Sox Offense has stepped it up in Sept.

beck72

The Sox offense has hit very well in Sept. a big question mark all year. For the year the sox spot in various categories:

Runs: 9th, w/ 710;

avg: 12th, .262;

OBP: 12th, .322

SLG: 8th, .426

In Sept, they have stepped it up:

Runs: 7th,

avg: 5th, .276;

OBP: 4th, .339;

SLG: 3rd, .462

I don't have the splits for how the Sox have hit w/ RISP for Sept. But I know the sox were very very poor in that department, something like 6 for 43 in their last 6-8 games before Friday night. For the year the sox last in the AL in Runs, w/ RISP and last with an .260 avg. Yet for the yr, they are 6th w/ RISP and 2 outs, hitting .249

The sox are hitting better, yet not coming through w/ RISP. The Sox are getting more guys on base this month, and should be able to manufacture more runs than in the past. If the sox keep up the solid SP, and give the bullpen some rest, the sox offense should be ready for the playoffs

QUOTE(HeGone! @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm glad to see these numbers, but obviously it sucks that they're not getting the kind of clutch hitting that would win them games in the first half of the season

The Sox hadn't got the clutch hitting even when they were winning. What they did get was solid situational hitting [going to the opposite field, SF's and SH's, hit and runs]. They were playing to win, putting pressure on the defense. They have been playing not to lose lately.

But with the better hitting lately, they have more room for error then they did earlier in the yr when a lot of guys were ice cold at the plate

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
The Sox hadn't got the clutch hitting even when they were winning. What they did get was solid situational hitting [going to the opposite field, SF's and SH's, hit and runs]. They were playing to win, putting pressure on the defense. They have been playing not to lose lately.

But with the better hitting lately, they have more room for error then they did earlier in the yr when a lot of guys were ice cold at the plate

Their pitching definitley isn't as good as it was the first half so I don't know if they have more room for error exactly.

Either way, they need to hit better with RISP if they want to win.

Again, this may very well be 1 of those cases where the sample size is obscuring the real trend.

By saying "September" you include tha t7 game winning streak against Detroit et al. where the offense, and Konerko in particular, was just on fire.

But on the other hand...our offense outside of that streak has clearly been struggling, at least until basically yesterday.

I wonder what happens if you take just hte last 7 days...although we scored a fairly large number against Cleveland in 2 of the 3 games.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Their pitching definitley isn't as good as it was the first half so I don't know if they have more room for error exactly.

Either way, they need to hit better with RISP if they want to win.

Actually, the Sept. pitching ERA is close to the season ERA.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Again, this may very well be 1 of those cases where the sample size is obscuring the real trend.

By saying "September" you include tha t7 game winning streak against Detroit et al. where the offense, and Konerko in particular, was just on fire.

But on the other hand...our offense outside of that streak has clearly been struggling, at least until basically yesterday.

I wonder what happens if you take just hte last 7 days...although we scored a fairly large number against Cleveland in 2 of the 3 games.

While it may be a small sample, seeing how this is the last month, it is important how the hitters are doing. And the over 20 games this month, the sox have shown improvement getting runners on. It's getting the runners in that's been the problem

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
That maybe,  but Buehrle,  Garland,  and Garcia clearly haven't pitched like they did in the first half.

No they haven't. But contreras and Bmac have pitched better than the sox 4th and 5th guys earlier in the yr