't want to go somewhere, since he was nice enough to come play for us, we should treat him with dignity back.